The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Proper Attire & etiquette » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
977 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Mr. Osterlind, I worked with JS during the era of The Rattlesnake and I'm sorry that we never had the chance to meet.

I noticed that you wore an ear stud in your videos, but do you remove it when you perform a corporate gig? I'm asking because I always remove mine but perhaps that's a bit overboard ?

Do you ever accept an invitation to join the clients before or after the show?

What do you find to be the attendance of a typical corporate group and what size group is your preference?

Thanks for all that you have done for the art.

Sebastian Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Member P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Sebastian,

First, thank you so much for you kind compliment. It's not too late to meet sometime in the future!

About your questions. I decided to wear the ear stud for the L&L shoot, but no, I don't wear it at corporate shows. Also, my hair is usually a bit shorter than on the videos. I had a couple of weeks off and figured, what the heck! But, unfortunately as you probably already know, if you want to play in that league, you have to look the part.

I never join the clients before or after the show. You want to be as friendly and approachable as possible, but you have to keep a professional attitude at all times. If I'm asked to join them after the show, I politely refuse and say that I have to get some rest for the flight the next day. That is also why I never join the client for dinner. Nine times out of ten, I am staying at the same hotel I am working at. I do some close-up at the reception (I prefer to think of it as just getting to meet the folks), retreat back to my room during dinner and then come back for the show.

Speaking of that, I have found that I do much better if I eat about 3 or 4 hours before the show. I would rather feel a little "lean" while performing than bogged down with a heavy dinner. I usually just have a salad about four o'clock and that's it for the day.

Most corporate affairs are only about 100 to 150 strong. That is because they fly in everyone from around the country and that can be rather costly. I have worked for as small a group as 15 or so and as large as 2500. I would prefer a group between 100 and 200, but a lot depends on the seating (theater vs. banquet) and how the room is laid out. I have worked some rooms where 500 seemed intimate and other where 100 seemed gigantic!

I hope all that helps.

Richard
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
953 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I've performed for 10 to 15 people at the most, and that seemed like a lot for the kind of stuff I like to do. I couldn't imagine doing it for 2500. I have never even done a play with that many people in the theater.

Anabelle
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Anabelle,

At that point, you just look out and see lights. You are not really aware of the size of the group.
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Quote:
I never join the clients before or after the show. You want to be as friendly and approachable as possible, but you have to keep a professional attitude at all times. If I'm asked to join them after the show, I politely refuse and say that I have to get some rest for the flight the next day. That is also why I never join the client for dinner. I do some close-up at the reception (I prefer to think of it as just getting to meet the folks), retreat back to my room during dinner and then come back for the show.
That comes as a shock. I've been in those corporate meeting environments, as an audience member, and almost always see the "motivational speaker" or whomever mingling about afterwards, so I'd assumed you did the same. I can see the logic of it, professional detachment, not wanting to be asked a million "how" questions, and the risks of needing to be "on." But that must be draining...

Would you consider that a personal preference, or a professional obligation?
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Brian,

Perhaps I misled you. I do mingle with the group after the show and stay for awhile answering questions. That is the best time to spread around cards and drum up future business. That is also the reason I do an hour of walking around during the reception getting to know everyone.

What I was referring to is, "Hey, let's go down to the bar for a nightcap." Stuff like that. You must keep a professional distance.

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Proper Attire & etiquette » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL