The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Religion » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 00:55, Chessmann wrote:
Fred, just to clarify, there are many things that are to be taken literally in the Bible. There are also many expressions, figures of speech, that have to be taken as just that, but in the context of the point of the discussion. It takes a willingness to study and know the difference that, sadly, many people are not willing to do.

Chessman,

Of course you are absolutle right. The Bible is divided into 66 books consisting of history, laws, poetry, songs, prophecy, letters, etc. They are each to be approached according to what they represent. A literal interpretation is always the first choice, but some stories are also meant to impart instruction or example. The New Testament commands that we should live by "the spirit of the law". That is the one that seems to be overlooked quite often.

The problem is that many critics cannot even define or understand what the art of magic is in the first place and yet they seek to condemn it using biblical versus that pertain to false prophets and magicians (like Simon) from the past who used deceit to try to convince others they had true supernatural powers or were gods themselves. I really don't think that applies to most of us.

Since this is my "Guest of the Month" spot, I would prefer to move this discussion to some future segment of the "Good News" section of the Café rather than have it continue here.

Thanks,

Richard
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Mr. Osterlind, just one quick 'tidbit' here regarding Mentalism vs. Religion. I respect that you would like to move this topic, and get back to answering Mentalism questions, so please accept my apologies for adding another comment here.

I just wanted to add that I have been a Magician since 77; a Christian since 84, a Balloon Twister since 85, and now getting into Mentalism. Over the years, I have had a number of 'religious' people condemn me and tell me I'm going to hell, for being a magician, but I have never had any 'Christian' in all these years ever condemn me. I have spoken to many pastors, and performed in a number of Christian churches, never with any problems. The bottom line to ALL of this; God knows your heart, so who cares what 'man' thinks. I believe God gave me a 'gift' to entertain and until HE tells me to stop, I will continue using this gift. And yes, there is a BIG difference between Religion & Christianity, of which I won't elaborate on here.

Now back to practicing the Centre Tear, which is coming along nicely. Can't wait to use it in the Real world. I will be ordering some pads in the near future Mr. Osterlind.

RJ
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
On 2005-07-15 08:39, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Quote:
...That's the way it always goes. To spring a show on a pastor, or any group for that matter, if they don't know what you do and who you are, might lead to some reluctance. Richard

Thanks for the advice, I've done a 20 minute design dup/book test/card read at a church social a few months ago, and it was rather well recieved.

I guess what I'm looking for Richard is guidence on how to make the inital approach to a Church pastor in offering my services for fund raising etc.

As an aside, if anyone reading this has any suggestions perhaps you might contact me off list?

Thanks for your time Richard.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Mindguy,

If they have already seen you perform and know what you do, why not just be straight forward about it and ask?

If it is someone else who does not know what you do and you need to clarify it, I would suggest a face to face meeting where you demonstrait a few items and then explain what you whole show would be.

Richard
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Well,
Although I feel as if I might be qualified to comment on this suject, I will refrain.
I will, however, tell a true story.
I was serving in a two church parish in rural Virginia. At that time I was doing school assembly shows about twice a week to supplement my income. (Back in those days, $125 a pop really helped a poor, country preacher.)
I often did the Balducci for children, but never for adults. The stories from the children got wilder and wilder... "he floats", "he flies", ect.
I was well loved at one of the churches, but a lady in the other church would rather that I was gone.
She started telling people that I had "powers that came from the devil."
She approached a lady from the other church and asked her what she thought about my "demonic powers."
To which the lady replied, "To tell you the truth, I hope he turns all of you into a bunch of rabbits."
It happened over 25 years ago, but the thought can still bring a smile to my face.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
That's A GOOD ONE PARSON!! What a WONDERFUL story LOLOL...

CHET,
You are right it is a HUMAN tendency! But "christians" are not immune to it anymore than "atheists.".....If you don't believe that..come to eastern Kentucky!
LOL. No offense intended.

Mark

P.S. I don't think "atheists" claim to be intouch with a Non-Judgmental Son of a Supreme Creator.... Many "atheists" are extremely loving, ethical and yes, non judgemental...Just many 'christians' are the same! I have been extremely lucky to have known and called friends some of the best from both groups! I was only speaking of the culture of eastern Kentucky.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Religion » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL