The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2005 entrée: Max Maven » » Pro Wrestling » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Okays,Okays,...i have to ask. Whats with the pro wrestling? =)
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
You mean besides the fact that... IT ROCKS!!!
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
427 Posts

Profile of Seance
Think about it. Pro wrestling is theatrical acting turned up to the max. (no pun intended!)

It's a continuing display of the conflict of good vs. evil (babyface[good guys] vs. heel[rulebreakers]). I liken it as a soap opera for men, although a lot of women enjoy it.

The performers must grab the audience's attention, or they will not perform again. The same can be said with performers of magic and mentalism.

As for me, when someone asks why in the world I watch this, I say: "It's pure American culture."
Brian J. Hatcher
View Profile
New user
Charleston WV
52 Posts

Profile of Brian J. Hatcher
Magic and Pro Wrestling have a lot in common. In fact, I started making a list about the similarities a year ago, and now it is almost fifty items. The first item on the list?

1) They're both fake, but not as fake as you think it is.
Maior Cogitatio Magiam Maiorem Facit
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
When I tell people I'm a pro wrestling referee, people often tell me, "you know that stuff is fake don't you? Why do you watch it?" I always reply by asking the person what their favorite show is. Usually they say something like Friends, Simpsons, Seinfelds, etc. To which I always say, "Oh, I forgot those shows were real." Always gets a laugh.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
As a Pro Wrestler myself I always get a kick out of people saying its fake. Normally I tell them if they think its so fake they should look at my medical records. Second I tell them if they want to see how fake it is, they can sign release forms and get in the ring with me. I have watched Marines quit after just an hour. My current injuries involve a fracture in my back. Basically translated. a broken back.
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
I also laugh at people who try to frown on me by saying wrastlin is fake. Instead of bashing there obiously fake shows, I remind them that nothing except the TV itself is real. I then educate them that while wrestling may be predetermined and rehearsed to a degree, you can not fake a 200 plus pound man jumping 10-15ft. in the air and landing on his side or something. While many of the injuries we hear about on the shows are dramatized to fit a story, there are, more often than not, real injuries none the less.

In the past, my ex-wife would argue me every week over wrestling because she wanted to watch Charmed! I'm like, "You harp about wrestling being fake and you turn to this?! I can do better magic than they can for cryin out loud! And, I bet Prue, or any of her hokey sisters, can match the impact of... THE PEOPLE'S ELBOW!!!"
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how is Max Maven associated with Pro Wrestling?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
He had made a comment about it in a past post about his name, Talking about a wrestler named Maven Huffman. When I originally posted in here though, I didn't realize that this was the guest of honor section. I just followed a link. Sorry Max
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Your forgiven Corey... Those steroids can really mess with the memory...
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of marcjh
On the topic of wrasslin’,
There was a manager from Smoky Mountain Wrestling and the later on in ECW named Jim Mitchell (aka James Vandenburg) who was pretty much a Max Maven character. He was a goatee sporting, devil worshipping, slicked black hair doin’ bad guy. He was a heck of a good talker. It’s sad because he never made it to the big time—he had real talent. I always wondered if the guy had met Max Maven because there was a lot of Max Maven in that character.
Max Maven
View Profile
V.I.P.
266 Posts

Profile of Max Maven
I never met Jim Mitchell, but I enjoyed his work. From what I've heard, he now lives in Florida and is no longer involved with wrestling.
Jon Stetson
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Jon Stetson
When someone says wrestling is fake, I say "it only appears that way to the untrained eye".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2005 entrée: Max Maven » » Pro Wrestling » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL