The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Vernon's book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
A good magician that I know recommend me to have vernon's book (dai vernon book of magic, inner card trilogy, ultimate secrets of card magic) but he didn't tell if it's for beginner or not. are those books really good source on magic? is it hard for beginner to use the books?
thx
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I don't consider Vernon's books beginners books at all. They can be used for intermediate work and above. If you're looking to get into cards, I would suggest Card College series to get you started. Then I would turn to Vernon.
Coram Deo
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
On 2005-05-28 01:33, Steven Steele wrote:
I don't consider Vernon's books beginners books at all. They can be used for intermediate work and above. If you're looking to get into cards, I would suggest Card College series to get you started. Then I would turn to Vernon.

Nothing more to say.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
So it means that the books are good for advanced magician, right?
I know from the other thread about roberto giobbi's card college, but the series is too much and the price is quite expensive (especially if I have to import it to my country!)
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Even if you are a begginer, these are books you should have in your library. 10 months ago when I got away from gimmicks and started doing sleights I bought books that where ahead of me. Like Art Of astonishment. Now I am up to speed with those books, and I am glad I got them when I did. Also I believe if you have more advanced books in your library that you will work harder to get to that advanced level. Just me 2 cents.
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Hmmm it's a good idea... do you have any suggestion which book should I buy first?
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
If you want general magic, not specifically cards only, and you still want to stick with Vernon, start with his "Dai Vernon Book of Magic."

It has cards, coins, balls, linking rings, even his famous Cups and Balls routine.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Nothing more to say.

Magixx

Can't agree more. Take a look at Steve Brook's recommendations in the very beginning of New To Magic Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
There's a very good book--excellent variety of Magic taught with illustrations and interesting commentary--by George B. Anderson. This book is Magic Digest and although it's out of print, it can be found fairly easily and at a relatively low price. (There's a copy on e-bay now.)

It's a great read whether you're brand new in Magic or a seasoned pro.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
If you are a real beginner, for example with only one year experience with magic, it won't be too late to wait a few year before you read Dai Vernon Book of Magic. If you have more experience, you will be more impressed with the book.

Hideo Kato
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Evolve629, I've read the thread, but I didn't find vernon's book, so I tried to ask here...

I'm sorry if my question is a little bit out of the topic. now I have to choose which book to buy: Dai Vernon's Book of Magic or one of Paul Harris's Art of Astonishment. Maybe both of them is advanced book, but what is the different between the two books? I mean which one is better (from the tricks, the sleight, the explanation, the picture, etc)
thx
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
If the Card College series is too expensive, go for Royal Road to Card Magic. Much cheaper, but written to perfection.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Yes, I've decided to buy Royal Road To Card Magic, Magic and Showmanship, and I want to buy 1 advanced book between AoA by Paul Harris and Vernon's Book of Magic...
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
Paul Harris is my favourite magician for his thinking. Reading his book is a pleasure and there is lots of great material in them. Vernon is just as good... classic effects, all with that Vernon touch, however, Harris has a certain touch which makes his books so enjoyable to read, you wont regret buying them. I have both sets, and I would advise getting AoA, get Vernons set if your looking to perfect your magical technique, or if your looking to get a bit more advanced. Further, for full on card finesse... Ed Marlo's Revolutionary Card Technique has a wealth of info enough for us all in a lifetime.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
I have the Dai Vernon book of magic and there is some wonderful routines in there
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Quote:
On 2005-05-30 12:25, spycrapper wrote:
Yes, I've decided to buy Royal Road To Card Magic, Magic and Showmanship, and I want to buy 1 advanced book between AoA by Paul Harris and Vernon's Book of Magic...

I'm probably in the minority with this opinion, but I think "Expert Card Technique" is a better purchase than "Royal Road to Card Magic".

If you want a book between AOA and Vernon, try "Fechter" or "Marlo Without Tears". Both of those are very good.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Expert Card Technique is not really suitable for a "beginner". It's at the very least an "intermediate" learning tool. (It might actually be discouraging for someone just starting out.)
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
I didn't find it discouraging, myself. I felt it gave me a better grounding in card technique. The biggest problem I have with Royal Road is that it doesn't teach enough sleights and immediately follows each instruction with routines. While this is ostensibly to illustrate how to use the techniques, I find it gives a beginner the false perception that he/she is immediately ready to run out and perform these routines. While Expert Card Technique is slightly more difficult to get into, it rewards patience and practice which I think should be encouraged.
bigdw1
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of bigdw1
Irishguy-i like your name, my wife is part irish. But about your post, Hugard in RRTCM seems to think the point of having tricks at the end of each chapter is that the best way to learn a sleight is to use a sleight in a trick. It enforces what is learned in the chapter. I don't think it is false perception if you practice a trick or a routine until very near perfection then go and perform. That is what Hugard is saying. I do agree with you that ECT has many great jewels of sleight of hand to be found.
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Thank you for all your replies here...now I've decided not to buy any vernon's book until I move into advanced...about RRTCM, some of my senior and few people on the other thread said that the book is hard to understand. so I decided to buy card college by Roberto Giobbi...
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Vernon's book (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL