The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Performance preparation » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Muddy
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Muddy
Hi Richard,

Thanks for being here and for all of your contributions. I have just a two questions that I will try to keep brief:

1) Do you, for the most part, have all your routines (order included) set beforehand for your performances or do you make substantial adjustments to what you perform (and how you perform) based on things your discover about the audience after the show starts?

2) Are there any "mainstream" psychology books that you have found particularly useful in your career as a performer? By "mainstream" I mean the types of books you might find in a college pscychology course as opposed to a magic shop.

Thanks again!
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Hi Muddy,

I have some parts of my routines "set", but I am always ready to change them to adapt to the circumstances. I also have about 4 or 5 other routines ready to go if I decide to "go in a different direction" during the show. Even the patter I use is written in "chunks" that I can use or not depending if something happens or someone says something funny. Sometimes some of the best "moments" are the result of a little side comment made by a spectator.

As far as "mainstream" books, I am going to sound corny, but "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Carnegie is one of my all time favorites. Although I did study psychology in college for 4 years, I don't have a single volume from back then that I have saved!

Thanks for all your kind words.

Richard
emesp82
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of emesp82
Richard, I didn't know you studied psychology for 4 years, have you got a degree?
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

That was not my major. Music was. I am far more adapt at playing paradiddles than discussing Freud!
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Right-Left-Right-Right, Left-Right-Left-Left!
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Another drummer! Outstanding! Even though I was a vocal music minor, one of my heroes was Joe Morello of the Dave Brubeck Quartet. His 2-volume set The Independence of Hand and Foot is a classic!

It made Swami work much easier, too! No joke!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Lee,

You know, I often think that if someone had to study the basic rudiments of any instrument, as a prelude to magic, they would not complain about sleights, nail writers, etc.!

Richard
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Richard wrote:
Quote:
You know, I often think that if someone had to study the basic rudiments of any instrument, as a prelude to magic, they would not complain about sleights, nail writers, etc.!

And maybe they'd be less likely to have business cards printed up proclaiming that they're professional entertainers six months after they got started.

I think you might have uncovered something that could help everyone...
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Performance preparation » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL