The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hello (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ipaq1234
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ipaq1234
Hi,

The names Mike and I have been playing around with magic since I was a kid. Anyways...I have got into card magic in a big way and have spent lots of time and money on all sorts of stuff. However I still feel old fashioned advice from experianced card magicians is best.

Anyone have any tips.
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Hm...I don't consider myself that experienced with card magic, but I'm not sure what you mean by experienced. I may have only been doing it for 2-3 months, but I've been obsessive about it...I walk around doing card flourishes and sleights all day long..never leave my dorm room without a deck of cards, not even to go to the bathroom..you never know when youre gonna get a chance to do a trick for someone.
The Presitidigitationist
ipaq1234
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ipaq1234
Your experienced as far as Iam concerned....I know your right in practicing all the time....I too am at Uni, but I have not had the bottle to try any tricks on friends at the moment. Still having trouble with the DL.

I have Vernons Inner Secrets of Card Magic and I have a whole load of other books, but I think videos and someone showing me where I go wrong must be the best way of learning.
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Quote:
On 2005-04-26 22:09, ipaq1234 wrote:
I have Vernons Inner Secrets of Card Magic and I have a whole load of other books, but I think videos and someone showing me where I go wrong must be the best way of learning.

Well, the "books vs videos" debate has been hashed out numerous times here Smile

Basically, for the money you will most likely learn more from books, but you might learn certain techniques clearer from videos.

The problem with video learning lies with the fact that everyone is built a little different. Differences in hand size requires differences in handling. What works great for a person on a video may not work so great for you. Additionally, some people have a tendency to mimic the video teacher and not find his/her own unique handling.
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
For beginnersI like to recommend videos. I doubt you have a whole load of books if you could only see what a whole load of books looks like in a magicians library.Anyways for books for you I would recomend Harry Lorayne anywhere anytime book you can get it at the library its a nice starter book as for videos Go for the Daryl encyclopedia of card slieghts.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I recommend getting a good magic teacher there are many on this site .

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
With videos it's a lot easier to show handling and learn from that, and then come up with your own handling later on..IMO, the two need to go together..that will provide the best learning experience.
The Presitidigitationist
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Just go out and start doing what you already know, and don't worry about having problems with the DL, do other stuff that doesn't need DL first and DL, will come by it self after doing it time and time gain. This way will teach you better with Videos and Books and even teacher.

Zac
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'd get Oz Pealman's Born To Perform Card Magic first and then move on to Daryl's EOCS and Jay Sankey's RCM. I recently watched CardShark by Jeff and he has some really awesome sleights/passes that you can use to wow your audiences... Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Pablo Leal
View Profile
Regular user
Chile
187 Posts

Profile of Pablo Leal
Hi mike,

If you like books I think you might reach out for Roberto Giobbi's Card College collection. You'll find very good material in it that will help you in a theorical and technical way. I don't think that you should start with "Inner Secrets", it isn't that basic. It's also a great book, however.

Cheers
Pablo Leal
"The one that seeks for the truth takes the chance to find it". Isabel Allende

www.magopabloleal.com
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Michael Ammar's DVD "Amazing Secrets of Card Magic" is an excellent resource to start with.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
ipaq1234
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ipaq1234
Thanks guys for the advice......I will try and spread it 50/50, one thing I don't want to do is copy any particular magician....However I have just ordered Daryl's EOCS because I am interested in making up an ambitious card routine. As with the DL, I'll just keep praticing...
Nando
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
74 Posts

Profile of Nando
Mike,
I have two piece of advice. First, get "Royal Road to Card Magic" and work it from start to finish. This will give you a working understanding of the basic card sleights. Second, find out if there is an I.B.M. (Interbational Brotherhood of Magicians) and/or S.A.M. (Society of American Magicians) chapter near you and join. Otherwise, post a notice on campus or in campus newspaper and get together with others in your school who are interested in magic. Nothing compare to one on one learning. Just my 2 cents.
Nando
The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity.
-Robert Anthony
ipaq1234
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ipaq1234
Thanks for the advice Nando, but Iam from the UK. However I will post something on our college forum and see what happens.
seandixie
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of seandixie
Hi ipaq,
Books and vids are both good in the ways that are explained above. I've been at this now for about a couple of years and can tell you that I've only happy been with my DL for about a week or so now! Check out card college. The thing that has helped me most is to understand the learning process. I teach a martial art and part of the teaching is to break this process down.

SHU- To keep, literally to follow exactly how you are taught, if your using more than one source for your DL don't. Find the simplest one(get ready?)and just go for that and that alone.

HA - To break, once you have mastered this technique, and I'd genuenly say it took me almost a year of just using the one DL, then you can go and find the other variations. A DL is a DL-same technique, different approaches, but the basics you have mastered will stand you in good stead for the more advanced techniques.

RI - To move away from, to create an entirelly new technique for the purpose. While a few here have undoubtedly reached those heights you and I should stick to SHU and HA for about twenty or so years at least!

These three fazes of learning can be applied to learning anything from the alphabet to magic. Good luck and happy learning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hello (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL