The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Malini egg bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
Lynette is selling her egg for $10.00 and Eggsactly is selling one for $12.50. Hey I'm as much a perfectionist as the next person. But, personally I think this is a little high. I have performed the Malini Egg Bag with an egg that I myself blew. It took me about ten minutes to do and it was many years before I had to blow another one. The bag is a separate thing and a good one is worth whatever you pay. But the key thing to remember in all of this is the most important thing is the routine. You can have the greatest bag but it you don't have a good routine, forget it. Before I got the Malini Egg Bag, I had another rather ordinary one. But you know what? I still got a great reaction -- because I presented it properly. Just my thoughts!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Boat,

What routine do you recommend? Regartding your routine, did you start out with one of the known routines and then modify it to fit your style and presentation?

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
Ken Brooke put out a routine in manuscript form that I got from Denny and Lee. I have been using that for the last five years. It has comedy, mystery, and direct audience participation with two volunteers. The ending is very strong, and never fails to get a very good reaction. If you are curiose to see the routine watch Denny perform it on thier performance video. Denny adds an ending with a final load that kills. http://www.dennymagic.com
Hope this helps!
Arthur
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Magic Arty,

Is Denny's performance video a "for sale" item or is it a demonstration video on their site? I could not find it. I did find the Ken Brooke Routine (Ken Brooke & Friends on the Malini Egg Bag) for $7.50. I also noticed that they sell six blown eggs as a set in a "protective" case for $12.50!!! ( http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=005267 ) Have you tried out these eggs? Are they coated inside or outside to strengthen the shell? But, regardless, $12.50 for six eggs seems like a pretty good price.

Eschew obfuscation.
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
I don't guess that Lynetta needs another endorsement, but here goes:

I bought the bag about 2 years ago and it's perfect as far as I'm concerned. Quality products always have a "feel" and this bag screams it when you use it.

As to price - J BuzzBee charged $50, I believe, for the bag he sold 30 years ago. It was made by his former wife, Lynn (am I correct in assuming that this is the Lynn Healy mentioned above?). Considering the time span, Lynetta's is a bargain I would say.

Later.....
sam
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
Hi Turk

I use the Ken Brook routine. If you can get it for $7.50, I would grab it. As Ken Brook used to say, "the information in there is priceless." I'm sure there are other good routines out there, but I haven't seen any as good. And I've looked at a lot. Ken Brook knew about entertaining people. ANd I don't know if he really has gotten his due in the magic fraternity.

Of course over time, I have modified the routine somewhat -- (added another climax and changed some of the lines) but the framework is basically the same.

Best,

Al
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Turk,

Denny has a performance video for sale in his shop. It is one of the most entertaining, funniest performances I've ever seen. All classic stuff done by a master showman.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
Turk:
I use the eggsactly egg, and it lasts forever,(unless you drop it on pavement!) and I feel a confidence in using it. I have used blown eggs as well, but I am a bit clumsy at times, and have broken them in storage.
The video is a performance video that is one of my favorites to view, over and over. Denny follows the Ken Brooke routine to the letter. Ussually he keeps a few of the videos in stock, and offers them on his newsletter. If you call him, I am sure he can dig one up for you.
Also on the video, sword basket, razor blade routine, multiplying martini bottles (fantastic).
Good luck, in thge meantime, get the bag from lynetta, and egg, the ken Brooke routine, and have fun!
Arthur
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2005-04-15 15:42, magicinsight wrote:
I watched the DVD performance of the Senor Mardo egg bag routine by Mr. Martin Lewis and while I like most of mr. Lewis's effects, I personally did not care for this routine. Maybe it was too late at night, but I found it difficult to follow.

Best regards,

Michael

I performed that routine in a contest, against tough competition, and won it. I've had excellent luck with it. The routine was very easy for me to follow. The look on the volunteer's face at the end is priceless!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Hey, guys,

Thanks for all the follow-up regarding the egg bag and egg bag routines. The information is very much appreciated.

Alan, is the Senor Mardo routine you are referring to the routine performed by Martin Lewis on the Stevens Magic video tape? I alsways thought that that particular routine was Martin's very own effect and not someone else's.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have not seen Martin's handling for a long time, but Mardo's routine is in a book, titled, "Routined Magic" by Senor Mardo.

Mardo taught it to me and I used it for a long time, until Ken Brooke taught me the Malini egg bag.

Both are excellent... it is up to you to make it great.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Boat:

When you start discussing the price of prepared eggs, you must take into account what it costs to make them. First, you need to find the proper egg. Most supermarkets no longer carry the size that was favored by Malini, Tomsoni, Charlie Miller and Harry Riser. Next, you need to purchase a dozen of them. That's the way they generally come.

Then you have to clean them out, using whatever method you prefer. The Malini/Miller Egg Bag from Magic, Inc. came with what was probably the same device that Ken Brooke furnished. Nevertheless, there is no way to do this part without making a mess.

Then you need to rinse it out and let it drain. Once the egg has drained, you need to spackle over the damaged area and allow that to dry. Then you need to do whatever finishing work you deem necessary. For me that means following the steps I have learned from several "workers." You probably have the same information I do about that.

In the final analysis you will have at least 30 minutes work in each egg. That doesn't count the time involved in applying any inner or outer coat. Then you have to package them, and write up some kind of instruction sheet with warnings such as "Don't step on the egg, it will break," and the care and feeding instructions as well.

Lynetta makes these eggs to the specs of some of the most respected Egg Bag workers in the business. I would certainly charge at least $10.00 for an egg that is made the way Lynetta does it.

None of Lynetta's products are cheap. They shouldn't be. They are for people whose income depends on having perfect props that work correctly every time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
Thanks for pointing out the errors of my ways, Bill. You are absolutely right. To make these, Lynetta and others have to put in a lot of work. And consequently, they pretty well have to charge that much. It is a time consuming, sometimes frustrating and detailed job. And for people who want those eggs, it's great that they're available. However, I have to admit, I was always happy just to simply blow the eggs myself (using that device).

Best,

Al
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2005-04-17 19:32, Turk wrote:
Hey, guys,

Thanks for all the follow-up regarding the egg bag and egg bag routines. The information is very much appreciated.

Alan, is the Senor Mardo routine you are referring to the routine performed by Martin Lewis on the Stevens Magic video tape? I alsways thought that that particular routine was Martin's very own effect and not someone else's.

Mike

I thought that was the routine you referred to. Yes, I perform the routine from the Stevens tape. I tweaked it a little, because I use a Tong/Tarbell bag for the routine, but it works great!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-04-14 13:26, RS1963 wrote:
Pete I have one of the Malini egg bags Ken Brooke put out I was curious who made those for him? I know Danny Tong was or is making Malini bags is the one Ken supplied a tong made bag?

I tried to order the Malini Egg Bag directly from Ken Brooke 'Oh so many years ago', but he refered me to Magic Inc. in Chicago, and sold me the his instructions only. From this, and his advertising, I would say, that Ken Brooke was selling the Magic Inc. Malini Egg Bags with Charlie Miller instructions and his of course. Also included is a hollow egg and the ear pump.

I have some egg-actly eggs for the silk to egg. These are plaster type of material, very thick walled and no sign of a real egg being used in the manufacture. I could be wrong, if it is fully enclosed with plaster material. They are very heavy and would not work with the Malini Egg Bag. The rough outer egg surface creates to much drag to glide as it must in the routine.

Maybe they have changed their process recently, but this is my experience with these products.
DennyVegas
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of DennyVegas
Hi guys.

We here at the Vegas Denny and Lee Magic Studio recommend getting the Tong egg bag ($30) FIRST. Learn the routine (we also have the Ken Brooke manuscript). Then after you master the moves, if you still love the routine (which you will) upgrade to the Legacy bag. Some say the Tong bag is slightly easier to learn some of the moves.

http://dennymagic.com

or call the vegas shop @ (702) 740-3500 or Baltimore @ (410) 686-3914
jimroady
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jimroady
Just got the Legacy egg bag and pefect egg. This thing is a sheer joy to work with. The look and feel of the bag make the gimick totaly invisible. Well worth every penny!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I want to learn this trick after watching Jim Cellini's dvd. I read almost all postings on this subject here at The Café. I think I'm going to go with Lynetta's Malini Egg Bag and The Perfect Eggs. My question is that Lynetta offers The Perfect Eggs either with hole showing or with hole sealed. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of the hole sealed and hole showing eggs?

I figured one of the advantages of having the eggs with hole showing would be to loop the egg and do a Chinese Egg Bag routine. But with the Malini's EB, I think it makes sense to have the hole sealed with the eggs.

Since I don't know how it's done, I ordered Egg Bag from The Greater Magic Library dvd. Well, I have until tomorrow to order from Lynetta in order to get the 10% discount. Anyone now is greatly apprieciated.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
The only reason that I offer both is that some people prefer to show the hole and explain that it is a real egg with the insides removed. The majority prefer to just let the audience assume it is a regular egg and not point out that the egg has been altered in any way. It's just a personal preference.

Lynetta
lynetta@FabricManipulation.com
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Lynetta, sounds good. Thanks for your reply. I think I'll go with the majority! Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Malini egg bag (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL