The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Let the Buyer Beware (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Remember sending away for something from a comic book ad and being disappointed when it arrived? Prepare to experience the same feeling. The ads below feature vastly overpriced common items. Can you figure out what they are?

1. THE BIG BANG! Scientists think our Universe may have started with a single burst of light and energy! Now with MINIATURE COMBUSTIBLES (TM) you STAND WITNESS at the BEGINNING OF TIME! Easy to use - no goggles required. Pack of 20, just $1.59.

2. ART LOVERS, REJOICE! Thousands of reproductions of this world-famous pocket-size wire sculpture have already been sold. Is it the graceful, curving lines? Or the much-heralded viselike grip it has become known for? You decide! Order now before they're all gone! Only $3.00, 2 for $6.50!

3. THE WONDERS OF ENGRAVING! It's like having miniature U.S. history in your pocket! Miniature portraits of America's best-loved presidents, Washington sites, and more. Richly detailed copper and silver engravings. Set of four, just $3.50.

4. MOVIE SETTING SOUVENIRS They said we couldn't do it, but we are! For a limited time, our LEADING HOLLYWOOD PROP HOUSE is dividing up and selling - yes, SELLING - parcels of this famous movie setting. You've seen it featured in Lawrence of Arabia, Beach Blanket Bingo, and Ishtar! Our warehouse must be cleared! Own a vial of movie history - a great conversation piece! Only $4.50.

5. YEARS OF BACKYARD FUN! Make your own jungle gym! This sturdy, all-weather structure for the yard provides hundreds of years of enjoyment! Just add water - then stand back! Has natural oak finish. Just $2.50.

6. DEFY GRAVITY As you command water - or any liquid - to flow upwards! Could you be tampering with the secrets of the Earth? Your friends will be amazed! Just $1.99.

7. RANDOM DIGIT GENERATOR Today's multimillion-dollar computers need special programs to generate random numbers. But this GEOMETRICALLY DESIGNED device ingeniously bypasses computer technology to provide random numbers quickly and easily! Exciting? You bet! Batteries not required. Only $3.00.

8. crystals! Crystals! CRYSTALS! Miniature, sparkling white crystals harvested in exotic Hawaii make perfect specimens for studying the wonders of science! Each educationally decorated packet contains hundreds of refined crystals. Completely safe and non-toxic! Only $2.95.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
1. Firecrackers ???
2. Paper Clips
3. Pocket Change
4. Sand
5. Acorn
6. Soda Straw
7. Die (or Dice)
8. Sugar ??
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I believe #1 is matches and #5 are probably seeds to a future tree... all the rest Rob mention sound right to me.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Yep - Greg, you got #1, and Rob, you got all the rest (although technically #8 would be a sugar packet, not just just sugar, but still...)
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
This is true,

An ad appears in a newspaper.

Insect killing machine.

Kills fleas termites or ANYTHING that crawls and a common household pest.

Carry in your pocket and it comes with a LIFETIME Guarantee.

I can't remember what the price was but it was expensive and many people fell for it. I won't say when and where.

What is it??

P.S. I'm sure those x ray glasses go on top of the list??
flobiwan
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of flobiwan
A flyswatter?
leonard
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
148 Posts

Profile of leonard
Two small blocks of wood?
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Flyswatter

No, you can't kill very small insects with it.

Blocks of wood.

Something similar in that line but you're not close enough.

P.S. It's even cheaper than a flyswatter!!
Heinz Weber
View Profile
New user
Austria
83 Posts

Profile of Heinz Weber
Old newspaper?
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
NO

It's not as simple as swatting.

Long ago I even had the original instructions. Misplaced them somewhere but I still remember the contents somewhat.

Also came with a spare part (clue).

:kewl:
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
Is it "your hand"?
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Heres what it is……..

So you placed an order for this special “insect killer”

You’re looking forward to see this thing and also want to get rid of those pests from your house.

You just received it and WHAT, just a small envelope??

Knowing nothing you open the envelope and what the "#*%<#~ @#

There are couple of office pins inside the envelope.

Office pins you ask???

After you’ve got your breath back and sat down in your sofa, you read the provided instructions.

Congratulations,

You’ve just received the special space age insect killers. First hold object A in your left hand (1st pin) and object B in your right hand (2nd pin).

Then look around for those common house insects and pests. The ones that can't fly are best to catch. As you see one, quickly grab it with object A. get a good grip on it so it's totally trapped and cant get away. You will notice that your right hand is free to use object B. give a sharp hit to the
Insect until you’ve killed it. More hits and trials are recommended.

After you are through with above hold the insect with object A and B, and dispose the pest in your garbage can.

We have provided object C as a spare part of your insect killer (3rd pin).

And that is the secret of the great insect killer.

:kewl:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Let the Buyer Beware (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL