The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » greatest dove work of all time.. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
Lance Burton- the gas light routine...
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I can't agree with you on that one... it's gotta be Jason Byrne's act... I love it with a passion... oh can't forget Dimmare!!
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
Hey Ben. you seem to know your stuff!
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but have you SEEN Burton's FISM Grand Prix winning routine?

The music (Spring from The Four Seasons by Vivaldi), the candles, the canes, the gloves, the french cuffs, the silks, the doves... Oh man it's perfect.
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Yes... I've seen it.... and to tell you the truth.... I didn't like it that much... there are some way better dove workers.... Amos Levkovitch, George Saterial and Greg Frewin.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
All of the names listed are indeed great dove workers but the title of this forum suggests the "greatest of all time". You guys are forgetting names like Channing Polluck and General Grant. Maybe they're a little before your time but their acts are flawless as well. Of course there's always myself. Smile Just kidding. I'd never include myself in a list of names like this. Who knows, maybe someday we'll see names like Ben Schwartz and Rodney Massey among the list of greats.

Dave
Where the magic begins
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
Hi Dave! Thanks for your reply.

Rest assured I did not exclude Channing Pollock from my all-time finalists. He was incredible and I have seen his act countless times. However, Burton's act is one of the greatest magic acts in history. Close-up, stage, whatever. The way he tosses his cigarette to the floor. The very way his fingers stiffen when removing his scarf from his neck-the way his eyebrow tilts when taking off his gloves-his stance-everything-every single breath and blink of that short championship routine is absolutely rehearsed to perfection. I won't even mention the timing, the style, the mystique...

I respect both of your opinions.

Channing was Burton's Idol.

Greg Frewin's steals may be perfecly invisible, but his magic act doesn't hold a candle to Lance Burton's.
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Oh my gosh... I completely forgot about Channing.... uhhh... now I feel like an idiot. He is by far one of my favs.
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
My favorite "Bird Act" has always been "Dirk Arthur". Jay Scott Berry had a cool dove act years ago when he played a futuristic character.

Let us not forget Paula Paul!
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
WindsorWizard
View Profile
New user
CANADA - Windsor, Ontario
44 Posts

Profile of WindsorWizard
Quote:
On 2002-10-08 03:12, BenSchwartz wrote:
I can't agree with you on that one... it's gotta be Jason Byrne's act... I love it with a passion... oh can't forget Dimmare!!

Ben, it pleases me to no end that you are so passionate about Jason Byrne's act.

I was fortunate to be Jason's first magic mentor here in Windsor Ontario and it is a thrill to see how far this young man has gone in the magic world. He was without doubt one of my best students and one day I was shocked upon stumbling upon his website at http://www.jasonbyrne.com (I had no idea he had one at the time) to find thoughtful recognition of all his mentors, including this 'Ould' wizard and his photo no less!

We are very pleased that he makes time to keep in touch by email, phone calls and once in awhile, a surprise visit.

He is currently appearing with his lady in Vegas.
EVERYTHING is possible...
If you simply, just BELIEVE!
~ ~ ~ Johnny Ould ~ ~ ~
VISIT US: Windsor Magic Place & Cases For Magic=A Free Report!
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
Mine would probably have to be Channing Pollock, Lance Burton, Jason Burne, Dimmare, Greg Frewin, and can't forget Shimada.
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I vote for Shimada. Then Lance Burton.
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
His name is spelled Jason Byrne... sorry he is a good friend of mine so I kinda gotta stick up for him Smile lol
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I'm a big fan of all the above, but I will probably go with Pollock. He invented so many of the moves we use today. Also, his steals are smooth, that I watch him over and over just to admire the move. Lance does much of the same stuff, but even he isn't quite as smooth. If you've never seen him perform before, find a tape ANYWHERE.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
circus_freak17
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of circus_freak17
I agree that all of the above performers are great. I really like Jason Byrnes act but even more than him I like Johnathan David Bass. I think Johnny Thompson is good also.
Charles Watson
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Well, I'll toss a few pennies in the fountain, as well as, add two new names to the list.

1) Hamners

2) Byrne (saw it live and it was much cooler than on TV)

3) Pollock

4) Shimada

5) Tamaka
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
All of the choices mentioned are excellent. But, unless I'm wrong, no one has mentioned Sylvan, Chen Kai, Cantu, Tony Torino, Ron Urban, or Robert Downey. These guys all deserve to be in the "top ten."
My all time favorite has to be Channing, with Lance and Bob Downey very close on his heels. Jay Marshall is also a big Bob Downey fan. (Guess I should say was, since Downey is no longer with us.)
Dennis Loomis
http://www.dennisloomis.com/dai.html
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
magic mike
View Profile
New user
Michael M.
88 Posts

Profile of magic mike
Along with Channing Pollock and General Grant I would also include Joseph Gabriel, the great Mexican magician, as among my favorite dove workers. However, since I've been out of magic for some time, I can't really comment on some of the new young performers around today but, I hear that Steve Santorelis (sic) is quite exceptional.

By the way, can anyone tell me where I can get video performances of any of the great dove workers mentioned on this forum?
I would really like to see some old performances of Channing Pollock doing his dove act again on video. Smile
Channing Pollack is my idea of the perfect magician. For those of you that have not seen him perform, I recommend trying to get hold of a video of an old movie called "European Nights" made about 1959.
I was able to buy this video from Stevens Magic
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Pollock and Shimada!

Great elegant magic unlike anything I've ever seen. Two greats who will always inspire manipulators/dove workers.
Shimada always remains my favorite.

He mentions in his video that Pollock further impacted his love for the art in the movie European Nights - which Shimada had to pay to view over and over at the cinema - pre home vcr/dvd days. Hehehehe.

Love them both.

Randy Stewart
Geoff Ray
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Geoff Ray
I am also a big fan of Lance Burton's dove act, with Channing Pollock a close second. Lance Burton so beautifully entwines candles amongst the doves, creating a brilliantly perfect magical atmosphere and routine.
Geoff Ray Smile
Ben Simon
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Ben Simon
I like Jason Byrne's act very well.
Greg Frewin's performance also looks very good.
So does Burton's.

Unfortunately I have neither seen Shimada nor Pollock performing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » greatest dove work of all time.. (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL