The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Magnetic 3 shell game (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1661 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Here is a site for the magnetic 3 shell game. It says when the shell is pulled back the pea will be picked up and when the shell is pushed forward the pea is released. I am wondering if anyone has this they can elaborate on. And if it is really dependable and works 100 percent of the time. Or is it better to get the effect where it uses slight of hands? Thanks for you input. http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore/street_magic.htm
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Well, througout most of the effect, you will use slight of hand (kinda like a chop cup used in a cups and balls routine), which isn't too hard to learn so you my as well, but: As far as I know, these shells are excellent.

Throughout the routine, you are pulling back, and pushing the shells forward, this is how the main loads and steals of the pea is executed. So, when you pull the shell back a little, the pea sticks to the shell because of the magnet. When you push the shell forward, the pea will dislodge. The shells can be examined and with a switch of the pea, the peas can be too. Just because the shells are gaffed does not mean that the slight of hand option is eliminated.

Talk to Whit Haydn, he literally designed the shells, he will post soon I am guessing.

I can honestly say, every set of SFS shells are good. I have the normal Street Shells, and they are a joy to use. I'd get the magnetic ones a little later...
but that is just me.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1661 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Magicmaven, thanks for the input. I am thinking of purchasing the magnetic shells but it's hard for me to imagine the pea coming off the magnet simply by pushing the shell forward. Normally (my way of thinking) when an object sticks to a magnet, it doesn't come loose unless you would pull it off with your hand or tap it against something to jar it loose like the chop cup effect. That's why it's hard for me to comprehend how pushing it forward would release it. As long as it works 100 percent of the time, then I'm ok with it.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I know that many people perform with these, so I am assuming that it is 100%. Whit Haydn doesn't put out crappy products, all of them are EXCELLENT.
I think the pea gets dislodged using friction of the pea against the table top. I may be incorrect, check with Whit.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4762 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Tbaer,
I have no doubt that it works exactly as Whit and Chef Anton claim. I can't go into any level of detail here, but yes they do work pretty much as magicmaven said.

I wouldn't rely on the magnet alone, I'd learn all I can with the standard stuff. The way I see it is the magnet is there as a "fooler" for those who think they know how it works.

If you can afford the magnetic set, go for it. But buy a standard set of their non-magnetic Perfect Peas as well. Also, go for Whit's new DVD on the Shell Game. It's the first in a series, I understand one of the later installments will go in depth on the use of the magnetic set.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
4260 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have these Magnetic Street Shells from S4S and they work likes a sweet dream: the pea is very easy to bring in or out from the shell.

See a movie with the Magnetic Street Shells here:
http://www.mastermagic.info (click on videos)
The video is my first experiment with these special shells and not a real live performance. I have fooled expert magicians with these shells Smile

don't over use the advantage of the magnetic shells: if you win every time its not so funny for the spectators...

I give the Magnetic Shells 10 out of 10. The peas are also done by cutting edge material.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1661 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Thanks all.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Maidenhead, England
745 Posts

Profile of Riley
I have the S4S mag. shells and you can't go wrong with them. But, as Kjellstrom said above, don't over use the principle. They are indetectable in use. You will enjoy these shells.

Riley
astrologer
View Profile
New user
Cambridge
1 Post

Profile of astrologer
All of the shells work fine, I have purchased all of them, I am a bit of a shell addict. They all needed altering though, I found that none of them have enough of a camber on the base, so these are always adjusted with a sheet of emery. the la maggiore set was the closest to perfection, but even that was extensively modified, I added magnets and car body filler to al least one set of each, but I prefer a set made from some Liquid soap bottle caps, they are a little taller and have "grippy" sides, these also were modified and filler and magnets added, a Dremel was used to machine the inside to the shape I require for easy entry, exit and magnetic pea dislodging. The Perfect Pea from S4S is very good but expensive. If you know somebody working in a food processing factory, you may be able to scrounge a piece of magnetic rubber, some food quality O-ring is just right in consistency for use. For non-magnetic peas, I use paint roller foam, or a good quality natural bath sponge to shape the peas from, these actually perform far better than the "Perfect Pea", and if you are bothered by sleight, or sleightly bothered, you can use a flesh colour to make it easier to hide.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4762 Posts

Profile of Dave V
This thread is over seven years old, but the products mentioned are still in production so I thought I'd add one more option to the mix.

http://www.3shells.com has a new shell design (several, in fact) but the reason I mention them is that he also has magnetic peas. These don't involve inserting a magnet, the rubber itself is magnetic. They are softer than the Perfect Pea, and is a nice alternative if you need such a thing.

The best use I see for a magnetic pea isn't to go with a magnetic shell, but with a holdout to help ring an extra pea in and out of the game.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Regular user
California, USA
183 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
I personally don't like having any magnets that stay on the table. The handling of the shells and the pea are not that hard to do. Why bring in more clues that are always there. This is why I designed a pea with metal in the pea to work with a magnet and only used to do special things and then taken out of play.

I only use a magnet when it is something that is too hard to do by the hand. Like stealing a pea by just placing the shell over the pea without any finger movement or placing the pea and shell in a seal contain without any finger movement. This type of thing can't be normally done by hand. I will be putting up a new magnetic device on my website called the “Kiss Snatcher” soon and will be adding it to the new handling accessory videos.

The magnetic device is a very strong magnet - N52 Grade. It is shaped like a candy kiss, but smaller and can pick up metal items a good distance away. It can be clipped in all areas of the hand very nicely, is rubber coated for easy finger clipping. The shape and small size of it gives you the feature so you can show both side of your hand empty if you like.

It works great with the metal blend sweet peas without leaving any clues on the table or hand.
Even this should not be overdone. But like I said, this is just my feelings on magnets is the game.
I am a believer, if you do something that looks impossible; you better not leave a trail.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4762 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Al is absolutely right.

Another suggestion is if you're working with your own surface is to embed a N40 or above magnet in the bottom back edge of your table where a pea can rest comfortably out of sight until you need it.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Regular user
California, USA
183 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
The suggestion Dave gave works very good. If you only have metal on the work surface to work with a magnet. They will never have any thing to detect what you just did. People don't carry magnets with them. Most people do carry a set of metal keys in their pocket to detect a magnet in the works. What is nice about what Dave mentioned is at some point if you get in trouble and need to get rid of the pea quick, you can just let it drop out of your hand to the ground in turning hand to show it is empty as you can always get another one.

I also like to work with a magnet in the back pocket. If it is a strong magnet all you need to do is be a little close to it and the metal sweet pea will run to it. When you want to get it back, you just pick one back off. I think the magnet is a great tool, if it is used metal too magnet, not magnet to magnet and not over used. The only item I have used with a magnet that is always present, is the chop cup and that can also be done with a magnet that is taken in and out. Even with my chop cup I use a large metal blend sweet pea as you can control the ball much better in the hand and cup.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Magnetic 3 shell game (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.096520 seconds, requiring 42 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [4] [5] [9] [8] [9] [8]