The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Floating table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Any plans or books that describe the make up of a floating table?.......

Thanks for all of your work and help

Bry
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Bry;
There are many different methods/styles of the floating table.

Some that require a specific table and gimmicks, and others that can use a regular card table.

You can find a great floating table at Owens magic, as well as another at Stevens magic.

It all depends on the effect that you are looking to acheive.

Matt
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I checked all the other posts where people have asked this same question but I never saw a half way decent answer besides, "don't bother, just buy one." I didn't know if there was anything out there in plan form or in a book that explains the techniques clearly.......

Thanks, Bry
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2058 Posts

Profile of Devious
There are currently no plans for the various floating table effects on the market at this time.....To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any in the works either.

Are you just curious as to the methods or do you have "Plans" (pun intended) to construct one?
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I'm just curious to the methods so I can design my own......I'm no dummy, I've owned zomies for years, I just want to know the exact specifics of the designs.....

Take care, Bry
dan bivaldi
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of dan bivaldi
Bry,
It just so happens I come across the lossander video on the web and saw him performing the floating table effect.
After reading some older threads on the magic Café a began to investigate a little as to the workings as I must admit lossander does a nice performance of the floating table and I wouldnt mind putting this in my own act.sorry I cant remember the exact location.It was probably his own site.
Anyway after a few searches I realized either somebody is making a fortune out of these or I come from mars!!!
I am buy profession a carpenter/joiner also a magician.Put these together and yes youve guessed it a floating table for about £20.
OK your not to give away secrets here but come on, wood that has the weight of cardboard zombie gimmick and a small lightweight magnet for the second effect, DOH!!!
Hey Presto a floating table for £1000 less materials £20 I can knock them out for £980 profit.
Poof !!!!

Make that http://www.losander.com
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1310 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 17:43, dan bivaldi wrote:
Bry,
It just so happens I come across the lossander video on the web and saw him performing the floating table effect.
After reading some older threads on the magic Café a began to investigate a little as to the workings as I must admit lossander does a nice performance of the floating table and I wouldnt mind putting this in my own act.

You should say, Losander does a nice performance of LOSANDER'S FLOATING TABLE. I don't want to start a flame war here, and a search of the Café shows that this has been discussed at length, but I think it is important to point out that the idea of using this method in this way for this effect belongs to Losander and the fact that he can sell it to professional magicians for a good price just shows the value of the overall package.

To put this argument in another way, I know how to run a CD burner and I can get blank CDs for under a buck a piece, consequently, I can get rich in the music business by burning all of the most popular CDs and just pocketing the extra $14-$15.

Thanks,
Richard
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Richard

Isn't it amazing how often someone wants to make a buck on some ripoff of someone elses work. Even sadder is the number of magicians willing to look the other way. One of the newer sponsors of the Café is now manufacturing a ripoff of the Losander table. Shame, Shame!

Nathan
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of Harry H
There are at least two companies making floating tables(aside Losander)so are they legitimate or ripoffs?
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
There are other tables that use different methods of levitation. When I use the term "rip off " I'm talking about the ones that use the Wonder/Losander method of levitation.

Nathan
dan bivaldi
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of dan bivaldi
Don't forget chaps you say the losander/wonder method of floating table,you really mean the variation of an original method used many years ago.Lets face it the gimmick is years old neither of them invented it.The gimmick they use is a slieght variation on someone elses.
making your own cd's for a few bucks is a bit different to making a grand.
I have looked at these table pics close up and believe me they ain't no chippendale.
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Sorry....we've heard this one before. Just another lame excuse to rip someone off. If the idea is so old then why didn't you start building tables long ago? You had to see losanders effect before you came up with the idea.

If you owned a table you'd know that its no ordinary gimmick. It features several variations that make it different enought to be called original.
No offence but it there's one thing I've learned its that when someone wants to copy someone elses work the will do whatever they can to justify it.

Nathan
dan bivaldi
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of dan bivaldi
OBVIOUSLY IVE SEEN THE FLOATING TABLE MANY TIMES !!!
Not just the Losander.the reason I havent thought of making one before is because ive been doing other things.
Just get any magic dvd today and you can bet that someone else is claiming the rights for this and that effect.I see so many dvds now where the magician says "i did this before so and so magician but he says he did it before me but anyhow"they just cant face its someone elses idea.
don't defend magicians who copy ideas from long ago and claim them to be theirs.
I take it when all you magicians that go to magic clubs and the like,Do you all sit there and say I cant show you how I do that because its on a dvd and you will have to buy the dvd.How many times have I heard this.
this is a magic club for magicians.Laypeople don't bother with sites like this.
so come on get into the magic club spirit.
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Quote:
On 2005-06-29 15:41, dan bivaldi wrote:
the reason I havent thought of making one before is because ive been doing other things.
Just get any magic dvd today and you can bet that someone else is claiming the rights for this and that effect.

this is a magic club for magicians.Laypeople don't bother with sites like this.
so come on get into the magic club spirit.

Hey ya, Hey ya, Hey ya...step right up folks and rip off your fellow magician..its the magic club spirit after all.

By the way...can you tell us just which magician claims to have invented this effect/method before Wonder/Losander ? I didn't think so.

Nathan
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2058 Posts

Profile of Devious
No one has ever floated a table before with the use of this gimmick or idea...Why don't you just float something different...look at Mr. Nielsen and his elegant violin?
Create something different to float and then claim originality, is what I say.
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Ahhhhhhhhh! ORIGINALITY!!! How refreshing! There's a boy who's going places. Good for you.

Nathan
dan bivaldi
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of dan bivaldi
Just pay your $1000 and take your pick.
No thanks I will go on ebay and get a pack of balsa wood for £10 and start making!!!
ye ha round em up son.
p.s
By the way get some old magic books and you will be surprised at what effects and slieghts have been claimed from.
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Dan,

Why stop there? Why waste time on the small items. Why not build a few Blaney Levitations ..and how bout an Origami? Much bigger bucks in those illusions. People were levitated and pierced long before the likes of Blaney or Stenimeyer.

Nathan
dan bivaldi
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of dan bivaldi
Its not a question of building everything I can.I just thought I would like to include the floating table principle into my act.Upon seeing the price for such a thing I was amazed at what people would pay for such a cheaply made item.
I am not on the band wagon of ripping evry magic effect off because I think they are too pricy,I just am not going to pay £1000 pounds for what has a value of just a fraction of that.
Anyway big items are a different thing,Although he origami could easily be built if you wanted that sort of illusion,Nathan you need 2 people for this I don't know if you know this.Hence these 2 people illusions would not suit my act.
Nathan can you honestly say that you havent sent for a magic item and when you open it you think s**t what a piece a junk.
Perfect spoon bend ?
Fearsons Instant vanish ?
Psycho-logicoin 2 ?

I could go on

"look into my eyes"
"look into my eyes"
"Aaaaand sleep"

Say this fast while staring into someones eyes and place your hand on their shoulder.
Hey presto you are a mind reader!!!
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Dan,

Firstly I have to thank you for keeping this thread civil and not letting it turn into some sort of battle of the flames. This is a hot topic and that does happen quite easily. In the past I've gotten into some real name-calling dozeys and then when the heat died down found that the person on the other end really wasn't such a bad guy and we became friends.

Yes...we've all bought junk and felt ripped off....BUT the Losander Table is not junk but rather a work of art. I don't own one but I've seen one up close and greatly admire the craftmanship that went into it. Its also a clever prop and some day when I can afford one I'll make sure to get an "Original Losander."

Nathan
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2058 Posts

Profile of Devious
I own a table from Losander...in fact he flew into my town and personally delivered it.....It isn't a cheaply made item as you state.....in addition to the other gimmick it isn't a small magnet either, but I'll leave that to you to find out...The magnets affect the balance and aren't used for the secondary effect.

Yes, sure I could now have a local r/c airplane builder make me one, but I wouldn't dare cross that line. I enjoy performing this effect knowing full well that Dirk and his father crafted the one that I am using in my presentations, it adds a little something to it. This most likely wouldn't be the case in your mind, but for me it is an important factor.

I wish you well! If you are going to take the time to create the effect, why not float something different? Is there really a reason for you to create a table?
Why not a gumball machine, a book, a small airplane, car, computer, copy machine, rubber tire, barstool, etc....you get the picture?
dan bivaldi
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of dan bivaldi
Yes thanks for keeping it a civil discussion and I take onboard your views.
I also take the point of floating something else but will have to think on that for a while.I like the table as it looks elegant and as you say crafted so making it float just looks good.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1310 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Not to change the subject too much, but I was curious about where the effect of table floating came from. I understand it became very popular at the turn of the 20th century with the rise of spiritualism, but does it go back further than this?

Thanks,
Richard
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2058 Posts

Profile of Devious
Yes it does Richiardi!
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1310 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
What's the earliest reference we can find? I don't mean just for the Zombie-style method, but to the effect itself. I think Sharpe wrote something on the history of floating effects. Does anyone know what he says?

Thanks,
Richard
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
763 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Well, there are a lot of magicians here in our country who uses the Floating Table.
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Nathan, thanks for taking my simple question and turning it into no help at all for me. I don't think I'll be asking too many more questions on this forum.

Take care, Bry
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Quote:
On 2005-07-05 17:50, bry1513 wrote:
Nathan, thanks for taking my simple question and turning it into no help at all for me. I don't think I'll be asking too many more questions on this forum.

Take care, Bry

I agree with you Bry. You shouldn't post many more questions on this forum regards stealing an effect from two of the great minds of magic. People who care about this art AND ethics are bound to call you on it.

Its nothing personal. If you conjure up some new method in magic yourself and marketed it....I'd be all over the person who posted asking how they could rip YOU off.

Nathan
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1001 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Same old "ethics" argument. It boils down to the "big name magicians" can do whatever they want, but someone else does basically the same thing and they are accused of stealing or being unethical. So I guess I'm also not allowed to put together my own computer system or work on my own vehicle because I'm not the one who came up with any of it. I know what is being discussed here is a little different, but you get my point.

Oh yeah, the Zombie gimmick and variations, like the method used for Losander's Table, have been published. Therefore, you can use them. If you don't want someone using certain methods, then do not publish them. I know there are a lot of cheap looking imitations and people who think they can do a better job than they actually can, but if you can then why not? Who knows, you may stumble upon something new. Of course my opinion does not count because I'm not a "big time magician."
Magic Nathan
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Magic Nathan
Micheal,

You're right when you say. "Same old ethics arguement" I know better than to preach to a brick wall. I don't have to argue my point for ethics...your postings do that for me. You take the low road if it suits you and justify it any way you'd like.

Good Luck in your career and may you someday become a big time magician........who invents something.

Nathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Floating table (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.176016 seconds, requiring 76 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [1] [9] [2] [2] [8] [1] [7]