The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Another Blaine Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Salbert
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Salbert
In one of Blaine's specials, Magic Man I believe, Blaine would go up to (supposedly) random people and ask them to think of someone who is important to them. He would then burn his clothes or something, and the name or picture of that person was there on his skin. I know how the taxi cab stunt was done, but what about these other things?
gngorick
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of gngorick
All the dirty work has been done ahead of time with a couple of supposedly random people. I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about Smile
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Yeah, let all be enlightened to the fact that TV magic is far from the magic we perform in "real time" in the "real streets." its a whole other ball game...

we live in a time where anything goes..."trick" cameras are considered magic...

BUT, don't get the Baba wrong, I respect Blaine and his interpretation of the ancient craft, but that's a whole other thread...

Baba
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
If you are asking how he actually made the name appear in ashes, there are special pens you can buy from magic shops that make this possible. As for getting the names, he just used a C*nt*r T**r off camera
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
I have to agree with Baba. Blaine used the medium he was performing in as a gimmick to entertain the home audience. People forget that Blaine didn't always have that luxury and spent a lot of time performing in the trenches.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-06-01 02:30, Jordini wrote:
If you are asking how he actually made the name appear in ashes, there are special pens you can buy from magic shops that make this possible. As for getting the names, he just used a C*nt*r T**r off camera

Can you be more specific on those pens? Do they have a name, and what specific shop carries them?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Just use a chunk of soap. wet it a little than write it on ur arm.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've done the soap method before, but I never realized there was a pen specially made to do the job.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
I only know the soap method. Never heard of a special pen for this.
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
ITs called an "ash pen."

It used to be sold at ellusionist. Im pretty sure it still is.

google it.
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Soap, transparent lipstick and candle wax do the job. The pen only exist, because someone decided he could make a few bucks with that, knowing, that magicians would prefer the expensive pen over cheap alternatives.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Chapstick works great for this. To perform this you don't even need to use a CT. Just pick the peoples brains for a bit and you will find out info that they will write down.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-06-07 14:24, Roland Henning wrote:
Soap, transparent lipstick and candle wax do the job. The pen only exist, because someone decided he could make a few bucks with that, knowing, that magicians would prefer the expensive pen over cheap alternatives.

Now I see! Thanks!
Magic George
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Magic George
Actually for the name tricks, I don't think he knew the poeple and it was justa tv trick, all they did was cut out a bit of stuff, he used the method of getting someone to right in the centre of the page, and then he some how told them they did it wrong, and he rips up the paper, but he keeps the corner of the folded paper,this part has the name, he goes away while they write the name again, and while they are doing that he uses something to write on his arm, they rest is what you see on the show
My Real Name is Greg.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Stooges, and camera editing. I am not a blaine fan at all.
EvanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of EvanTheMagicMan
One simple word-stooges.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
David Blaine would ask the person the name of someone. Once the spectator thinks of the name because that person is so important a higher energy field is created by the spectator. David Blaine is able to absorb this energy via a thinner than usual part of his skull, thanks to an accidental fall he had whilst visiting his grandmothers grave as a child resulting in a concusion. Oddly David is not always able to voice the name of the individual but what does happen is the brain, in need of an outlet and not finding a traditional one, alters the cells in Blaines arm. This is simular to goosebumps but subconcious knowledge of how to spell the name works with the unexpressed energy as absorbed causing selective goose bumps to develope. This is refered to in research as Subliminal Selective Processing, not to be confused with Concious Selective Processing as is done by some. Either way you then have these slightly elevated cells, or goose bumps, and when the ashes are applied the elevated bumps naturally pick up the majority of the ash in passing causing the appearance of a shadow effect look and the name can be read. There are methods to reproduce this effect using manipulative methodology as these other street magicians are expressing but whilst their approach is like a green screen in a move, giving us only the appearance of the activity, David Blaine, coming from an ancenstory steep in the powers of other dimensions, does it using actual methods not those perceived and delivered. I hope that makes it clear. I suggest unless you have the ability to absorb the energy you consider one of these common methods.
Steve V
thePyramidWithin
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of thePyramidWithin
The ASh pen. I was about to order this a while ago but got turned off by a crapload of bad reviews...stick to chapstick.
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Scattered Dream
If you watch the taxi cab mind reading, when David Blaine says "Dawn" The guy with the lady responds like how did he know that. But the lady never said the name during the scene so how did the guy also know what the name was. Just a reinforcer of scenes being chopped up but I like David Blaine more than any other Tv magician and had inspired me to get into magic.
Zorlio
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Zorlio
I dunno bout these ash pens - never used one, BUT what works great is some soap and a moistened Q-tip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Another Blaine Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL