The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Finnel Free Cut Principle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of towledge
I know of J.C.'s Super Closer and a Kicker Spelling to Aces trick using Gene Finnel's Free Cut Principle...

but can anyone point out the source for a version of this trick I learned many years ago at a Tannen's shop visit...where the aces are brought to the top. There's 2 faros (with possibly a cull move to correct) involved. Anyone who knows this will recognize the version I'm talking about.

Where did this version originate?

Bill
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Sounds like a combination of the "Finnell Free Cut Principle" with "Vernon's Aces" (from Close-up Card Magic). This has been published both as Martin Nash's "Vernash's Aces" in Ever So Sleightly and Darwin Ortiz's "Combination Aces" in Harry Lorayne's Afterthoughts. These were both published back in 1975.

Check out "Combination Cull" from Darwin's Scams & Fantasies with Cards for an updated handling and also notes on the history of the effect (which I've more or less recapitulated).

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5645 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Gene Finnel's Spelling Aces was marketed at least before 1968. Its one sheet explanation was sold for $1.00.

Later Mr.Finnel wrote several variations in his booklet "Free Cut Principle", and Karl Fulves include further variations in "Card Tricks of Gene Finnel". (I am not sure the title of the books).

I beilieve expanation of the principle is also in Arthur Mactier's Card Concepts.

If four Aces are located at every 13 cards, they will get together with two Faroes.

Hideo Kato
David Deanie
View Profile
New user
Scotland
63 Posts

Profile of David Deanie
I recall something that sounds similar- though it was only one faro and 8 cards on top of the aces- final positions of the aces are 17 19 21 23 if I remember correctly. I cannot for the life of me remember.

-----

ok, had a bit of a thinking session there- an Ed Marlo idea, possibly from miracle aces- I remember having discussion with someone at the magic club about it!

hope you can deduce something from that!

David
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5645 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Bill-san,

Do you see why I refused to answer to your question in PM?

Hideo Kato
David Deanie
View Profile
New user
Scotland
63 Posts

Profile of David Deanie
Ok! this place is great! two replies in the time it took me to write mine!wow! I like the efficiency!

Maybe I was way off the maek there!

David
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4591 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Gene Finnell's Free-Cut Principle is a devastating concept that allows for some amazing card magic. I've developed some of my own routines using it. I recommend you check out Phoenix Four in the Secrets of Brother John Hamman for a great application of this principle. By the way in the Hamman book Finnell is spelled "Finell" whereas in Ortiz's book and Lorayne's Afterthoughts it is spelled with two "n"s.
NEW: Magica III www.barnowskymagic.com
https://www.facebook.com/barnowskymagic
The Book of Destiny http://www.barnowskymagic.com/bookofdestiny.html

Kingdom of the Red Book and DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/kotr1.html

21ST CENTURY COIN MECHANICS and Counting On Deception www.barnowskymagic.com
J3
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
165 Posts

Profile of J3
Actually that does sound like vernons aces, from close up card magic. The deck is split up into 4 piles, the aces openly put into the middle of each, then after some shuffling and 2 faros theyre brought to the top.
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of towledge
Thanks all!

OK I just checked...Harry's Combination Aces (Afterthoughts) and it's predecessor...Vernon Aces (Close-Up Card Magic) both come extremely close to the effect I learned that day at Tannens.

The only difference is that the version I learned did away with having to cut 4 EQUAL size packets. They could be approximately equal. The 2 faro handling is the same as described by Harry...however here, there may have to be an added culling move if the pair of black aces in the center are separated by a few cards...the price to pay for approximating the 4 packets at start of trick.

Bill
J3
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
165 Posts

Profile of J3
Actually in vernons aces, the way theyre placed into the packets assures theyre in the the right position everytime. And the packets don't have to be equal. In the event that they are(12 cards each), you can then let the spectator stack them in any order he wishes while you look away.
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of towledge
True J3...in the version I learned it definitely uses the Free Cut Principle. BTW it also begins with having spec cut off a few cards from one of the packets as well. This cut off small amount is added onto last pile before gathering. So it's not exactly either of Harry's routines. I will check some of the other references mentioned.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Yeah, the benefit of adding the free cut principle is that the spectator gets to position the aces in the deck, unwittingly placing them 12 cards apart. The downside is that the packets have to be exactly the same. Steve Youell has some thoughts making the initial cuts of the packets easier/faster. His thoughts can be found in his "Weapons of Mass Destruction" notes (with are available on Cogitations).

I've done Vernon's Aces for a while and it's really brilliant. As amazing an example of card control as it is (and I think it really is more an example of supreme card control than a "magical effect"), I think it has incredible potential as a secret control of 4 cards if you have patter to justify the placement and shuffling. Ricky Jay used this in an AMAZING trick in his 52 Assistant's show and his patter for covering everything was brilliant. Really one of those "Jeez I wish I'd thought of that" type things.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
533 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
I have been performing "Vernash Ace's" from Martin Nash' book and it really is fantastic. Vernon's aces is also a very nice effect but again, as mentioned, the free-cut principle really throws the whole thing into hugh gear.
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
355 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
An excellent trick that uses the Free Cut Principle is Brother John Hamman's 'Second In Command', an effect published in the manuscript "Seven Deadly Miracles" [1984].
"One arrow. One life."
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of towledge
BTW it was "Sean" the great guy who worked years ago behind Tannen's counter that first showed me the version (with the cull displacement move) I alluded to at top post.

does anyone know Seans username or contact info. He posts I think here on the Café from time to time.

Bill
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5645 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
As many good tricks with Free Cut Principle have been listed so far, I noticed we were forgetting Alex Elmsley's 'Cross 25'.

I think it is a beautiful marriage of Free Cut Principle and Matrix Principle. I was much impressed when I saw it in Mr.Elmsley's lecture.

I would rather say it is the best trick using Free Cut Principle.

Hideo Kato
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6575 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
While I would never DRAM of saying it was the best routine using this principle, I do have a routine that uses it called "Two for Free." I'll be happy to send it along to anyone interested who asks for it by April 15, 2005. Just ask via PM and make sure to give me your email address.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1240 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Scott's routine "Two For Free" is one of my favorites from his book "You'll Be Pleasantly Surprised!" Also included is a explaination of the "free Cut Principle." that totally explains the workings behind the principle.

Jeff Pierce

PS. Scott is good to see you back.
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
bglover
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of bglover
Steve Bryant uses the principle in 'The World's Most Obscene 21-Card Trick' in his book 'The Little Egypt Book of Numbers'.

This effect is based on published work by Ed Marlo and Jim Swain.

Brian Glover.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6575 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2005-03-20 00:44, Jeff wrote:
Scott's routine "Two For Free" is one of my favorites from his book "You'll Be Pleasantly Surprised!" Also included is a explaination of the "free Cut Principle." that totally explains the workings behind the principle.

Jeff Pierce

PS. Scott is good to see you back.
Thanks, Jeff! It's good to be back!

That's one of my favorites, too, as it's very easy, yet fools everyone--even the guys at the sessions. But it's one of the most overlooked items in the book. You're the first who has commented on it! maybe it just doesn't "read" well.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Finnel Free Cut Principle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL