The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Nemo 1500 by Ken Brooke review needed (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
584 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
I have this effect like 1 year ago, I even forgot who I bought this from.....?!
I remember they told me there would be a DVD soon(actually included) but I still haven't received any e-mail from them yet...

Anyone with the same experience? Or it's just me...?
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
eric6
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of eric6
Same for me...
magicwolverine
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of magicwolverine
Same for me despite several requests...
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
584 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Quote:
On 2008-01-09 20:42, magicwolverine wrote:
Same for me despite several requests...

What should we do?
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
magicwolverine
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

I'm open to any ideas. When I emailed them originally to order the effect, they responded to my email in a matter of minutes. Since then, they have ignored at least 5 emails asking them about the status of the promised DVD.
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
I may be wrong as I haven't seen the effect performed before but I believe you can see the wonderful Mr Thompson perform this at The Magic of Consciousness Symposium...

http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/vaop/n......473.html

The paper itself is very interesting...
http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/vaop/n......473.html
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1666 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I've been doing the Nemo 1500 Wallet forever. Seriously, forever.

It's been my closer for shows for many, many years.

Why? Frankly, it's one of the strongest pieces of commercial magic I have ever seen in my life, period, and it is a real money maker and reputation maker for a working magician.

Pete Biro said here that if any magician ever saw Johnny Thompson do this trick, they would think that it would be worth any price charged for it, and he's right.

Like all things truly magical, YOU REALLY HAVE TO SELL THIS TRICK AS A BIG DEAL AND A REAL CHALLENGE TO THE SPECTATOR to make it KILL!

When I do the trick, I do it with a $20 in the wallet, then build the money I bet up from there using the "challenge" to the spectator that "I can see that you are a man of means and experience and that a $20 is no big deal to you, so let's make it more interesting....how about $40? (I lay another $20 down).....No? $60? (Another $20 down).....$80? $100? Is that more like it? No? How about $200? $400.......and at this point I keep going until I have literally have $1,000 in cash on the wallet with the prediction in it.

Then, I toss the keys to a brand new Cadillac on top of the $1,000 in cash as the "Ultimate Challenge". By now, trust me, I have everybody's attention!!!

After the reveal and the kicker, I will always have people come up to me and say "My God that's the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life."

The commercial payoff and moneymaker: When someone sees this trick and asks you what you charge as a magician, you can honestly tell them..."Just enough to be able to do that trick....."....and it makes sense to them!!!
magicwolverine
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Several years and dozens of emails later...still no promised DVD.
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1135 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Nemo 1500 needs a strong presentation, there´s no doubt. and with this effect you can concentrate on presentaion, cause there are no moves or whatever. I like those effects where you just can concentrate on presentation, and don't have to worry about anything else. this is a showmans peace, and a really strong one!
kiki
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20463 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I seriously think if you need a DVD then you are not interested in purchasing the trick. Most people that yell, I want a to see it on video, never buy it they just like to watch videos.

I purchased this effect straight from the late Ken Brooke in the 1970's. All he had to say I am selling a commercial trick that Johnny Thompson uses in his Trade Shows.

With the effect of a professional magician and trusting Ken Brooke for putting out only the finest magic effects in the world. I sent my check air mail. I have not regreted that decision ever since.

One reason why no video is made available, is because to get the real reaction of the spectators, you have to do it without any pre-arranged set-up of camera and staging. It would probably fall flat as most of this type of effects do on video. As it is the excitement of the spectators and their facial experessions that tell the story on the effect.

The effect is a simple one, the cards are delt, one card at a time face up, until the spectator calls stop. The magician says he has made a prediction of a card and a duplicate of that card is in this wallet. It matches the selected card stopped at. The wallet is turned over and imbossed into the leather of the wallet is the name of the card chosen also.

Sounds a lot like many prediction effects on the market, what makes this different is the routine provided. The excitemen the performer conjurors up in the way of a wager, leading to a double climax.

If you won't purchase it without a video, then don't buy it! I don't want to many people doing the same tricks as I do anyway. So I hope none of you purchase this effect. It is to good to be done by amateurs, that don't understand what good commercial magic is all about and how to perform it.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
magicwolverine
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Nope, wmhegbli...

I did buy it years ago and have performed it ever since. I love it and so does everyone that I show it to. It's wonderful.

When I purchased it they promised to send a DVD "any day now." I don't need the DVD, of course, but it's dishonest and unethical not to have sent it.

Crazy assumptions in your post.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1666 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I got mine from Joe Stevens during an early Desert Magic Seminar in Las Vegas in the early 80's and have been doing it ever since.

I spent some quality time talking with Johnny Thompson about his presentation......he is such a nice guy....and gave me such great tips.

Johnny, Marshall Brodien and Eddie Tulloch and Bud Dietrich pretty much pioneered and "opened up" the entire field of trade show magic, and trust me, these guys know what they're talking about and know how to make money doing magic.

Interesting tidbit....the magician who has taught me the most about making money in magic is my good friend Dick Oslund......his tips and commercial ideas about how to make a buck or two doing magic are priceless.

Dick is the one who gave me the idea of telling people who have seen the trick and want to book me to do magic and ask how much I charge and I tell them
"Just enough to be able to do the trick."...In other words, I have just set and justified my STARTING price of $1,000 and it makes perfect sense to the person asking the question. It's a perfect price-settintg tool!!!

Back to the trick, though.....(FOR WORKING PROS working in the right environment (pros will know what I mean, here)) the NEMO 1500 is a SERIOUS MIND-BLOWER and EXTREMELY COMMERCIAL.....in my opinion, the best trick I have ever purchased, and I've purchased a LOT!!!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6804 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I saw Johnny Thompson perform this a few years ago and it was incredible (like everything else he performed!). I honestly don't know how it works, Well, perhaps I do know how it works but his presentation was so good that it totally threw me off any method. This is something I will definitely have to invest in someday.
Moment's Notice 10: Six Impromptu Card Effects Available Now!
http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-10.html
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
780 Posts

Profile of andykean
Buy the Paul Stone edition is my recommendation
pure quality!
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
This is the link to get this from Stevens Magic:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......id=11297

Bob Phillips
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
2757 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I wouldnt deal the cards face up. Face down, yes. Then show them that the card before and the card after the place they stopped are different cards.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1666 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Rowdymagi5,

With all due respect, I have to disagree with you.

In my experience, the trick is MUCH STRONGER with the spectator dealing the cards face up.

Without tipping the goods here, let me just say that the instructions specificy this, and I have also confirmed this verbally with Johnny Thompson.

I'm not saying that dealing the cards face down won't work; but again, in my experience (and in Johnny Thompson's...I confirmed this with him years ago)...face up is STRONGER.

Let's just say that dealing the cards face up psychologically is much more baffling to the spectator(s).

Its show biz, ya know!
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1135 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Quote:
On 2010-08-24 08:58, Rainboguy wrote:
Rowdymagi5,

With all due respect, I have to disagree with you.

In my experience, the trick is MUCH STRONGER with the spectator dealing the cards face up.

Without tipping the goods here, let me just say that the instructions specificy this, and I have also confirmed this verbally with Johnny Thompson.

I'm not saying that dealing the cards face down won't work; but again, in my experience (and in Johnny Thompson's...I confirmed this with him years ago)...face up is STRONGER.

Let's just say that dealing the cards face up psychologically is much more baffling to the spectator(s).

Its show biz, ya know!

yes, face up IS stronger!
kiki
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3527 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, face up is stronger and it is no problem to do so. And Kiki: Look up the "Magie" January 2008; there I gave some additional ideas... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20463 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-08-21 06:13, magicwolverine wrote:
Nope, wmhegbli...

I did buy it years ago and have performed it ever since. I love it and so does everyone that I show it to. It's wonderful.

When I purchased it they promised to send a DVD "any day now." I don't need the DVD, of course, but it's dishonest and unethical not to have sent it.

Crazy assumptions in your post.

It may be that the holder of the rights to Ken Brooke items in England (think his name is David Stone, his last name is Stone, anyway) originally said he would have DVDs for many of the Ken Brooke items he had manufactured. He only finally came out with one for Alan Shaxon Confabulaton, but never followed through with the rest. This Shaxon DVD was only a taping of his trick and no explaination of the written material. Stone has once again sort of faded from view, so he never followed though with his promise. I really wanted to see the handling for the Nemo Rising Cards, but that never appeared as well.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Nemo 1500 by Ken Brooke review needed (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL