The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What type of illusion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Hi there,

I've been thinking more and more about this idea of offering three different types of magic shows, and I like the idea of having an illusion in the deluxe show.

However, my experience with illusions rivals that of a dead gorilla.

Can somebody give me some recommendations? Please keep the following in the mind however. I live in Australia, so unless somebody's made one over here double the price then add a hunk more. I drive a sedan car so space is an issue. If I had plans I could possibly get help making one, but not likely.

Now, is there anything that would suit a kids show and meet those requirements or have I managed to rule everything out?

Cheers,
Adam V
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
You might look into John Calvert's Spirit Cabinet. It's a complete polished routine. Look at http://hocus-pocus.com and search on the name. There is a video clip there as well. (I have no connection with Hocus Pocus, I just send them lots of money) Bob
magic@rushmore.com
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Well, that's a $500 illusion. Which would work out to over $1000 by the time it got here. I was kinda looking at something a little less rich.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
For kids shows, I think the spirit cabinet is not the best choice.

The flying carpet illusion (sometimes called the "Princess Flying Carpet") is one of the best small suspensions that you can put in a kids birthday party show, and you can charge extra for "levitating the birthday child." You can also sell that as a perfect moment for a snapshot.

The chair suspension (Harbin's original idea, now manufactured by several companies) is another excellent choice.

I have used walking through ropes -- played with three volunteers, two ropes, and a small wooden cabinet in which the person stands -- as a closing illusionette and gotten good responses with it.

Most folks today say that Disecto-type arm-choppers aren't appropriate for kids, but I think that they can be presented with a comic routine to kids of sufficient age and still be fun entertainment. It's certainly nowhere near as violent as any of the cartoons on television. And you can play the arm chopper routine as a big finale if you add some costuming and perhaps a couple of humorous props to the routine.

Also, see if you can find a copy of a book called "Victory Carton Illusions." There might be something in there that you (and your assistant, if you have one) could put together fairly inexpensively using cardboard or foamboard.

Have fun!

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Thanks Joe, I'll look into those.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
David Ginn used to use the stocks of Zanzibar
lock a boy in it and at the end in an instant the boy was free and David was locked in ! this has all the elements of a good routine for children. If you have Professional magic for children by david it is in there. (you could probably build it yourself) It breaks down real small too and is not heavy at all
Phillip
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
after consulting with a few magicians & magic shops the vast majority recommended
The chair suspension over the flying carpet.
The flying carpet has an angle problem while the chair suspension does not.
There are two versions of the chair suspension.One (improved version) permits you to remove the board the child is placed on & the other doesn't.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
The Jim Sommers/Klamm Magic model is the one I use. However, I have used the flying carpet illusion with success in situations where I have reasonable control over the environment. It is a prettier, more mystifying illusion if the angles can be managed. There is no visible point of support, so it is a full suspension.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
"after consulting with a few magicians & magic shops the vast majority recommended
The chair suspension over the flying carpet.
The flying carpet has an angle problem while the chair suspension does not."

Hi,
The main Draw back using a chair suspension in a Kids show is that often the child will not Like it! it is because they have to lie down it makes them feel uneasy smaller ones will cry.. you will also have to keep a good eye on the child suspended because often they want to see what's happening too and will sit up suddenly and this will cause the thing to tilt and fall. It is very dificult to stop a child that suddenly decides to sit up from doing so as if you stop them they see it as a game.
Phillip
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Wow, illusion for kids' shows . . . Does anyone go out and work with you Adam? If the answer is yes then why not get some of those easy padlocked handcuffs and pop yourself into an escape type bag (straightjacket etc.) Get your assistant to hold a screen (how about a bit of velvet on some dowelling) in front of you, - get the kids to count to (whatever you can manage it in!) - and they'll think it's great and it will pack away easily. Over the course of many years you will kick yourself for 'making a rod for your own back' if you take out too much stuff. We also use 3ft. cabaret marionettes on our shows and I sometimes envy those magicians who just have a couple of cases to carry (especially at Christmas). If you use a chair suspension - bet you'll only do it once! Incidentally, do you do balloon modelling? If not then this could be your 'deluxe'. Or why not cover a full party as a 'deluxe' with a teabreak after 45 mins. You could increase your fees by 50/60% for these. Cheers - Tony. Smile
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
I have been wanting to add the balloons thru the head illusion. Has anyone used this in a kids show and how did it play? There doesn't seem to be as many great smaller illusions for kids as there are for an older crowd. I too have used the suspended chair on two occassions and have never used it again due to what Phillip has stated above. Now if somebody out there could make a model that would hold up to a 225 lb adult, or teenager, I am sure it would be a hit.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
There is the Visable Sawing-in-Half by Chalet. Packs all in one case and includes the sabre saw. (Electricity required)

There is the Balloon Sword Box but that won't fit in the sedan.

Consider Illusionettes. These are small illusions, such as the head twister, 3D TV, Rabbit Wringer, etc. They play like an illusion.

I have the flying carpet, and won't do it unless I have a stage. I don't own a chair suspension. But my 3-in-1 does levitate a chair with a person on it but that is a stage illusion.
Dennis Michael
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
Dennis Ive heard of the visible sawing in half illusion by Chalet. Does anyone have any presentation suggestions for using such an illusion in a kid's show? Smile
Izzy
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
David Ginn had a routine, and I know I read of another where the (on cue) the girl screams and the boy runs off stage.

The routine is similar to the head chopper and the lines can be interchangable, with slight modifications.
Dennis Michael
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Although this topic has been re-opened by Snidini, I would still ask that any children's entertainer consider that having a DESIRE to present an illusion at parties may be at odds with the NECESSITY to do so. If we think back at all the unnecessary or unsuitable things we have paid good money for over 25 years (nearly all in the early years!) - it would amount to probably over £2000/3000. Some illusions can also be notoriously hard to sell on, let alone get anything like what you paid for them! Also of course, none of us need reminding that routines that adults will sit passively looking at - children will do ANYTHING to try and discover the 'secret' - so anything that cannot be safely viewed from three sides or worked in all eventualities is just pure hassle! Smile
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Aceparties
i have to disagree with you. I do flying carpet and it is a HUGE Hit at all my birthday parties. Now we all buy things during the year at conventions or off line that is not and illusion and we still don't use and ends up in our junk box.

Ken
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
As for the Flying Carpet being a "hassle", I believe it's worth the additional effort because of the HUGE reputation making image it can create. With all other marketing efforts remaining constant, my referral business increased by over 300% after introducing the FC into my b-day shows.

I admit it's tough to keep the kidos from trying to get a peek, but it DID force me to develop better audience management skills.

Just MY personal experience...it may or may not work for you.

Tim
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
I have never used the flying carpet but I looked at it at a convention. Are you using this in living rooms? If so how are you getting it in and out withought exposing it?
It seemed very heavey to me what does it weigh? And how much can the child weigh? Is there a web site so I can look at it again? I am thinking my corp events and festivals.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Meanings and responses do I believe get a little seasick and misunderstood whilst crossing the Atlantic! I think what I am referring to dear distant relatives, friends and allies, - is not making your work unnecessarily harder than it is 7 or 8 times a week, by presenting routines that in house party environments especially, can cause you a headache. Our personal 'big hit' has always been our custom built stage marionettes that can be hell to transport and have to be hidden behind a screen. The only thing being - they can be viewed from all sides (although 9 year old 'Daniel' may still try and attempt to pull a leg off one - as we are at our most vulnerable whilst working these). I personally do not recall ever having seen 'Flying Carpet' **let alone know the principle of it, so I cannot refer to it individually as a 'hassle'. (Have subsequently read the webpage on it and note it says in red letters 'cannot' be used surrounded. **I would say I also know the principle now!)
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Jewls, do a google search with the follwing search words --> "flying carpet" MAK

Be sure to include the quotation marks. There are several sites that should give you the info you need.

http://www.magictricks.com/stage/flycarpet.htm shows some pics and has a good price. I'm not endorsing the vender, as I know nothing about them.

I carry it into living rooms assembled, using the gimmick as the "handle". It is covered with a lightweight blanket to cover the entire illusion. I keep the blanket over it until ready to use. I've never had anyone catch me yet!

Tim
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What type of illusion? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL