The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What Should I Do for A Spectator Like Him? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gtthecloser42
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of gtthecloser42
Normally I am much larger than the spectator and I just threaten them if they don't behave. I learned a lot of this behavior from watching old Don Alan tapes. Okay not really but personally I am always reluctant to perform magic unless I am asked. In fact once I am asked I usually stall even longer to make sure they want to see magic. This anticipation helps me in several different ways. I can kind of see who in the group is going to be a trouble maker. If any I make sure I am very selective in my material. If there are a lot of analytical people in the group I try to perform sucker tricks or effects with multiple phases. If I feel they are grabbers then I will only perform tricks that stay in my hand. After I decide which effects I perform (which normally is no more than 3 effects) I execute and hope for the best. Strangely I never perform for family. I've had large rooms of people in the palm of my hand, I can't control a living room filled with my extended family.
georgel
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of georgel
I recently had a magician I was taking lessons from tell me he usually starts his performance with the following;

Note: depending on the clients of course.

I am not here to fool you or trick you I am here to entertain you so at the end of my performance I hope I leave here with smiles on your faces. Thank You !!
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Once in a great while I have said for laughs, "If anyone out there figures out how one of these tricks are done (pause) please do not feel the need to tell me (longer pause) I already know." Smile Smile Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I had a friend who, regardless of if he was right or not, was a very smart spectator to say the least. Everything in his eyes was a puzzle and treated it as such. I told him to just enjoy the show. Needless to say, he's helped me along the way with some of my slights and moves. If you can get it past him, you can definitely get it past a lay audience. However, if you feel the need to walk away because of it, do so. No need to prove to him anything. Smile
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
It was because it was a friend. If it was someone which you didn't know so personally they would have had the courtesy not to ask so many questions.
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
You shoulda stopped at the first effect. Just let it go man - you were trying to win a losing battle.

If he was my friend and I was performing infront of other people - I woulda taken him aside and punched him. Seriously though, some people just don't appreciate the gift of magic. try a quick throw away effect to suss out whether a person is receptive or not- if they are turning over cards when they shouldnt be or grabbing things -just don't bother- you aren't getting paid for the stress you're going thru.

I've been in the situation and have also tried to prove my way out of it but it only justifies his behaviour.

When you performing for a crowd and one idiot acts up- just reply" sorry folks I would go on to the really good stuff- but I'm afraid my concenration is being broken by this gentleman" They will make him shut up.

hope we helped
Mac
kitsuken
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of kitsuken
There is another way you can deal with someone like him. He sees working out the magic trick as a puzzle, a challenge. Well, that's fair enough, that's just how his mind works. But if he really is trying as hard as this to work things out, point out to him that you telling him how to do that trick would spoil the puzzle for him. Tell him that, if he wants, he can read magic books x, y and z, and then you'll perform the sequence again and he can try and work it out again. If he reads the books, works out how the tricks are done and can now solve the puzzle, he'll go away happy from your second show (although you should make sure to ask him to keep the "answers" till the end), he can tell you what gave the game away and, if you're lucky, you now have a friend who is interested in magic

Why am I saying this? Cause I'm exactly like that guy. I used to get bored during most magic shows because I knew it was "just a trick" and try and work out how it was done. Now that I've taken an interest and *know* how it's done I enjoy seeing someone do the tricks I know seen well.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
That reminds me of the last time that I went home for the holidays. I did Brainwave for my mother. At the end she asked how I did it. "It was magic, Mama, you know you don't tell the secret of magic."

"No, I reckon you don't. Let me see those cards."
"Mama, I ain't gonna let you see these cards, let me show you this. We call it the 'Cups and Balls'."

"RICKY, you get your butt over here and hand me those cards. I ain't too old to tan your hide, young man."

"Yes ma'am."

Hey, I'm a magician but I'm also a Southern Gentleman and Mama is always Mama. My point is, I don't show magic to friends and family. They tend to feel that they have a right to demand to know how it's done.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What Should I Do for A Spectator Like Him? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL