We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Dunninger, Osterlind, and Banachek » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2443 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Hm. This may be more commentary than interview. Let's see if this prompts discussion or if I should get it moved to the Penny/Thoughts section.

Richard, I love listening to Dunninger radio programs. And though I can't help but make the inevitable comparisons, I wonder how much of an influence his work -- and this includes his background work, not just his stage presentation -- may have been for you.

The inevitable comparisons run something like this (and I include Banachek for several reasons which will become clear):

Dunninger did everything bigger than life. He was very close to overacting, and he firmly believed - at least while he was on stage - that he could do what he claimed he was doing. He wasn't afraid to be wrong, and would risk what seemed like incredibly long chances. He demonstrated a strong knowledge of, and great respect for, what we'd now call "the classics." And he remains a bit stand-offish with his audience, as someone who - though not condescending - is above or apart from "normal" humanity. Now I've never seen Dunninger's act, so there may be quite a bit that I've missed.

It's tempting to "lump" Banachek and Osterlind together. They each have DVDs and books which would seem to be "the last word(s)" in the field of mentalism -- you'd think there would be a lot of overlap. They're contemporary, and we've had opportunity to observe them -- but in a different environment than their usual venues.

So my observations may be wide of the mark; after all, their DVDs record them as teachers. That had to influence their performances. (When one is establishing the basics of how to do something, one doesn't purposely take large risks.)

Banachek is a fireball of energy, his patter comes at a machine-gun pace. Though he claims to use his five senses to simulate the existence of a sixth, his performance indicates that large amounts of energy are being manipulated. He connects with his audience in an entirely different way that Osterlind or Dunninger, but he *does* connect. Though he has high regard for the classics, much of his material was discovered independently...which makes for unique spins on some classics.

Osterlind comes across as the guy next door, who is in no particular hurry. When he does speed up or become excited (as in the Abnormal Lift) it's actually shocking! Someone in these forums (I forgot who) described him as a psychic Columbo. He was strongly complimented by that description, which tells us what he's striving for in his personal presentation. Yet this same "psychic Columbo" is always neat and professionally attired to the hilt. He actually loves the classics - really loves 'em.

It would be fascinating to see these gentlemen live sometime. It would be incredible to see them in a head-to-head show! (Heh! World Wide Mentalism Federation matches on Pay-per-view.) For myself, it's awe-inspiring to see the wide ranges in what would seem to be a limited type of performance.

And as a student, it's profitable for us to study each of these gents. Goodness knows, we don't want to copy them. I'm not even sure it's possible, as each of them is a once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2443 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Ouch! Forgot one salient point. Like Dunninger, Richard Osterlind really believes he's doing what he's doing when he's doing it. This has been another plug for *Making Magic Real*, an essential text for anyone who wants to gain an extra few years of experience by "merely" studying a book.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Hey, I'm all for it! A psychic match with no holds barred! Well, Dunninger is not here, so, according to you, it's me and Banachek! Come on, Banny - What do you say? Put up your dukes!!! Smile
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
735 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-07-15 13:30, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Hey, I'm all for it! A psychic match with no holds barred! Well, Dunninger is not here, so, according to you, it's me and Banachek! Come on, Banny - What do you say? Put up your dukes!!! Smile

Pick your weapons men! Forks, Spikes . . or stainless steel blindfolds?
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1146 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Richard, I would have to kill you with love as you know how I feel about you Smile

So I guess I would win by embarrassing with the praise you deserve and bringing you to your knees that way.

Guess it would be mentalism since it would be psychological Smile
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Banachek,

Nothing could have made me happier at the end of my week here as guest, than to have you jump in and say that!

Thank you, my friend, for so much over the years!

My best blessing for everyone reading this is that I only wish you can find as good a friend to you as Banachek has been to me! Smile

Richard

PS I can't wait to see the work you did with Criss!
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2443 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Banachek & Richard: It has been such a great example to see a couple of "competitors" such as you two be - not just professional, but absolutely complementary to each other. Would that more people in the same field be so friendly!

(I originally typed "Banachek & Osterlind" but, knowing how things get acronymed around here, thought better of it.)

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3590 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Okay, you guys, let that be an example to you all of how to real professionals behave - with mutual respect for each other!

Man is THAT a breath of fresh air!

All kidding aside (and I really wasn't in the above comments), is there any possibility of the two of you putting together something like a panel discussion video on the real work on mentalism - the backstage considerations of the business - handling bad room layouts, agents who simply refuse to listen, and the like, as well as some comments on the development of performance style and persona?

To me, someone who actually works in the biz for his primary income, this kind of product would be worth its weight in platinum, because, to me, it's the little things, the nuances if you will, that differentiate the real pro from the weekend warriors and the wannabes.

Pacing, volunteer handling, attention direction, and even simple things like knowing when to take a moment to step back and take a deep breath before you break the agent's front teeth with the chair they don't have for you (that was stated as a requirement in your contract) are worth more than a new way to top a deck as far as I'm concerned.

Any possibility of you, Maestro Osterlind, or you in conjunction with Maestro Banachek doing something like this in the future?

if so, I'd like to be the first in line for it!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » Dunninger, Osterlind, and Banachek » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL