The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Rock music? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Hey, guys, since I'm only 16 (for those of you who don't already know)i'm still developing my "stage persona". I've been thinking of how I want to perform onstage, and I thought it might be cool to choreograph some of my routines to some of my favorite rock songs. the only thing I'm worried about is that having words to the song might take away from my performance. what do you guys think?
**--snap--**
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
Well....it sorta depends. For me if I usually don't. But I will use a song with lyrics in it for maybe one or two routines. I'd say it just depends on the message you're trying to convey to the audience. But, when you use songs with lyrics, the audience members are like: "Wow! I love this song!" and start to sing along to it, and pay more attention to the song rather than your performance, vs. having a song with no lyrics, thus having no distractions, so the attention is fully on you. To answer your question, I'd say you could for a few of your routines, but try to find songs with an upbeat style that are like rock songs, but with no lyrics. There are lots of songs out there that have some good sound and beat in them that you might find are closer to a rock song. Some examples might be Rob Dougan's work, such as Clubbed to Death from the Matrix. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me. Good luck!!!!!!

:spoon:
Beyond Impossible: www.freewebs.com/illoosionzmagic

"I close my eyes in order to see"
~Paul Gauguin
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I second going instrumental.
There's lots to choose from - Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Dixie Dregs, some of Rush's stuff; there's an excellent piece on Yes's 90125 album called "Cinema", and there's more advant garde stuff like jazz/rock fusion: Jean Luc Ponty (gotta love him !!), Bill Bruford, etc.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Thanx, guys, but I have another question, there's a talent show coming up at my school soon, with a $100 cash prize to the winner. do you think I should do a song with words for this?
**--snap--**
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
That's a toughie. I'd say it depends on what you're doing. PM if you have more questions.
:spoon:
Beyond Impossible: www.freewebs.com/illoosionzmagic

"I close my eyes in order to see"
~Paul Gauguin
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I have been battling this issue for awhile and after sevaral experiments and watching other performers, I have come to the following conclusion.

It is not beneficial to use a song that everyone already knows. Believe it or not, EVERYONE has memories and that song may or may not bring back good or bad memories. Unless the words in the song directly relate to what you are actually doing physcially, don't do it. I have had some success using Karaoke tracks of known songs. These are instrumentals, and some may recognize the original song, some won't. It's more important to pick a song that enhances the act, not overpowers it or distracts from it. You must carefully analyze your need for the music and carefully choose something that will make it "more" entertaining.
I have some karaoke soundtracks I made myself I use in my tracks because I like the feel or the tones of that song. Stray Cat Strut, Miss Independence, Bye Bye Bye, as well as others. The benefit of being a muzician! They all have their place. I am not an NSync fan but I found the music and cues in Bye Bye Bye perfect for a sequence using D'lites and Jay Scott Barrys Fazers. You can hear it HERE. The song has built in cues for important actions, ones I want the audience to remember. Only the young audience members actually recognize the song.
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Muzicman, thanx for the advice. I don't know if it makes any difference in your oppinion, but all I listen to is christian music, mainly christain rock, so therefore any song I'd be using for it would be christian, and might minimize the amount of people that recognize it. but that may not be the issue, let me know what you think.
**--snap--**
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I also listen to Contemporary Christian Rock. The songs rival any modern rock band. My reasoning for NOT using music with words is mainly because the words (typically) do not match what is happening on stage. It confuses the audience and takes away from the performance. If I watch a performance that uses music, and there are words to the music, I listen closely to the words because I don't want to miss something the performer intended. Imagine the disappointment/confusion when the lyrics and the actions have nothing in common. I have seen magic acts like that and as I result, I have formed my opinion. Rock, Christian, country, rap, country rap, anything with lyrics does not make it into my show unless it "Fits". As an example, my appearance from a remote control truck uses a clip from Sammy Hagar "I can't drive 55". The song is first heard on the background of my cell phone when the announcer calls me to inquire where I am. When the truck drives on the stage, the song continues, but switches from being in the background of my cell call to a much louder, directly over the PA type sound. The song fits, the words match, and the audience is not left to try and figure out why that song was chosen for that scene.

As a bad example...imagine playing a song with a great drum beat and really kewl bass line but the words and lyrics are primarily about a "love letter".....during a linking ring routine?? It's a personal choice, I choose not to, it doesn't work for me, but if it works for you, then use it!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Christian Music in Magic ?

Like Muzicman says...." Does it fit ?" Be wary of a very touchy subject. If it fits the peice then use it but be prepared to be called " preachy" for doing it by some and " blasphemous" by others. Don't let that stop you but be carefull with this hot tomato.

I'm in talks now for a benefit show for disabled children and at a recent board meeting one of the members stood up and announced that he could have no part of me because of his religious beliefs. His said the fact that he is a Christian stops him in participating in my " magic" which is against god. I explained that I am an ILLUSIONIST and I present optical illusions not black magic. I even went into great detail of how many Christian magicians/illusionists there are out there and asked him to look up Andre Kole. He couldn't be moved on the topic and I soon gave up on trying to change his mind. I've learned not to press people on altering their views on anything related to religion. Its a sensitive topic!

Good Luck,

Tim
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I use the song Beat it by Michale Jackson as it has some wonderful automatic cues for my magic.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Snap, for the high school talent show, are you doing magic or playing in a band ?
Go instrumental if the former, go with lyrics/singing if the latter.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
Finding the right music for any routine whether it contains lyrics or not is one issue you will usually just have to feel out for yourself. As stated above does the music and lyrics fit the message you are trying to say/do in the magic? Many of the big name magicians use a lot of pieces with lyrics so don't count them out. We use both pieces with and without lyrics in our shows, but search at lengths often for weeks just on the right piece. An example would be our routine that is an assistants revenge type of illusion, we chose Cyndi Lauper " Girls Just Want TO Have Fun" And boy does it fit that piece. And yet for Shadow theater its an all instumental piece so you see the music has to be an intregal part of the routine and only you the performer will know if its really right, others can give advice but its about you and the feelings you try to get to the audiance.
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Mistician, for the talent show I am doing a short magic show, and, quite frankly, if I was playing in a band, I don't think I'd have much of a chance of winning, I think there's only been one band in the history of this talent show that's won.
now to timothy drake, I knew when I got into magic that I'd have to face some of this descrimination among certain kinds of christians, and I knew when I became a born-again christian myself that I would face the secular world with belittling coments like that. the reason I would want to use christian music is that I am very strong in my faith, and I would like to show it a little in my secular shows. I don't want to start a religious debate, I just want to tell everyone a little of who I am and why I would prefer to use christian music if I use ones with words. but to micheal drake, and everyone else who posted here, thanks so much for your help, and as always, I'm open to new advice.
**--snap--**
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 16:40, snap wrote:

now to timothy drake, I knew when I got into magic that I'd have to face some of this descrimination among certain kinds of christians, and I knew when I became a born-again christian myself that I would face the secular world with belittling coments like that.

Hi Snap,

I'm a little confused by this post. When you say " belittling coments" are you referring to my comments or the comments that were made to me ?

Best,

Tim
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I don't want to answer for snap, but it sounds like he is prepared for the belittling of using something Christian "themed" to entertain with. It's a touchy subject, which is why the Café has rules about politics and religion. Music is an international language, as it can create a mood or a "feel" based on the beat, the tones, and the words. The words are last...I know songs that I have heard for 30 years and I honestly couldn't sing the song all the way through without reading the lyrics. I guess I should know the words by now, but I never learned the song from a singers perspective. I was listening to a Beatles song I know I've heard 1000's of times, but did not know any words except the chorus.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hi Muzicman,

I asked Snap to clarify because I got the impression he was offended somehow. Whene used the term " belittling comment" it seemed directed to me and that's what made me curious. He mentioned having to face "belittling comments like that" when he became a born again christian. I can't find any belittling comments in my post. Maybe he mis-read my post or I mis-read his reply. I'd appreciate a clarification . Maybe if he'd prefer not to go further off topic in this thread so a PM would be most welcome.

Best,

Tim
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Sorry, timothy, maybe I should clarify more when I write, when I said "belittling comments" I meant comments from other christians or catholics who think I'm "dealing with the devil," or whatever, I wasn't referring to you or offended in any way by you, I just wrote it because you wrote that I should be prepared to face this kind of criticism, and I was just telling you that I had considered this aspect of this (actually, it's partly why I want to do it, I like to "dare to be different.") sorry if you misunderstood me.
**--snap--**
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Thanks Snap! Check your PM.

Best,

Tim
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
I got your pm, timothy, and replied, thanx!!
**--snap--**
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I agree with Musicman that it’s wise to stay away from songs that your audience might recognize. I see so many performers using mainstream pop songs in their shows. Here’s the problem with that: if a song is familiar to the audience, it could be detrimental to your show! Let me explain why.

Let’s say you’ve licensed the right to use the theme music from the movie, “The Titanic.” Unless you are reenacting a scene from the movie, that music could work against you.

For example, someone in your audience might start thinking about a romantic night out, when that song happened to be playing. That music might remind them of a significant moment with their loved one. In other words, you’ve lost them! Their thoughts are far away, reminiscing about a magical moment … quite different from the one you are trying to create!

Or, someone else may identify with the song in a negative way. It could have been “their song” before they divorced. Hearing that song again may remind them of a broken heart. Music is a very powerful force!

Another thing to consider is that some people simply may not like that style of music. You can really rub people the wrong way by choosing a pop song! And this will NOT benefit your show. So my advice is: Stay away from mainstream pop music. It’s always going to be safer to use Royalty-Free music.

And speaking of royalty-free music: somehow this thread got onto the topic of Christian Music. Well, my next Make it Magic royalty-free music release will be a Gospel Music CD. All instrumental jazzed-up, rocked-up, and quirked-up versions of popular Hymns, especially created for Christian Presenters. Watch for details on my website at http://www.arthurstead.com.

- Arthur Stead
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Rock music? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL