The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ambitious Card ending (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
I know there have a few thread on ths topic but I did search before I asked

Im learning the routine from RRTCM, I'm having trouble with the card to pocket ending, it just doesn't make sense as part of the routine to me, The patter I'm working in based on a celebrity card always wanting the lime light. I thought of showing the top card not the card then cutting the deck showing the two other cards also not the card I'm looking for, then ribbon spreading the pack face down for the "curtain call" and finding the card face up

how does this sound?
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I've tried to come up with a unique ending that everyone isn't doing. I'd say the thing to watch out for is making the routine too long. How will you get the card face up in the middle? Braue reversal?
~Joe
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
At the moment it quite a short routine 4 phase I think, The reversal used is the 4th one in RRTC and done when I show that the card isn't on top, bottom, the cut the pack to show its not in the middle.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Migwar, Sounds like a nice snappy routine. Short enough and easy to follow. If your audience's eyes pop and they yell, "Brilliant!", then you know you've got it just the way you want it.

Make sure that you have fun with it, then they will go along for the fun ride with you.
You have to give it away to keep it.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Check out the DVD series by Al Schneider. At the end of his routine the original signed card is found inside the card case which has been on the table the whole time. More logical than card to pocket.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Ultimate Ambition by Daryl or Single Ambition by Jay Sankey.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
I second "Ultimate Ambition by Daryl", excellent!

Hirase
In love with magic!
rvigon
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
266 Posts

Profile of rvigon
Cliped by sankey cant beat it
"No brilliance is required in magic, just determination and relatively clean fingernails."
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
David Forrest's Holey Ambition is great.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Migwar, your final revelation seems to me to have some well-thought-out presentational logic. If I may suggest, perhaps you might rethink those "proving moves" you mentioned, to wit:

Quote:
I thought of showing the top card not the card then cutting the deck showing the two other cards also not the card I'm looking for

I understand that you would like to dispel any suspicions on the part of the audience, but you can also undermine yourself in the process - when you prove that you're not "being tricky", you turn people's minds back to thoughts of trickery. It's better to do something seemingly offhand which looks like an idle gesture, yet which lets people see (if they're looking) that everything is aboveboard.

Here's an example (I'm not necessarily saying this is something you should do): Suppose you control your card reversed to bottom. As you deliver your final line(s), casually run the cards from left hand to right hand, as you would do when offering the deck for a selection, taking a little care at the end not to "flash". Then do a Spread Pass as you close the spread (angle considerations might rule out that specific move, but you get the idea). People see the deck in good order and you aren't blatantly trying to prove that you're clean, which might tend to make people suspect that you're not.

Cheers,

Seraph
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
That's a great idea thanks, il try that and see how it goes
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
You're very welcome. Here's another idea, just for fun:

You have the card controlled as I described. Overhand shuffle the deck, shuffling off about half, then throwing the rmainder on top. As you do this, say something like "And amid the crowd, among the faceless masses..."

[By now the shuffle should be complete. If you're standing, fan the deck; if you have a table, Ribbon Spread.]

"One face stands out."

Tada!

Not the greatest dialog, perhaps, but the line is meant to give some reason for shuffling just before the climax of the effect. The face-down cards going by are the "faceless masses". The audience gets the chance to see the deck, and all seems well. Careful not to "flash" as you do the shuffle. This might be a better strategem for situations when angle restrictions disfavor the Spread Pass.

TTFN

seraph
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Look at the sticky in the care forum there are several threads on ending an ACR.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
I love Daryl's version. Lately I've been ending with the floating card from Mesika. It kills everytime.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ambitious Card ending (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL