The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Coinvanish Volume 2. Reviews anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1032 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Can someone who has this shed some light on this one?

Thanks
Kid
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
I actually wrote a quite comprehensive review of this book a while back. Check it out here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

Hope this helps!

-Karl
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of John Born
Sounds interesting...Dan is a great thinker and a really nice guy! Look forward to seeing this!!!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3491 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Dan very nicely gave me a sneak peek at CV2 and I can tell you that no matter what your level of experience or knowledge happens to be, if you have an interest in coin magic, you'll find a lot to like here. Some highlights:

The coins across routine that everyone's talking about, and perhaps the first time someone has published a practical handling for this particular plot. The impression it creates is that the coins travel from hand to hand. The twist is that it's the spectator's hands, not yours. As you can see from the banner ad, your hands are still in the picture, but the routine is very clean, quite magical, and different enough to follow most other coins acrosses. I haven't seen Dan do this for the layfolk, but I expect that reactions are very good. A big step forward from CV1, both in vision and in execution. Darn impressive for a guy's second book.

But that's not my personal favorite. There's a c/s/b routine done under similar conditions, with a transposition that occurs as you drop the coins into the spectator's hands. Then, before they can react, you pick the coins up and they transpose back. It creates the impression of an instant replay, and again, should put some jaws on the floor. Along the way, Dan responds to some of the objections voiced on the Café about these routines, and has avoided any potentially confusing pocket sequences or exposure.

Or maybe you're looking for a holdout for a coin or two, one that does not require you to wear a jacket, a vest, a watch, long sleeves or anything that you don't already carry with you every day. You don't need to gaff the coins, and your total outlay to make this is a couple of bucks, at most. This is the idea from the book that gets people up and thinking as soon as they hear it.

And there's more, covering most preferences and skill levels. Overall, the skill required is what I'd consider intermediate, which means that the more impressive effects will and do require varying amounts of gaffage. But these tools are used judiciously, and Dan does a good job squeezing a lot of effect out of each one.

The book itself is attractive, and Dan does a good job describing not only the workings of the routines, but some of the thinking behind them. He has once again deviated from the traditonal black background for the photographs, opting instead to place the photos of his hands on the same white background as the text. This tends to bring the text and photos closer together, to good effect.

Drop by Dan's site to see the delivery options. It's available as a download, or a full color hardcopy, last I heard. As I said, it's a stimulating read full of practical material, and I think you can't help but like it. See his site for more details, I believe he does warn you that to do one of the routines, you'll have to purchase a specialized gaff that you might not already own. But you'll want to after reading what it does. So there, you've been warned and hopefully, sufficiently teased. Buy it.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1032 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Thanks Karl and Curtis for the detailed reviews, sounds real good. I will follow your advise and purchase CV2.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Coinvanish Volume 2. Reviews anyone? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL