The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Finnel Free Cut Principle (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
guten tag
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of guten tag
Pleese will somebodies tell me what is the freecut principale and how to work it. Thanks, thankyous.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Let's assume number of cards in Packet-a is 20.
You cut 8 cards from the packet-a and put them aside. You place remaining 12 cards on 8 cards. Now the total number of cards becomes original 20.

That is the body of Free Cut Principle.

Hideo Kato
jacob boehme
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jacob boehme
I am not completely sure of the techniques of the free-cut principle but many tricks are to be using. I like Hans' Juensen's Oil & Water using Free Cut, and the Aronson version of Out of this Universe. Essentially, you must remember that when people are cutting the cards, they are often the same. Not always but at least as much as not. So no matter how the cards are "replaced" you will still have x cards. This is more or less it (obviously we cannot reveal all the secret techniques in front of the children:?). If you have many questions, PM somebody...
rogerfsmith
View Profile
Regular user
Roger Smith
129 Posts

Profile of rogerfsmith
Quote:
On 2005-03-17 19:27, David Deanie wrote:
I recall something that sounds similar- though it was only one faro and 8 cards on top of the aces- final positions of the aces are 17 19 21 23 if I remember correctly. I cannot for the life of me remember.
-----
ok, had a bit of a thinking session there- an Ed Marlo idea, possibly from miracle aces- I remember having discussion with someone at the magic club about it!

hope you can deduce something from that!David

That's Marlo's cutting the four ace trick from Faro Controlled Miracles. You usually do a couple of riffles loading 4 cards on top of the aces each shuffle (they started on top). Now you do the Faro which brings them to the numbers you mentioned. Now you simply cut the four aces one at a time. This is a trick that I do all the time.

This trick has nothing to do with the free cut principle, however.

Cheers,
Roger

The map is not the territory

PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
If interested in Gene Finnell's Free-Cut Principle, see http://paulgordon.net/explorations.htm for NEW magic using it!
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
The Paul Gordon booklet is worth checking out. Very nice! A pretty effect that I enjoy using is Peter Duffie's 'Divisory Capacity' from 'Card Compulsions'. It will fool anybody whether they be lay person or magician...
PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Thanks, Bob-Hummer.

Explorations has done (is doing) very well. Folks can see reviews/comments by Matt Field, Harry Lorayne, Aldo Colombini, Howard Flint, Steve Beam et all on above website.

Best, Paul Gordon
Mr.Tweed
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Mr.Tweed
Quote:
On 2007-06-24 03:12, PaulGordon wrote:
Thanks, Bob-Hummer.

Explorations has done (is doing) very well. Folks can see reviews/comments by Matt Field, Harry Lorayne, Aldo Colombini, Howard Flint, Steve Beam et all on above website.

Best, Paul Gordon

Why did you write (are writing) the way Harry Lorayne wrote (is writing)? Harry has used (does use) parentheses in his books all the time (often). Have you noticed that you do (did) write in this (that) manner?

;)
Too lazy to work, too nervous to steal.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Mr. Tweed (real name?) - many (lots) of people copy (imitate) my writing (even speaking) style. I guess (I think) that's flattering (or is it?)Anyway, thanks (again, I think)for your nice (or was it sarcastic) post. ((HL))
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Oh, and if you want a killer routine utilizing Gene's free-cut principle, take a look at Simplified Swain, Plus in BEST OF FRIENDS 3. Don't overlook the good stuff! HL

PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Dear (Mr) Tweed,

Well, that's how I was taught back in the 1960's at an English boarding prep school! And, that's how I've been writing for 40+ years...!! And, as Harry is the best writer in magic, it's better than being influenced by the worst!

But, if you don't like my style - don't buy the books!

Paul Gordon
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
That's telling him, Paul! Regards - HARRY L.

incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
There is a very good routine called Quadruple Prediction by Steve Beam in his lecture notes "Sound Effects" which uses the Free Cut Principle. In the write-up, the Free Cut Principle is not credited to Finnel, but to another person (whose name I cant recollect; need to lookup). My question - Has anybody else developed something similar to / variation of the Free Cut Priniciple? Or are multiple people credited with the Free Cut Principle? Just curious...
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
The first trick using 'Free Cut Principle' is John Hamilton's 'Eyes of the God' released by Max Holden in 1948.

Gene Finnel independently found the principle and named it as 'Freee Cut Principle', and published it in 1967.

You can read the story in Karl Fulves' August 1970 issue of "PALLBEARER'S REVIEW".

Hideo Kato
Mr.Tweed
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Mr.Tweed
Quote:
That's telling him, Paul! Regards - HARRY L.

You can't (won't) imagine what an honor it was (is) to be told off by someone who was (is) the best writer (author, creator, teacher) in magic.

Joe

PS. I'm honestly just funning with you. Close Up Card Magic is one of my all-time favorite books on (about) magic.
Too lazy to work, too nervous to steal.
PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Dear Mr Tweed (Joe),

Funning with Harry, or me? It's me, surely, you were (are) having a dig at.

Paul Gordon

Anyway, The Free Cut Principle (Hamilton/Finnell) has great possibilities. We (Marty Kane, Peter Duffie, Paul Gordon) EXPLORED in Explorations.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
If you sign up for Bob Kohler's newsletter you can receive a free effect using the free cut principle, by Jack Birnman, called The Martian Clock Trick.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On 2005-03-17 19:20, Paul Sherman wrote:

Check out "Combination Cull" from Darwin's Scams & Fantasies with Cards for an updated handling and also notes on the history of the effect (which I've more or less recapitulated).

Paul

This effect is very good - looks like you have the "power".
John Neely
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
280 Posts

Profile of John Neely
Funny, on my way to work this morning I read two effects using this principle called Mystical Countdown and Mystical Countdown Follow-up in February 1995 issue (Book 4) of Apocalypse. They are both really nice effects. In both effects the spectator and the magician pick a card. In the first effect the magician deals the cards face up on the table. He stops when he gets to his card he counts down the number of his card and finds the spectator's card. In the second effect the magician spells his card and finds the spectators card and then he spells the spectators card and arrives at his card.

John
Retchin
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Retchin
When I first saw the Free Cut Principle in action, I was completely fooled!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Finnel Free Cut Principle (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL