The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Looking for a Ventriloquist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I am trying to recall the name of a ventriloquist who appeared on Ed Sullivan in the late forties. I believe he was from the UK. It may have been Arthur something or other. I saw it on a DVD called the Very Best of Ed Sullivan volume 2. In the bit I saw, his dummy is betting him he can't say a phrase with a lot of b's in it without moving his lips. He fails. Then the DUMMY says the phrase without moving his lips and of course the ventriloquist doesn't move his lips either. Then there is a surreal moment where the dummy says "Okay, who's the dummy?" It's hard to explain but it is the best vent bit I ever saw in my life. (I also borrowed the Ed Sullivan videos with Fred Kaps on it.)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Can't help you with the vent bit. But the Fred Kaps piece (or at least one of them if he'd appeared more than once) can be seen on the Ed Sullivan Presents the Beatles two-disc DVD. On the second DVD, Fantasio can be seen doing a very nice standard act. (Standard in that there's no canes or candles.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
David Deanie
View Profile
New user
Scotland
63 Posts

Profile of David Deanie
I like the sound of that! I was thinking it could have been Paul Zerdin- then I realised you said back in the forties! Neither he nor I would have been about back then!

Keep looking!

David
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
You are thinking of Arthur Wolsely - and the statement was 'Bottle of Beer'. His act was basically the dummy only speaking and Arthur saying nothing. True Vaudvillian and a real treat to watch! Vottle of Veer, Vottle of Veer, vottle of vee....
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Your thinking of Russ Louis, real name Louis Russo. He is incredible. He has a video for sale on ebay that you might like. WALL TO WALL LAUGHS, VENTRILOQUIST RUSS' LOUIS
PREMIER VENTRO-COMEDIAN, IN CONCERT 45 MN VHS Item number: 6379145400

Oliver
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Are you sure it wasn't arthur WORSLEY? (I misspelled it in my earlier post). He had a dummy that would say Bottle of Beer - which is what the original post was talking about... Forgive me if I am wrong - but I am pretty sure Worsley is the guy who did the 'bottle of Beer' bit.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Damien666 you are absolutely right and THANK YOU for that name...I've been going nuts trying to remember. Arthur Worsley it was.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
That piece of video from the Ed Sullivan show is on a vent site somewhere (sorry I can't remember the site name).

If you are looking for some good vent footage you should also check out http://www.nolips.com
the material on here is good, but he appears on some comedy allstar kind of video (saw it years ago) where he creates a sock uppuet in front of the audience and slowly beings it to life and then dis assembles it again, it's a fantastic piece.

Cheers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-03-27 05:20, BIlly James wrote:
That piece of video from the Ed Sullivan show is on a vent site somewhere (sorry I can't remember the site name).

If you are looking for some good vent footage you should also check out http://www.nolips.com
the material on here is good, but he appears on some comedy allstar kind of video (saw it years ago) where he creates a sock uppuet in front of the audience and slowly beings it to life and then dis assembles it again, it's a fantastic piece.

Cheers

Maybe we should see if they could do a DVD of all Ed's "variety" bits. The magicians, ventriloquists, the dancing bear or dog acts, etc.

Quote:
On 2005-03-27 05:20, BIlly James wrote:

Cheers

It's Ronn Lucas. I love this guy! His "Billy The Kid" character is wonderful. (I'm a Nerf person!") and I wish the dragon show had worked better.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
Is Worsley the one wher the dummy does most of the talking while he stand there
and says hardly anything ,if not does anyone remmember the name of that vent??
Alson
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Worsley is indeed the vent who says nothing and the puppet says everything while he just stands there looking on.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Looking for a Ventriloquist (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL