The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Beach magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
slangers
View Profile
New user
Denmark
86 Posts

Profile of slangers
Hello

The summer is coming, and for me that means beach time.
So here is the scenario:
You are on the beach and want to do some magic for 3 of your friends.
You can have very small and simple gimmicks on you, but use of things that are actually on the beach is better. Things like seashells, sand, water, small stones and so on...
What would YOU do?

Slangers
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Slangers,

Here's an idea for you that I've performed a few times impromptu on the beach.

The first time was special. I was on a yoga weekend, which included a little walking and talking too. Kind of a mini-retreat. Anyway, on the Saturday evening, we found a quiet spot on the beach, lit a fire, and watched the stars. Lying back on warm sand, with the long sea ever murmuring close by, with bodies still loose from the yoga, I would have been remiss not to take advantage. So...

I explained that in folk magic, if you cast a dream, a hope, a wish, on the waves, the sea will carry it to exactly where it needs to go. I then drew two large, slightly overlapping circles on the sand (like George Anderson's c.t. thing) and explained that these represented the range of two engergy fields. I would stand in one, and I invited someone to stand in the other. And by combining our energies so, the wish would be doubled.

A woman stood up and joined me, and she wrote down her wish (using Anderson's smaller diagram), and I threw the pieces in the sea, and we watched them float away. But, ah, wait a minute, SHE should have done that, so we repeated the process, and, kissing the paper, she threw the pieces into the water. I encouraged everybody to send their love and best wishes with her pieces so that this wish might come true, and we all stood there sighing, with the water lapping at our feet.

Then I reminded her that we stood in two circles that represented our energy fields. I pointed out there was a common area, where the circles overlapped. I invited her to stand in this area with me, and we touched heads, and I put my hands on her shoulders. I'm not normally so forward, but it was consistent with the mood of the whole weekend, and it made for an engaging spectacle. We then whirled around slowly by the sea, almost dancing, kind of like Bono and a fan(!) Then we stopped, and, brushing back her hair, I whispered her wish, which was private, into her ear. She nodded and smiled. No applause, but a great effect.

Now the other people there expressed a desire to have their wishes float to the soft heart of the sea, so not wishing to do c.t. all evening, I rooted round for a bottle. And then, by the light of the fire, we each wrote a wish, and dropped it into the bottle. And with some gentle words, I hurled it out into the sea. And we watched after it, till it grew dark and cold. Absolutely no method, but it's one of the most magical things I've done. And it was all due to the circumstances, and the location.

One or two other things I've performed, too. There's lots you can do, and it's a great setting for magic.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I put this on another forum, but it is valid here:

Any equivoque sequence can be used impromptu with any group of objects around you.
For instance, you are at a beach and only wearing your bathing suit... nothing else. A group asks you to do one of your marvelous feats of the mind. Okay, what do you do?

Here's an idea: Have part of the group stand in a line and look in the same direction as you do something in the sand behind them. Now you walk in front of them and draw three, four, or five shapes in the sand. Have one person decide on one design using equivoque... the cool thing here is you get to wipe away the unchosen stuff. So they end up choosing one design in the sand that is still there. Have them turn around and the same design is drawn behind them.
That's pretty impromptu.

Greg

P.S. Of course, you could get lucky and be carrying your Mental Epic Tanning Screen Smile
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Nice one Greg!
slangers
View Profile
New user
Denmark
86 Posts

Profile of slangers
Great idea Smile
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Greg,

Lovely idea. The erasing would also be a reasonable reason for doing PATEO, here, so that the final remaining drawing matched something in your pockets, say, or under an empty sand bucket, a la Jason Christopher's 'Corner Pocket' from 'Syzygy'.
-- QCiC --
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
Card to Sand Castle.

-MM
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
For something a little more hi-tech, but effective, try this:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=82

Have fun!

Jack Shalom
slangers
View Profile
New user
Denmark
86 Posts

Profile of slangers
Actually, landmark, I got an ipod mini, and an itrip, which allows me to do the same thing as you are writing. I have been thinking about doing the same radio revelation.
fr3ky magick
View Profile
New user
East Sussex, ENGLAND
55 Posts

Profile of fr3ky magick
Loving this subject, I am off to Australia for 2 weeks and 3 days in June. I will try these out on the beach.
Er, ideas...lol- what about shells and stones (cups and balls), coin through bottle, some prediction tricks, the one where you pour a drink and the cup floats in the air, coin bite, coin tricks...
Always look on the bright side of life, Set goals and acheive them, never let anyone put you down you are unique in your own way.
Peace to the world.May MAGIC never die.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Find little hermit crabs and glue them into small skulls. Cover the skulls with a black silk. Do your best MUMBO JUMBO and after a few minutes remove the silk. The skull will have magically moved!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
If I recall, there's a Vernon routine, Sand Aces, described in the book "Brainstorm in The Bahamas".

Daniel Cross once marketed a floating seahorse.

If you have swim shorts with pockets you could maybe do "Two In The Hand, One in the Pocket" with sea shells.

Paul.
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Surprised that the Three Shell game has not come up. I actually live and work in Naples and use three sea shells from time to time for the effect. A TT can be used for vanishing sands. Add in some sea water and you have a cool effect. Coin work can be done with small shells. If you are on a beach that allows fires you can do an ashes effect with some ash from a burned piece of drift wood.

Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
If you can find 5 somewhat matching seashells.. you could do a KILLER matrix.. especially if your hands are slightly sticky with soda!!!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
SPRING BREAK IN DAYTONA BEACH....We need more ideas!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Spellbinder's Wizards' Journal #5 has some Swim Suit Dove Productions in it, but if you're going on Spring Break, I just know you'll want to participate in a "Girls Gone Wild" video shoot with his Parachute Game Illusion done surrounded on the beach!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I now own two hermit crabs ... yet I no longer live in Daytona Beach ... love these old threads!!!
ddamen
View Profile
Regular user
Bay Area
140 Posts

Profile of ddamen
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2005, MagicMarker wrote:
Card to Sand Castle.

-MM

LOL too funny
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Why is that funny? That is a feasible effect.
Reality is a real killjoy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Beach magic (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL