The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Greater Magic vs Greater Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Just out of curiosity, If the 1st edition of Greater Magic, and the 1994 Kaufman & Greenberg reprint of Greater Magic (now OOP), would be sold on the open market (NOT on eBay), what would the differance in prize be, anyone?

btw, Im a happy owner of the 1994 reprint, which I quickly bought as soon I heard it was comming out. This bible of magic, is one of my 3 favourite magic books of all time.
Nope, Im note gonna tell which ones the two others are Smile

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
1945 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I'm with you on this being a great book, one of my favorites too. I also purchased it as soon as I could when it came out.
I thought the original Greater Magic was several volumes?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
As far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong, GM has always been only just one book, but beeing changed and improved up on.

Peo
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, DC
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
If I'm not mistaken, Greater Magic was reprinted as the "Greater Magic Library", which was split into multiple volumes. Someone advised me once AGAINST purchasing the multiple volume version, but for the life of me I can't remember why. I do remember that it was a substantive reason beyond "they'll take up extra space."

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2362 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Curiously, when I searched several of my sources for old books, the Kaufman and Greenberg reprint was ~$500 more expensive than a genuine first edition of Greater Magic.

Maybe there were fewer Kaufman and Greenberg copies printed than original copies!? I don't really understand the reasoning behind this.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."
-Pop Haydn
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1246 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I believe that the Kaufman reprint has about 250 pages of extra material from John Northern Hilliard's private notes and other sources. To my mind that still doesn't account for the price difference. I have an older edition of Greater Magic, but not a lst editon . It's a great book.

I would definitely buy the Kaufman version if I came across one at a price I could afford. I've been told it's too expensive to reprint it again (not enough market demand apparently) but if that's the case then I hope they will consider putting it out as CD-Rom . I'm generally not a fan of CD-roms or ebooks over "real" books , but if it's unavailable in any other way I'd rather have the CD-rom than nothing.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Magic books by post have new copies of the reprint...
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2362 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
If you don't have it already, GET IT NOW! I guarantee that you won't regret it.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."
-Pop Haydn
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
FINALLY A DADDY!
6496 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I had the great blessing of getting the Kaufman repront as a door prize at an FCM convention in Everett, Washington in the mid '90's. It is a wonderful tome, and one of my most-treasured volumes.

Peo, the difference in price would be wholly subjective, based simply on supply and demand, as well as the seller's willingness or lack thereof to part with it. Regardless, the material inside is well worth virtually any asking price. I've often said that, if you could only have ONE magic book, this would be a good choice.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn (Finally a daddy!) @ScottFGuinn
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2005-04-26 20:24, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
...I've often said that, if you could only have ONE magic book, this would be a good choice.

Scott my friend, I could not agree with you more there. You took the very words out of my mouth.The perfect magic litterature on a deserted island.

Peo
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
266 Posts

Profile of MerlH
I have the five hard bound volume set. It is much easier to use than the big book. I paid $3.50 for each book in the early 60s. Still one of the best books out.
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4261 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I also love this book.
There is a great trick in there called "The tuned deck"
Check it out.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
403 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
As an interesting side note a friend of mine recently sold an expurgated copy of greater magic for around $1000. When he told me about it I had to laugh. Carl Jones, the publisher, had 50 copies made for his non magic friends with all the magic secrets removed. It had the introduction and history of magic from the beginning of the book but, after that, every page was blank.

I'm not sure what a first edition is worth right now but it's hard to believe anyone would pay $1000 for a copy without the magic.

Dave
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
Manteca, California
1895 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have an original as well as the Kaufmann reprint.The 1st I paid $125.00 for in the late 70's but the price has never seemed to increase over the years. I do not believe it would sell for $1,000.00, if so mine is for sale.However I do agree Greater Magic is in my top 10 list of favorite books.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
8 years, yet only
144 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
Quote:
On 2005-04-25 22:56, Peo Olsson wrote:
This bible of magic, is one of my 3 favourite magic books of all time.
Nope, Im note gonna tell which ones the two others are Smile

Peo

Peo, I had to wait five years to find out your two others ;-)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=110&30
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
327 Posts

Profile of pduffie
The original Hilliard Greater Magic went through several printings. I have a vague recollection that the 3rd edition is more valuable than the 1st due to numbers printed. Can any book collectors confirm this? Or am I suffering from False memory Syndrome? Smile

The card sections were reprinted later as a separate book called "Hilliard's Card Magic"

When Richard Kaufman reprinted the book, complete with additional chapters, he also had 50 expurgated copies printed (see David Nelson's post above for an explanation of what this is). I have never seen an original expurgated edition, but I have one of the Kaufman ones. As most of the book is blank, any high price paid for one would surely only be by a serious collector.

Peter
Alternative Magic: www.peterduffie.com
MrBob102
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
105 Posts

Profile of MrBob102
Just my two cents:

Greater Magic
First ed. published in 1938 under title: Greater Magic.

Greater Magic Library
5 volume set published in 1956 by A.S. Barnes, New York. Sold for $3.00 per volume.

Copyright 1938, 1942, 1945, 1947, 1956 (my guess this is also the years of publication)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Greater Magic vs Greater Magic (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.129814 seconds, requiring 66 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [5] [6] [5] [6] [7] [5] [9]