The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Vern or Vinyl Vern (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I started to learn ventriloquism a little under a month ago, and wanted to buy a puppet to practice and perform with. So I decided, I should buy Vinyl Vern, for it's price, and its versatility. However, after reading many posts, I see all the rave is about the puppet, "Vern the Bird." I do not have a lot of money to spend right now, so I can't really afford that one just yet. My question is: Is Vern The Bird (for an amature vent) worth the extra $120?

Thanks,
Gideon

P.S. On Axtell's website, they say that the Bird Arm Illusion is good for Vinyl Vern, unless over 6 feet. I am 6 feet, so would this be pushing it? Also, I am 15 years old right now, so I very easily could still grow another inch or two.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
SwissKid,

I don't really know if you size would be pushing it, as you say...I would suggest you ask Steve Axtell. He will be more than happy to help and will do right by you. He is on this board..but you can contact him thru his website too.

If I were in your situation, especially since you havent stoped growing yet, I wouldnt be in a big hurry. The latex version will last longer than the vinyl. But then since it is just for practice....

Also, don't be afraid to consider other Axtell birds. I have Ding Dong Do Do and very pleased with his quality and he has plenty of character too. I don't know about the vinyl Vern but all of the standard Axtell birds will fit even a very large adult arm.

If you havent checked yet...Axtell puppets come up for sale on ebay fairly frequently so keep your eye out. Good luck!

Mark
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Gideon,

I have both Vern puppets and I find that the reaction I get does not depend on which one I use. Sometimes I use the Bird Arm, others I don't. The routine still goes over well. It's good with the arm or without. The arm just makes it look a little more realistic, but they know it's a puppet. It just helps them suspend disbelief. However, at a certain age, they will tell me that they know it was a fake arm and a bird puppet.

Use the vinyl Vern until you are really comfortable and have a solid act. The Latex Vern is a more suitable prop for a professional act, but people still love the vinyl version.

Oliver
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Gideon; defineatly contact steve thru the web site. He is a very honest dealer. I have dealt with him going on almost 20 years now I used to sell his products when I was a dealer. He will help you the best h cam . But remember buy what you can afford today but don't forget to make money so you can enhance your show as your talents grow. Get out and perform gain expierence and you can make vinyl, laxtes or even a hunk of wood come to life. The key is practice, practice and practice. Chuck Lyons
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Yeah, Jim Barber can even make his hand talk & look alive in his show!

If cost is a concern, I feel you should take the Vinyl. It still looks good and you can scale your show to make more money in future.
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Well I posted this in early June, but now it is late July and I have a good some of money (well for a 15 year old), but I think that I will still go for the vinyl one as there are other things to buy, I will probably purchase it within a month (I know I'm slow with these things).

Thanks guys,
Gideon
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Vern or Vinyl Vern (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL