The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Flosso's Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2804 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Al Flosso was well known for his Miser's Dream/Aerial Treasury routine. The sad fact is that this seems to be the only routine of his captured on video. Al did a full show along the lines of Max Malini. So the question is what other routines did he do? On the Magic Ranch spot he also did 20th Century Silks. I know he did a great egg bag routine where he would have a person from the back of the audience repeatedly come up to check the bag. I have also heard that he did the Die Box and probably created the "I can do it visibly or invisibly" bit. He is also credited with the blindfold bit for the Card Duck. Anyone one on the Café remember seeing Al do his act and the other tricks he perform?
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18274 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I saw Al do the rising cards (a Martin mechanical deck) in a goblet. He gave me the goblet (or a spare) and his line on the last card was great. Spectator holding the goblet and last card isn't rising, Al would say "Squeeze the glass, squeeze the glass... (the card, a King would then rise and he'd say...) Here comes the King, here comes the King."

His production of the stack of Alarm Clocks was also a classic.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2804 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
His production of the stack of Alarm Clocks was also a classic.

Nobody sleeps while I'm working!
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Did Flosso use the abbott's nested alarm clocks or was there other versions. Sad so little is toldf about this fabulous mans program, tricks and bits. A little in Ricky Jay's documentary but I've always found Flosso so awesome.

Any other info about him would be much appreciated.

THanks,
Dartagnan
Got Warpo Files? Only one of the best street magic resources you've never listened to...www.bit.ly/warpoone
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
793 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2015, MagicofDesperado wrote:
Did Flosso use the abbott's nested alarm clocks or was there other versions. Sad so little is toldf about this fabulous mans program, tricks and bits. A little in Ricky Jay's documentary but I've always found Flosso so awesome.

Any other info about him would be much appreciated.

THanks,
Dartagnan

Gary Brown, "Coney Island Fakir: The Magical Life of Al Flosso" (circa $4 as an ebook, circa $370 used hardcover)
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1322 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Todd:

I met Al Flosso (real name Albert Levinson) in 1966 while in my junior year in high school in St. Louis during a class trip to NYC.

The hotel we stayed at in New York was right across the street from the Flosso/Hornman Magic shop. The magic shop looked like a tornado hit it as tricks/books/magazines were piled up in total disarray..BUT Al was very approachable and I spent what seemed like an hour talking to him. He did show me a few tricks but since that was almost 50 years ago I can't remember what they were. I do remember he called me ""Kid".....

I have seen the video of Al doing his miser's dream and it was a classic.....it convinced me that body loads worked so I used them with strings of sausages, etc. during my "early days" of performing Magic.

His patter and timing were astounding! What a guy!

Dick Oslund was over at my house last Thursday and we talked about Al and his Miser's Dream routine....we both loved it but agreed that body loads in Today's world is a no-no.......the reasoning being......the possibility of a lawsuit due to "improper" touching of children.....
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
3180 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
This little anecdote may give readers an "idea" of how "strong" an impact that Al had in the New York area!

I flew into NYC in 1964, to attend the IBM Convention. We landed across the river in New Jersey. I took the ferry and grabbed a cab in NYC. The "typical" New York cabbie, asked me, "What are you doing in "the city"? I told him: "Magicians convention."

The cabbie said, "If you're going to be here for several days, you should go out to Coney Island. There's a 'little guy' in the sideshow, who does a very funny act, pulling coins from a boy's ears, and nose, etc."

I had heard of Al Flosso, but, had never met him. One of my friends from my Navy days in Norfolk, VA, Chuck Windley, had spent a summer, working in HUBERT'S "dime" MUSEUM, in the mid '50s. (Chuck was 16, and had "fibbed" about his age to get hired.) Chuck got to know Al very well. I have written several anecdotes about Chuck and Al, in the book.

In the dealers' room,at the convention, Al walked by, and I asked him: "Mr. Flosso, when were you working at Coney Island?" He replied: "MANY years ago!" I said, "You will be pleased to hear that "the public" hasn't forgotten you!" I told him about the cab driver. He smiled, and I could tell that he was pleased! We visited, briefly.

A few years later, when I was "inhabiting" the charlie Miller Suite at "Inc." Al arrived early for the Collector's Weekend, and Jay and I "took" Al to see the "other Al" (HEBA HABA AL). Al and I became friends that weekend and cut up a few "jackpots". Over the next few years, we got better and better acquainted. (Many sessions at Frances' kitchen table.) The last time he attended the Collector's, I drove him out to O'Hare on a Sunday afternoon. As he left, he turned, and said: "Stay healthy,Dick!" I still miss him.

He played the "It's Magic" TV show in New York in the early '50s,and did the Button hole flower, the paper hat, the coins, and the hat production. On Don Alan's "Magic Ranch" I remember the 20th Century Silks,and the coin pail,especially. I think Jay gave me a copy of the Don Alan show. (If I remember, correctly, Jay had bought all the "tapes" from WGN.

Rainboguy and I discussed Al's coin pail routine last week, and we agreed (see his post above) that it would probably be a "no no" today.

BOB BAXT worked for Al. HE might have some more information about Al's act.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1322 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
For some reason, I can't copy and paste the direct link, but if you go to www.youtube.com and search for "Al Flosso" the first video that comes up is a video of Al Flosso doing his Miser's Dream bit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Flosso's Act (0 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2015 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.095065 seconds, requiring 32 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [8] [9] [8] [2] [8] [6] [2] [9]