The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Nemo 1500 by Ken Brooke review needed (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I recently saw this performed by Johnny Thomoson in his lecture and this was so amazing that it had the few of us talking for some time. See here for details. The description in the ad doesn't justify what we saw during the live performance. Pretty pricey though.

Anyone have this?
Bernard Sim
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
From the description, it sounds similar to the Pimpernel Notecase. For those that may have seen/owned both, what makes the Pimpernel Notecase and Nemo 1500 different?
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3494 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
The Pimpernel Notecase is used to show that the spectator's previously SIGNED card is actually inside the wallet whereas the Nemo 1500 appears to be an index style wallet. The Pimpernel Notecase is a signed card to wallet effect whereas the Nemo 1500 is a prediction effect. The NEmo 1500 sounds similar to the Collectors Workshop Any Card in Wallet index style wallet. Any clarification would be helpful.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2287 Posts

Profile of Doomo
The Nemo is a prediction wallet... But NOT an index wallet... Now go away, its too good for you...
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5253 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I have it and it's a worker.
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you see anyone do it, like Johnny Thompson, you would HAPPILY PAY ANY PRICE FOR IT... I remember working with John at a trade show and he finished his set and we went to lunch.

When we came back, the five $100 bills (real ones) were still laying on his close up pad... he forgot them and believe it or not... nobody took them while we were gone.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24145 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is a wonderful piece. It has often been misatrributed to Al Koran, but it is actually Johnny's idea. I have seen Johnny do this on any number of occasions. I got one of the initial run that came from Ace Place back in the 1980's, but it had been issued by Ken Brooke long before that.

Chris Michaels came out with an unauthorized variation on it about 1976, called "Prediction 2001." It was nowhere near as good as Johnny's idea.

It is not actually a card index in the sense of the word that you have a source of 52 cards somewhere on your body or anywhere else at your disposal. There is a wallet on the table, and it has a card in it. The card that comes out of that wallet has been there all the time -- none of this "sneak a card out of something and put it somewhere else" nonsense.

The kicker is done with a second wallet. I can't say much more without tipping something I shouldn't.

Just one thing. When you get it, learn to do it exactly as explained in the instructions. I had a friend who tried to "improve" it without really understanding how it worked. It cost him a trade show. He lost the $100 bet, and wouldn't pay up. The sponsor didn't like that at all.

It also ruined that company for use of magicians at trade shows. They never hired another one.

But back to the question about a review. The description you see in the Stevens catalog is right on the money. It works exactly as stated. The principle is very clever.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The "second kicker" is I believe from Charles Reynolds... I use it as a checkbook, offering a blank signed check if I miss. Then when "you know what" is revealed on the back of the check book... you can't top that!
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I don't think the wallet idea, per se, is credited to Al Koran, but he did offer a surprise finish prediction effect long before the Nemo 1500, which involved his watch and the name of the selected card being "inscribed" on the watch. This used his clever wordplay, as the audience often misinterpreted "inscribed" to mean "engraved." Other than using a watch instead of a wallet, the effect is exactly the same, but with the distinct advantage of having to have only one watch.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Thanks for all the replies. This looks like a winner.
Bernard Sim
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have the watch version... I had forgotten about it. Of course the Nemo 1500 has more aspectes to it and the presentation, I think, is far stronger.

But when I saw Koran do the watch it was great... as mentalism. Tomsoni's version really works better for a trade show and/or formal close up show with LESS emphasis on the mentalism aspect.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2265 Posts

Profile of Logan
This one rocked so hard I almost lost my balance.

I couldn't beleive it when I saw Johnny do it. I spoke to him afterwards and got a little history about it. He informed me that he'll be releasing it (the routine) in his upcoming book...at least if I remember what he said correctly...I was still recovering from shock...
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1045 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Does anyone know if Nemo 1500 is the card routine that Terry Seabrooke does during his Parlour act at the Castle? I haven't seen Mr. Seabrooke perform for a couple of years, but I recall him doing a VERY cool card routine involving a wallet the last time I saw him perform.
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
NO, Seabrooke does a very strong version of Kollossal Killer.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2508 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
I've watched Johnny Thompson do this routine on several occasions over the past 20 years or so.

It's a worker. If you get it, don't mess it up by not preparing adequately. If you do the necessary work, you'll have a real winner.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of Daren
I assume you can do this with english notes, such as £20 or £10 or even a £5, what is the effect exactly, is it a card is in your wallet and the spec chooses one and they match is that right, is there palming involved or does the deck need to come close to the wallet, why is this priced so high at $130 just for a wallet a nd a fairly standard effect in magic, please can somone help?
Jimmy Lee
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
681 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Lee
Yeap, looks like if you have the $, you shd get thius winner. Hmmm..
Magically Yours,

Jimmy...
a guy from a tropical island in South East Asia
..oops...where did he disappeared to????
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1070 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I wonder how Nemo 1500 compares to Ken Brooke's Absolutely Impossible wallet? Or Harold Voit's Double Card Prediction Effect also on Stevens magic that claims it is just as good as Nemo 1500? Any thoughts? It looks like Nemo 1500 is a hip-style wallet whereas the A.I. wallet is a larger jacket-style wallet.

Brian
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
661 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
I have it on good authority that 'Unique Magic Collection' ( Paul Stone ), owner of the rights to the entire Ken Brooke Magic Range, is shortly bringing out a limited edition collectors model of 'Nemo 1500' which, according to several top working pros who have seen the samples ( Gaetan Bloom, Jeff Hobson and myself among others ), are of a completely different quality level to anything previously offered in the magic marketplace.

Each wallet is hand crafted in the highest quality leather and features a tastefully placed (embossed) silhouette of Ken Brooke.

Each of the limited edition collectors models come with its own Certificate of Authenticity.

I understand that this is the first release in the series of Ken Brooke collectibles and that other high quality Ken Brooke items will follow. They will be available exclusively at The Unique Magic Collection in England. Keep an eye on this thread for pricing and more information about this very exclusive series.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21108 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Cropmagi, is there a site for The Unique Magic Collection?

Nemo 1500 is a very strong mental effect. Not a card in wallet. You have a prediction in the wallet and the kicker at the finish proves the prediction. I have the original from the 1970's. Dick Stoner explained Johnny Thompson's routine at a trade show. You do not get the added further kickers that Thompson does. But it is an easy matter to use these if you wish.

The late Don Alan did this trick and stopped when he actually lost a $100. So you must know your equipment and be sure of the routine. Because if you are sloppy or forget to check everything before performance, you can lose your money. I believe Johnny Thompson once lost a number of high ticket items of the Client he was representing at a trade show once. This was a lot more then a $100.

A very good and entertaining mind blowing effect for an audience. Steven's Magic has this in stock according to their latest catalogue. Get it, it is not pricey for the effect. You get a lot of equipment with this and I believer I paid $50 for it back in 1970's. So the price has not increased as some magic has.

Absolutly Impossible is a totally different type of prediction card effect. Again it uses a wallet but in a totally different way. The effects are similiar as they are predictions but the routines are different.

Ken Brooke sold many effects that to an audience the effect would be similiar, but the effect totally different. Example: He marketed the Koornwinder Kar and Beam Shot a flashlight that found a selected cars when passed over the cards. The Kar finds a card when pushed over the cards. Same effect of discovering a cards, different methods. The same is true with assemblies.

I bet if you analyze your magic tricks you will see many of the effects are the same to an audience. If you do cig thru quarter and pencil thru bill. You think they are different tricks, but to an spectator they are the same, a penetration.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Nemo 1500 by Ken Brooke review needed (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL