The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Oamd and odds » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Let me first say for those who have not read them, and coming from someone who has not seen the videos, that everything I have that Osterlind has written is useful, well written, and inspiring. I highly recommend any of the Making Magic Real essay downloads from his site. they are full of great insight and information useful for anyone doing any kind of magic performance.

I have decided to work both the osterlind design dupe system and memory demonstration effects into my routine after reading all of your essays. (just changed to using your center tear as well, was using the corinda one handed tear with something close to Lessley's presentation method) I just have a few questions about where you think they are the strongest. I also am curious as to what kind of cards you find to be best for ODDS. I am currently using laminated yellow 4x5 cards sprayed black on the back so as to discount the idea that I can see through them. I used light colored crayon that could not bee seen through the back for a while but did not like this enough. I want to also use the OAMD, my original thought was that it could be a great opener, it shows skill and lets you get to know your audience. I worry however that when using them both, by using the ODDS later I will have given them part of the solution by showing that I can memorize things. Only time will tell, but I am curious where you think these two fit well in a repretoir

I posted on another thread about ODDS, and am going to reiderate hear that I have found that people respond verry well to the idea that you respect their drawing. My background is in Art, so I draw well, but I keep it simple for this presentation, the better you draw the more distance you place between you and the participant. Allot of people were talking about using dry erase boards for this presentation. By using a drawing pad you can truly respect their work, and thus they feel respected. You also have somehting to give them which people love. Sometimes I keep them, (I have a small collection.) It is an extra way in the end to show that you respect and value what them as people and their thoughts.

Thanks again for all your great work, Stuart
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Stuart,

Thank you for those wonderful words. You said a lot, but what I most appreciate is your talking about RESPECTING YOUR AUDIENCE. I love how people on this board keep coming up with ways to say things in new ways.

The idea of letting them keep the drawings is just the kind of thing that will make your reputation. I have said it again and again, you want them to remember YOU - not just what you did!

Richard
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Ahoy, Stuart!

Richard has an alternate ODDS presentation on his blog (http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/blog/?cat=5) which avoids the cards altogether. I tried it today and it was terrifyingly simple and looked like real mindreading to my customer -- who noted (so I didn't have to) how very similar our drawings were. This might help you in your quest to avoid showing a memorizing skill. It's likely, though, that your audience will never consider that.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Thanks for the link mormonyoyoman, I like that, but I think you are correct that the audience will never consider it being a memorizing skill. I just havn't given this one enough work to know yet. I have ended up making the cards in white ink on black paper. It is my experiance that the first thing everyone wants to make sure of is that I can't see through the card. Thanks for the input Richard, and thanks for doing this forum. It is such a great thing to be able to directly contact someone who's work you have been studying,
all the best,

Stuart
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Richard said "you want them to remember YOU - not just what you did". I have been obsessed with this for a long time now and that's why my image is so important to me. I have bright white hair, blue tinted glasses, cowboy boots and I ead their mind...its very difficult for them to forget. If they've had Kennedy, they know they've had him.
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Kennedy,

I know! I still have nightmares after meeting you!

Richard

PS Just kidding!!!! Smile
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2005-07-13 05:12, Kennedy wrote:
I have bright white hair, blue tinted glasses, cowboy boots and I ead their mind...

Oh my word, I hope you didn't mean "I eat their mind"!

<g>

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Lol, nice, mormon,

Kennedy. Do you not worry that they will become at odds with you at times? I don't in any way mean to nock your style, but as someone doing mentalism or magic you destiguish yourself as someone who wants attention.
You are on stage first of all and it is quite commonly thought that the personality of magic performers is somewhere ruited on a need to be loved, or for attention. I have found when playing a part, when putting on a character I am more comfortable on one side, but less effective. People can see that there is something hiding behind the character. Especially if you are doing a talking act (which I assume because it is mentalism) So while they probably remember you, are they really remembering you? Or are they remembering the orange hair and white face and blue glasses. If you take all this off is it the same you? At some point the image helps, but can this not change and work against you as well?
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Stuart,

Having met Kennedy in England I can say that he is a very charming and likable individual. Although he has a unique look, it is entirely in keeping with his characer and does not come across as a put on.

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Oamd and odds » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL