The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2005 entrée: Max Maven » » Readings » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
343 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Firs off, it is a great honor to have you here. I have enjoyed your performances as well as your creativity for many years in all your guises. One of my favorite works is one you released for the lay public, "the Book of Fortune telling". As a reader I have found it invaluable. It is about the only place I have seen you address this topic, how do you feel about readings? Do you still do them? And as with Richard Webster how do balance between what you present to performers vs. the public?
How much stock do you put in these systems? While they seem to be vague and general I myself am amazed at the specifics I can encounter. Do I believe, to be honest I am not so sure anymore. As a magician I didn't want to, I took the Randi approach, but after spending years working with it knowing a lot of what I did was "contrived" I still come away from many sessions feeling like I really tapped into a person. I am not asking for you to shape my opinion, but I hold your input with high esteem and respect.
A side note: I understand you speak Japanese, how where you trained? I have explored some taped sessions but have had little luck; I guess the subtleties require live response and exposure.
Smile
<BR>"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
<BR>~Galadriel
<BR>
<BR>"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Max Maven
View Profile
V.I.P.
243 Posts

Profile of Max Maven
My take on readings is what I wrote in the introduction to that book: "Of course, the two basic questions that must be addressed at the outset are: Do fortunetelling systems really work? And do these combinations of unusual implements and cryptic symbols actually contain the details of your life?

"I think the answer to the second question is, probably not. However, I believe the answer to the first question is, yes! These systems do work successfully, because they provide a framework with which you can contact your own intuition."

Regarding Japanese, I've never done all that well with language in a classroom situation. When I was a kid, I lived in Israel for a year, and was fluent and literate in Hebrew. (That has disappeared.) As a teen-ager, I lived in Italy for a year, and by the end of that time I could pass for a native (with a Roman accent). That has atrophied, but enough remains that, along with having studied Latin in high school, I can understand a fairly good percentage of spoken or written Italian, French and Spanish. As for Japanese, I first went there in 1981, and plunged into the language before I realized just how difficult it was! I have never lived there, but have made over 35 visits, and between self-study of books and talking with friends, my command of that language is quite functional. (Unfortunately, my literacy is at a grade school level.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2005 entrée: Max Maven » » Readings » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.068023 seconds, requiring 14 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [1] [9] [5] [3] [7] [8] [2] [7]