The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New great tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ã…land, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Hello. I would like to learn a couple of new great effects. Normally I do stuff like; Paperclipped (Sankey), ACR, Here Then There/Ultimate Transpo (real name??), "Be Honest, What Is It", Card To Wallet (often in my ACR), Cannibal Cards, Mystery Card, Biddle Trick, (and some more). Thanks.

P.s. Preferably with a normal deck, but a little prep., is ok if it's quick and easy.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I suggest you buy a book. Try the Royal Road to Card Magic by Hugard and Braue. And if not get the Card College series. It's a great investment. You will learn techniques, sleights, and a whole lot more stuff essential to and pertaining to card magic.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
MagicKim. Get Bill Malones on the losse volumes 1-4, they are great. The tricks I have performed to people from bills's dvd's, I have had brilliant reactions. Trust me with this.

Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I recommend Scott Alexander's 10 O'Clock Show and Midnight Show dvds! They are really great. His materials are never boring and I believe are on the cutting-edge of magic. However, his stuff are always practical and easy to perform. I wish you all the best and fun in your endeavor finding great new tricks.

And if you want to just give your ACR a new twist, try omni-deck. It's really fun with the ACR. Martin Sanderson's use this gimmick in his ACR and the audience just floored.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
Jerry Mentzer has a few books with minimal sleights, Simple yet Effective Card tricks and Cunning Card Miracles are both good starts. Also maybe check out Hugard's Encyclopedia of card tricks for book full of effects.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Try Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment series. It is loaded with great effects.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I agree with the book comment of Brian's. New is a relative term. Anything you haven't seen before qualifies as new so there are many old things in books not yet seen. I see that our friends at Dover Publications have reprinted John Scarne's book, Scarne on Card Tricks.

An excellent book, quality material without difficult sleights. Of couse you could do them with difficult sleights if you'd like to - don't want to step on any toes. I do card magic but it isn't my specialty.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
I agree on the Malone dvd's, I just got them and they are great. there is a lot of material on them that I'm going to use
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
I am game with the suggestion of Paul Harris' "Art of Astonishment". It works great for me. JPV
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
ryay
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ryay
all the suggestions are great, but the problem with these posts is that we don't know the authors skill level, so its kinda hard to decide what to reccomend.
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Tappahannock, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
Art of Astonishment is a great choice. There is someting for everyone in there. And not just cards either, but a plethora of outstanding magic. The best part of this book is his random stuff that will make you think and perhaps lead you to creating your own effects. Another suggestion I can make is perhaps the bound Apocalypse, or Epilogue. These are wonderful books. Although big and kind of expensive, they are an investment that will pay for themselves over and over if you do paying gigs. Good luck, and hope this helps.

Jonathan Brown
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
I also say Bill Malones and Paul Harris, there are tons of tricks in theere and a lot of tricks that take little prep.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote:
ps. preferable with a normal deck, but a little prep is ok if it's quick and easy.

Then maybe the AoA series is nothing for you.

I would recommend Micheal Close's "Workers" ebook. A lot of great material in there, and complete with pattern, woutine, etc.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Just so the threadstarter knows, AoA isn't based on set-ups or things of the nature.

Sure, it has them. But some of the best stuff in there is no-prep work. Invisible Palm, Re-Set, Sidewinder, Unshuffling Rebecca, Simple Switch, Instant Replay... heck man, the list goes on.

Also, Blackjack Challenge. I'm working on it right now, and it truly is a monster of a routine where the spec cuts to blackjacks as well as yourself but do so in an "incredible" fashion. Very slight set-up, if you set up "Be Honest" in front of the specs, you can do this in front of them too.

If you want some stuff to keep you busy and hit people hard, get the set.
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
munch1215
View Profile
New user
California
77 Posts

Profile of munch1215
On Bill Malone's DVD, there are a lot of false cuts and shuffles for his Bellhop routine. Also Brian Tudor's Generation Extreme has some good false shuffles and cuts that are also flashy.
Look deep within yourself for inspiration
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Profile of Fiddling-Steve
Quote:
On 2005-07-03 07:32, KidCrenshaw wrote:
Just so the threadstarter knows, AoA isn't based on set-ups or things of the nature.

Sure, it has them. But some of the best stuff in there is no-prep work. Invisible Palm, Re-Set, Sidewinder, Unshuffling Rebecca, Simple Switch, Instant Replay... heck man, the list goes on.

Also, Blackjack Challenge. I'm working on it right now, and it truly is a monster of a routine where the spec cuts to blackjacks as well as yourself but do so in an "incredible" fashion. Very slight set-up, if you set up "Be Honest" in front of the specs, you can do this in front of them too.

If you want some stuff to keep you busy and hit people hard, get the set.

It also has las Vegas Leaper, Cardician's Blendo, and some card/coin pruductions or matrix like things.

The AoA has a lot of other great effects too, wth apples, peices of cards, etc.

BUt, I recomend On the Loose even more. It is truely a mastepiece with lot of powerful information.
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
markhammagi
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of markhammagi
How about Harry Lorayne's "Close-Up Card Magic" ... it has a ton of terrific material, and most of the routines only require modest sleight of hand skills.
Andy
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Most tricks you mentioned, ACR, Here and There, Card to Wallet, Cannibal Cards, Biddle Trick, etc, are old tricks which have been polished through years.

I recommend you to learn 'Old Great Tricks'.

Hideo Kato
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Have a look at whatever DVD from M Ammar ETMCM, easy to intermediate triks, powerful effects in each volume
Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New great tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL