The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Daryl's "Encyclopedia of Card Sleights" and "Card College" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
If I already own the entire set of Daryl's "Encyclopedia of Card Sleights" is it worth it to buy the entire set of "Card College"?
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
The Card College series is EXCELLENT! I would still recommend the purchase of these books since they are an incredible reference resource. In my opinion you will be able to master card handling techniques to a greater extent with these books. The Card College series goes into great depth on the moves while also providing the presentational framework surrounding the moves. I would purchase the first 3 volumes to start and see what you think. Pick routines that you would like to learn and write down the sleights required by these routines. Use the Card College books to research the sleights and gain a deeper understanding of what is required technically. In addition, there are some excellent routines within Card College that are excellent to work through. Overall, if you are serious about cards then you cannot go wrong with this series. Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights compliments the books well since you can see what the moves look like. Both are excellent training materials yet you'll probably get a deeper understanding from the books.

I wish you the best.

Kind regards,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I asked Daryl which is better, the books or videos? He gave an excellent answer. He said: (not an exact quote), "it depends if you prefer to learn from books or video".
I actually learn better from books. But I bought both the books and his videos. You can't go wrong. If you can't afford them all at one time, buy them one at a time.
It is worth it to own them all.

ACE
green
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of green
I should say you should get a set of card college because it is more comprehensive. It includes sleights, tricks, routining, presentation and misdirection. But for Daryl DVD, you learn nothing but sleights.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have both a use Daryl to see what the moves are meant to look like and Card College to learn HOW they are meant to be done.

Being ambidexeterous I have learnt some moves meant for the right hand with my leftand some move meant for my left hand with my right! It gets tricky when I have to swap them back and forth all the time in my head when reading Card College! I read the description and method for the KM Move for about 15 minutes before realise that I already knew it but they nobody had told me its name!

You will find that they tend to disgaree on some points which is nice. For example, Card College derides the 'shunt' approach when doing the vernon multiple shift whilst Daryl gives it the thumbs up.

I'd suggest sitting down with an index notepad (a-z) and taking notes on everything from Arscino to Zarrow!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I would not keep buying stuff but really master what you have. I think what you get with Daryl is more than enough for any card guy. It is not what you know or what you do it is how good you do it that is important. It is no good thinking the next thing I buy will make me good.

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Very true...but something like Card College will certainly make you better!
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Neil
Anyone serious about cards should own Card College.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Tommy these guys are bang on with Card College. Giobbi teaches a lot of stuff but also makes sure that he provides good tricks in which to use the sleights. In other words, you're not being taught a bunch of random sleights in isolation from real world application. He is a fantastic writer, and an even better teacher. The illustrations are top notch.

I attended a lecture once in which the instructor was constantly referencing various moves, techniques, tricks. Some of the guys there had been into card magic for way longer than me, and they were totally lost when the instructor referred to specific ideas, techniques etc. I'm not slamming these guys at all - they could do some good magic, but they were limited when it came to the "language" of card magic, if you will. I was able to follow along easily because I've given myself a fairly solid grounding and foundation by reading and working through some of the Card College books. Even if I can't do all the stuff in there, I have some understanding of what it is and how it works.

Card College will make you good, if you work through the stuff in it and learn from Giobbi's philosophy of magic. I would challenge anyone to dispute this. Certainly it takes years and years - I'm not all the way through and have a long way to go.

I agree that the "next thing" syndrome is prevalent amongst our crowd. I do think that CC is a good investment, though.

So my vote goes for CC over Daryl, as good as his videos are. He teaches a bajillion sleights - but not a lot of application of the sleights, within the context of tricks.
tjo'
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
Thanks for all the responses. It seems most people say thct card college is very goog. So...... how do people feel about the card college books versus the ebooks?
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Neil
Why?

Because the books are just about the greatest works on learning card magic ever written. You learn all the sleights in the finest detail imaginable with subtleties culled from 100's of other works. The descriptions and pictures are so clear and informative - it really does set the bar for other magic books. As with RRTCM you get good effects to learn relating to the sleights. It's also very up to date with lots of modern moves.

He also teaches loads about routining and misdirection - some of the clearest and most complete essays available IMO.

If you are serious about this art then you will want the best tools and the CC series are just that.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
You ask a difficult question. You already have a compendium on sleights, so the question is: why do you need another source? Basically the CC books are used as a reference. But you have already a reference. So to be honest, I don't think you need the CC books. Please don't get me wrong, I like the CC books very much - but I don't have another source. So for me, they are THE source. But for you..... it is different. So my answer would be this: if you have the money, and you like to learn from books, then you can of course buy the CC books. But please don't expect too much new stuff.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
They are very different. Daryl goes fast but explains everything clearly. There is a huge amount of material covered on all eight volumes. I like them because when you're learning and exploring different sleights, you can pick which one you like out of all the ones he shows. It does take some time just to watch. Eight dvds on sleights is alot.

Card College is excellent. There are more tricks and the material is explained clearly. You get more detail and psychology on the moves also. If you're a reader than Card College is #1.
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
703 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
I cannot recommend the Card College series enough. My whole foundation comes straight from Card College by reading 1-4 from cover to cover multiple times and learning everything. The best buy I ever made.

It is often argued that if you can see a sleight it is learned easier. While that might be true I found that by NOT seeing a sleight first I was much more motivated to refine it until it looked almost as perfect as I imagined it. Sometimes I was even happy with the result.

Denis

PS: Kard Kollege RULZ!!
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 12:30, calexa wrote:
You ask a difficult question. You already have a compendium on sleights, so the question is: why do you need another source? Basically the CC books are used as a reference. But you have already a reference. So to be honest, I don't think you need the CC books. Please don't get me wrong, I like the CC books very much - but I don't have another source. So for me, they are THE source. But for you..... it is different. So my answer would be this: if you have the money, and you like to learn from books, then you can of course buy the CC books. But please don't expect too much new stuff.

Magixx

I must respectfully disagree - Card College is a reference source, indeed, but it is also a well planned out Course of material - more than just reference material. He teaches things in a specific order, and for specific reasons.
tjo'
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 13:10, T. Joseph O'Malley wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-06-22 12:30, calexa wrote:

Magixx

I must respectfully disagree - Card College is a reference source, indeed, but it is also a well planned out Course of material - more than just reference material. He teaches things in a specific order, and for specific reasons.

Yes it is a course, but here the question is whether someone needs the books in addition to the Videos. I don't think so, although I understand it will depend very much on how successful someone is with the videos. I just want to point out that there might be disappointment, because of the similarities of the material.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
Canvey Island Essex ENGLAND
552 Posts

Profile of Canvey Card Sharp
I must stand alone here - I find reading Card College as dull as ditch water - perhaps its because I find Giobbi's style of writing boring (or perhaps it's the cheap quality paper used)!

This is what Al Smith of England had to say:

"Tread carefully through the sermons, beware the pomposity that from time to time seeps out the author's writing style and this four volume (now 5 of course) work is a gem. Also approach with caution his comments on Carmen D'Amico's Multiple Shift and the Faro Shuffle: they're nonsense. Some of the credit references are suspect, too.

Perhaps Al's comments are much fairer than mine BUT (and this is only my view) this series doesn't teach you much that Expert Card Technique by Hugard & Braue doesn't cover for a fraction of the cost.
Barry Allen

A Trick....A Smile....Applause
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
Quote:
On 2005-06-23 13:22, Canvey Card Sharp wrote:
I must stand alone here - I find reading Card College as dull as ditch water -

But you praise Paul Gordon's books? Seems ironic to me!
Card College is an amazing work if you work through it. Like Dennis mentioned above, I think they are books that need to be read and read more than once to fully appreciate them.
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
Canvey Island Essex ENGLAND
552 Posts

Profile of Canvey Card Sharp
Not really.

Paul's style doesn't include waffle and boring overviews. His effects are clear cut and effective. What's more, they earn me money in the real world.

Have you purchased ALL his material to base you opinion? If so, WHY?? if you don't like his style or his material?
Barry Allen

A Trick....A Smile....Applause
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
I have some of his material and I shouldn't have even mentioned anything in this topic to get it off topic, I will pm you how I feel about the material ofMr. Gordon's that I have worked through.

I, personally haven't seen any boring overviews in Card College and think that his teaching and writing style are very good and to the point.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Daryl's "Encyclopedia of Card Sleights" and "Card College" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL