The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » A BCS question.... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

spiritx2005
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of spiritx2005
Dear Mr. Osterlind,

I am only a few months into my study of magic/mentalism and I recently ordered the 20th anniversary edition of the BCS and to my delight it arrived this morning.

First let me say that upon first sitting down with my favourite steaming beverage and said publication at around 10am I was pretty stunned to find myself using the system perfectly comfortably before my mug had even cooled. I've always enjoyed the beauty of well conceived mathmatical principles and the sheer elegance of the BCS has left me quietly smiling to myself all day. You can imagine my smile when I logged onto the Café only to find that you are actually here in person for a few days. So please forgive me a little chance to say thank you for helping me to confuse every living mammal I have encountered for the last 15 hours. Tomorrow will be fun!

I do have a genuine question though. While I was reading the history of the system and some of the anecdotal tales I found myself wondering whether or not you still actually use it yourself? What I mean by that is that I'm sure you still perform effects that employ the BCS but do you still actually have to think of the numbers? After 20 years of using it is the order of the stack not simply engrained into your conscious, or do you still actually use the system itself?

Many thanks and best wishes,

Alistair.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will
be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein ...
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Alistair,

Oh yes, I use the system all the time. Do I just know it by heart? Well, yes and no. I can say it by heart, but I can still "think" it just like the instructions. On the mind mysteries video I demonstrated the system and knew that some people would think I just had it all down by rote. So I started calling off the cards while going through the calculations out loud! I was hard to talk as fast as I was thinking, but I believe I got the point across as to how fast you can calculate.

And thank you so much for learning the system so quickly and destroying every human being you have had contact with since!

Richard
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Hello Mr. Osterlind: I don't know if you will see this or not, as your Guest Appearance, I believe, ends today.

However, if you do see this, I just wanted to say I also ABSOLUTELY LOVE this BCS. I hadn't practiced it for a few months, due to preparations for getting moved, and when I took out a deck tonight, to try and set it up, I had kinda forgotten a bit. So, I put on Mind Mysteries, and within minutes, I was rocking again.

It is such an amazing system; just the simplicity of it, and the 'random' look of the deck. I'm not NEAR as smooth as Alistair yet, but I'm going over and over it this evening. I've been having a very difficult time deciding what to practice first, as there is SO MUCH I want to learn.

Also wanted to ask you Mr. Osterling, how in the world do you get 'lead' into the Swami, when it needs replacing. I was trying to put some new lead in mine earlier tonight, and the lead kept breaking. Any tips on this? I was kind of hoping you would have covered that on ETMMM, but guess you assumed anyone who had one, knew how to 'reload'. Unfortunately, I don't, yet.

Kind Regards

R J

P.S. - I will also send this note by PM, in case you don't see it here.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

RJ.

As I told you in a PM the way I handle it is this.

Use a pin to push out the old lead. Then use a nail or something with a bit of a taper to it to open up the hole for the lead. Slide in the new lead and squeeze it shut with a pair of small pliers. I use a leatherman tool which works perfectly.

Hope that answers it.

Richard
B&B Magic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of B&B Magic
One more quick Swami question, if you don't mind.

I have always steered away from them because they never seem to fit properly on my thumb. Do you 'fit' yours (ala the stainless steel blindfold) or are you sufficiently gifted that the darn thing just pops right on? Smile
Finally, any advice for getting it on your thumb while in the pocket?
Thanks!
Brandon
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Brandon,

I wish they did. No, I have to adjust and play with them a lot. The Dahal ones are great and you get 4 in a package. (I think 4!) But often they can be a bit bent or not the same, etc. So after I load the lead into them (by the way, I use the end of a pencil cut off) I work with them until I get them to fit. Sometimes that is aa rather long process!

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2005 entrée: Richard Osterlind » » A BCS question.... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL