The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » "Can you make my wife disappear??" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Don't know wether or not its been said but for the past 12 yrs my Response has been......
"Been trying that with my wife for the past 25 yrs ....& she's still there!!"
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Can you make my wife disappear ?
Just carry on being yourself sir,she`ll vanish soon enough. Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Really like "No. That's the Sorcerer's Guild. It's a union thing. Sorry." but prefer the sunset line as it flatters both parties. No desire to **** off someone who is enjoying my act..
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 18:46, djurmann wrote:
Really like "No. That's the Sorcerer's Guild. It's a union thing. Sorry." but prefer the sunset line as it flatters both parties. No desire to **** off someone who is enjoying my act..

Best answer ever!

Hudson
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Magicians don't make things disappear, they make things invisible.... You don't want that do you?
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I always thought that a good response to "Can you make my wife disappear" or any of the similar comments so often made is to genuinely laugh like you have never heard it before.
People often say things like this because they are nervous or they want to make an impression on their friends and they are looking for a laugh - why not give it to them? By all means after you have laughed look at the wife and shrug and say "What can you do?" or whatever but maybe give the guy his moment of glory.

Six months ago my girlfriend broke her arm and after it was plastered in hospital the doctor said to rest it for 6 weeks. I said "But who's going to do the washing up?". He laughed as he got with his notes. Afterwards my girlfriend said "How often do you think he has heard that before?"
Of course he had heard that before, countless times probably, though to me it was a new experience just as seeing a magician is a unique experience for most people too.

I once watched a stand-up comedian get heckled by someone and the heckle was very funny. Instead of putting him down the comedian just said "Now you are a funny guy!". It was a really nice moment.

I'm not saying it is the only way to go but maybe, before leaping in with a riposte, just let the spectator have his moment when he makes a funny.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
I think I'm going to use jugglestruck's reaction followed by Tim's comment. Sometimes I say, "Come on now... won't you miss that pretty face?"
Dorianmagic
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Dorianmagic
[quote]On 2005-03-15 22:08, Lee Darrow wrote:
"Hey! This is Chicago - ANYBODY can disappear for only $50! Of course, in MY neighborhood, it's down to $19.95 - and we'll throw in a set of Ginsu Knives!"

Thanks Lee, that's one of the best I've heard
JamieUK
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of JamieUK
Make him a blindfold out of a table napkin, then continue with the show?
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Just say "YES WE CAN..."
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2012-01-13 08:23, JamieUK wrote:
Make him a blindfold out of a table napkin, then continue with the show?

This one is actually pretty funny! It accomplishes what they ask without really offending anyone.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Dave Hill of http://themagicdollarstore.com

Has some silks with a picture and words on of it of husband and wife 6" silk you can vanish.

Not on his website but I saw them at a convention this weekend!! call him up and order up tell him I sent ya!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Leppy
View Profile
Regular user
Eden Prairie, MN
161 Posts

Profile of Leppy
Have a clear cup filled about halfway with nickles, when they ask, drop another one in and say something like, and that's just today...see if they catch the "If I had a nickle" reference and don't say anything else...
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
"Henny Youngman, 1949"
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2006-01-15 16:53, Cory Gallupe wrote:

Here is a come back actually used by a famous magician. (Hes famous, yet I forget his name...) I don't recommend using it, but this is it. He was performing for a late night crowd, people were drinking and getting a little tipsy. Near the end, he was getting fed up from all the hecklers shouting out curse words and making his night a bad one. The man was a little overweight, and a man yelled out. "Why are you soo fat?" To which the magician replied. "Because everytime I F*** you mom she gives me a cookie!" That shut everyone up!

Great Line!!!-Hilarious...
Lefebure
View Profile
Loyal user
Lille, France
202 Posts

Profile of Lefebure
Well, I don't know if it sounds good translated in english but in France, I answer most of the time
" Sorry, I perform magic, not miracles !"
" Well, yes, I can do it, but if you are interested please join the waiting list, I am full until 2015 for that"
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
No! WHat do you think I am, a magician?"
Kit
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Kit
I perform magic, not miracles.
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2012-02-12 16:03, Kit wrote:
I perform magic, not miracles.

Please, stop say that... I think I heard this expression from every french magician in the past....

This is not funny, and nothing special at all...

Say something diferent and subtle, something like...

Including the airbags?
Kit
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Kit
I always get a laugh when I say this to them. In the past 6 years that I have been performing magic I have probably been asked if I can make their wife dissapear 100 times, and everytime I say the above line, I have always get a laugh.

It may be the 100th time you have heard it, but for spectators it's the first time they have seen a magician in person, and it's certainly the first time they have asked the qustion, so to them that answer is funny and different.

To be honest people read far too much into one liners and trying to catch out spectators. Just get a laugh, big or small and move onto the next routine, I have been asked the question far too many times to care enough to focus on giving a different answer each time. The above works for me, it gets a laugh.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » "Can you make my wife disappear??" (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL