The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Flickers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

saheer
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of saheer
This should probably be in "The good, the bad...," but since it is a bizarre effect, I thought I'd post it here.

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with Lary Kuehn's (T. Everett Bookings') "Flickers."

:stout:
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 76: Flickers – T. Everett Bookings III

AD:
JUST IMAGINE
A Dark Room, A Flickering Candle
And Then Suddenly
People SEE A Ghost!
Oh yes, some other spooky stuff happens too!
All you need is a candle and FLICKERS.
This really works and you don't need an assistant to actually make people believe that they've encountered a Ghost. I've actually had some real macho types come unglued with this. They swear "something" was standing/floating there because they SAW it!
Honest, its just you, the candle and your audience

REVIEW:
Abundantly overpriced, as all other Bookings’ products. You get a couple of pages describing the procedures for gimmicking a candle (but I’ve read something similar in Magick several years ago…), and an interesting tidbit to visualize the “ghost”.

Could find its place in seances or related ghost shows.

Overall rating: average

H.
Tony Ley
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FLorida
46 Posts

Profile of Tony Ley
Greetings Gentlemen -
This sounds EXTREMELY interesting! Do you know where I might find this effect? Also, do you know where I might find similar effects?

I'm currently working for Universal Orlando and am looking to develop a seance-type event for the next Halloween Horror Nights. I've never really been into bizarre magic although I like the deeper, affecting nature of it on the spectators (it's far more personal than changing four Kings into four Aces).

The more ghostly, real, or simple the effect the better.

Both of you gentlemen sound VERY knowledgeable on the subject and I'd greatly appreciate any input, ideas, or sources you wish to impart.

Thankyou for you time and take care,

Tony Ley
Rapier
View Profile
New user
USA
7 Posts

Profile of Rapier
Sounds really neat! Sounds like it would go wonderfully with slow haunted house room-by-room tours!
"He laughs at fear, afraid of nothing;
he does not shy away from the sword."
--Job 39:22
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2004-01-27 23:21, Tony Ley wrote:

This sounds EXTREMELY interesting! Do you know where I might find this effect? Also, do you know where I might find similar effects?

You can find FLICKERS (and some other ghostly effects as well) here:

http://www.jewelpro.com/boo/books.html

High price? Yes, for what it is... No, for what the effect can cause in your guests!

Sure, there are some similar methods with candles that you can find in print into books instead of paying for this one alone... that said, it's a good effect but your timing must be perfect!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Rapier
View Profile
New user
USA
7 Posts

Profile of Rapier
Question. Is the ghost 3D? Can they put their hand through it? Does it move? Smile
"He laughs at fear, afraid of nothing;
he does not shy away from the sword."
--Job 39:22
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
What they "see" for a second is a kind of white shadow in the dark (couldn't explain it worse, uh?)
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Does this effect need a complete absence of light?
Tj
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24129 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The value of anything is not necessarily in how much it costs, but the effect you are able to produce with it. Even if you are getting only an 8 page manuscript, there are production costs involved from the publisher.

I don't know whether I would say it is high priced for what you get or not.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Why are some people suggesting that it is overpriced? Is it shoddy workmanship?
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1846 Posts

Profile of chmara
Any novice should know the EFFECT is not overpriced. (Please read Bill's post above.) Any effect is worth much more than the pecuniary sum of its parts if it is a performance piece.

Too many magicians seem to feel they should only pay the price of the raw steel for an auto...at least that's the way they come across. In my experience these are the same guys who lower prices on their shows to get gigs, then cry they always get clients who will only pay the lowest bidder.

When it comes to bizarre effects—flickers is mechanically very inexpensive and should be considered a PART of a whole—not just a trick.

I recently very happily paid $900 for a prop with maybe $60 in parts, $100 labor—in it. But the creativity to put it together—priceless. A way I never would have thought of on my own. THAT'S WHAT YOU PAY FOR, the thinking.

Having said that, the Flickers is a solid effect. I use a different mechanical version for flickering my candles before my dark seance portion, and spent well over 150 hours developing a ghost appearance. In relation to that, Flickers is but the cost of a good shoe shine.

I'll get off my high horse now...
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Flickers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL