The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » cold reading nerves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

graydon
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of graydon
When one first starts to give cold readings, what is the best way to handle your nerves?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Start with very casual short bits that may not even seem like a reading. As you get a feel for the impact, you will gain confidence in the material and your abilities with it.

Good Luck,

Tom Cutts

Publisher, AM/PM

About Magic...Performing Magic
btaxin
View Profile
Regular user
san francisco
152 Posts

Profile of btaxin
Ditto to Tom's advice. Start slow, kinda like dipping your toe into the pool before you dive in. It may also help to have a few stock things memorized that you can pull out if you draw a blank, things that apply to nearly everyone. Lee Earle markets a stock routine with loads of stuff on it. Once you feel more confident you can take some chances. You will learn to deal with the "misses". And if you really want to learn how to do cold readings, get a copy of Ian Rowland's fabulous book on the subject. Good luck!

BobTaxin
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
any good books on the subject?
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
As stated, Ian Rowlands book is the business. I agree though, very difficult to get started. I think it needs to be added to something surefire to build confidence first. Don't know what yet though.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Try Kenton's Completely Cold, it has received mixed reviews, but for me I have never received a greater response for the 40 bucks I spent, unless of course I count the night '82... oh, never mind, another time, another conversation on that one.
Matt
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Matt
I'm glad to hear that. I went back and forth with buyer's remorse before even sending my check off for Completely Cold, rereading reviews and rethinking, etc. (I don't have much money to spend on magic.) But yesterday I finally placed my order. I'm looking forward to getting it and trying it out.

Matt
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
I think that Richard Webster's "Quick Readings with Numerology" might be useful to give you a simple reading system which you could use in social and entertainment situations to give you experience and something to fall back on if you should ever dry up.
That's my thoughts. I would be happy for any opinions from more experienced people, in fact anyone in this Forum, directly pro or con too.
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
Fon
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
200 Posts

Profile of Fon
Nod,

Nod,

Nod,

Nod your head whilst talking, It will not only make you more beliveable to the guest, but you yourself will feel more confident,

Fon
Always thinking..........?
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
123 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
I had never thought of this before, but this weekend the guy at the local magic shop said he practiced on online chat rooms when first starting out.

This seems like a really good way to gain confidence. You have time to think between typing. You can even take/use notes to help. Also, physical nerves won't show.

He would usually start by trying to get the subjects location through alternate means and use that as an in.
Fon
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
200 Posts

Profile of Fon
Be careful you dont come across as a perv!!??

Fon
Always thinking..........?
majorshaw
View Profile
New user
Randy Shaw
73 Posts

Profile of majorshaw
Know your subject well, real well, this might help with your nerves.

Randy, AIMC with Silver Star
AKA Major Conn
R.Shaw

AIMC with Silver Star
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » cold reading nerves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL