The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » USDA Rabbit License? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Is anyone else aware of or familiar with a USDA requirement for mammals used in professional performances or exhibits within the United States to be licensed? Apparently, If you use a rabbit or other mammal, you must request a $10.00 USDA licensing packet by calling 970-404-7467. Complete and return the application and the USDA will schedule an inspection of your animal care facilities followed by issuance of a $30.00 annual license. Failure to obtain a license can result in a fine of $3,700 per violation. The license will cover up to four animals.

This information was originally posted on the IBM Online Ring 2100...I'm simply curious as to whether anyone else is familiar with it. Thanks.

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Skip,

I traveled to the web site and found it rather confusing. If you have an animal compound a la Sigfried and Roy, a license is required.

A magician with four tigers has a larger legal issue than one with four rabbits.
There are exemptions for small animals, which is what I find hazy.

Probably best to cal the number and describe what you have and what you do.

I had someone telling me I had to purchase a license for my canoe. Inspection found that it was exempt, though the state would have sold me a license if I hadn't asked.

PS... I think the little guy looking over your shoulder is safe from the Feds...

:magicrabbit:

David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I contacted the USDA and the licensing requirement only applies to pet shops, dealers, brokers etc, not the individual performer. This is also stated on their web site http://www.USDA.gov.
Where the magic begins
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Thank you, David and Dave. Knew I'd asked the right spot. The website was equally confusing for me (No surprise there...it is our Government at work, after all). I thought this was a bit on the bureaucratic side and paranoic...even for our government...but in issues of protecting the public, especially children, from the issues of animal-born illnesses, most of us should prefer to err on the side of caution.

As for the guy on the shoulder...Maxwell thinks he's human...and as close to a live animal as I hope to get in my shows.

Thanks!
:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Joe Keppel
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Joe Keppel
This isn't going away. The USDA contacted a member of ring 32 in Allentown, PA last week and told him he must register his rabbit. Joe Keppel
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
And Playboy Bunnies?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I wouldn't put it past the feds.
But I believe Dave is right.
Daniel Faith
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I'm pretty sure I was right back in July when I posted however, taking a new look at the web site, there is now a paragraph regarding performers. It still isn't written very clear but then we're dealing with the government. I have a few queries out and will update this as soon as I hear back. There's an awful lot of kids out there that might have to redesign their acts.
Where the magic begins
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
I wouldn't worry to terribly about obtaining a USDA license for rabbits (or doves for that matter) that are used in a show...

The USDA is notoriously short-handed and, last I checked, under a hiring freeze...Which means the chances of having an Inspector happen to attend a random show and demand for the perform to produce a permit/license is slim to none.

On a personal opinion note, I find this ridiculous that the Gov. would require a license for a performer to use a rabbit in the first place...This is a blatant misuse of Gov. function...In other words, just another way they are trying to bilk us of money.

Do pet stores require you to obtain a license before BUYING a rabbit??? No! So why must performers have one?

Makes me sick.

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Prof. Piper, I believe you are correct about random USDA visits. Chances of an inspector showing up at your next birthday party are slim, however large public performances like fund raisers etc, are a possibility.

The regulation provides exceptions for certain types of animal related activities like pet shops and btw, doves are except. I believe this is another instance of a good idea taken to the extreme. The USDA is looking out for the welfare of the animal as far as proper housing, cleanliness, hygiene, feeding and treatment which is a good thing but they've carried it down to the lowest level, the individual owner of one animal as a pet.

I don't know if it's a money thing or just another governmental runaway train but it's clearly out of control. With all the things in the world that need attention, their concern is about Fluffy coming out of a box at a party. Go figure.
Where the magic begins
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
You have a point about a large Charity function, however, it would still be beating the odds (like the Irish lottery)...

I use to work at a USDA inspected slaughter house (meat processing)....In my area there are only 2 roving inspectors that have to cover a 300 sq. mile area...

An area rife with exotic animals and animal acts.

I support, wholeheartedly, the ethical treatment of animals...I support the ASPCA and no-kill shelters...

I do not support the government attempting to fleece us in any way they possibly can...Requiring an annual license for a rabbit act is, in my opinion, just that...There is no way they could actually get around to inspecting all those that apply for a permit for small mammals....

They just want the cash.

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
That rabbit isn't "used" in my performance. He's my pet. I just bring him along because he likes to watch magic tricks. ;-)
Regards,
Eric
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
According to the current verbage of the regulation, if you allow the rabbit to be seen by your audience, you are considered to be an exhibitor and therefore would require the license. That's how silly this regulation is.

I'm in agreement with Prof. Piper. I'm all for humane treatment of animals and do my best to make them part of the family. This regulation, while good in it's initial intent, has gone by the wayside and is a revenue producing action.
Where the magic begins
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If the exhibitor interpretation sticks, every 4-H kid in the USA will have to get a permit to show their rabbit at a fair.

If they believe that, maybe we could get all the 4-H people and alumni to help lobby to change the law.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
I live in Louisville and actually had the health department come to my house to inspect my dove facilities. Apparently doves are considered poultry in my county. Luckily I keep my doves in a coop and not cages, as metro law requires poultry to be kept in facilities with a wooden or concrete floor.

I used to perform at the Kentucky State Fair and can tell you that the exhibitors there are required to have their animals licensed (horses, cows, rabbits, birds, etc.) However, in those instances you are dealing with professional breeders and not just the kid down the street that wants to put his pet in a pet contest.

They also seem to have issues every year as the amusement company that sets up the midway also around the games. One of the games they always bring in is the "fish bowl toss." Toss a ping pong ball into a fishbowl and you win a goldfish in a plastic bag. State law prohibits giving away animals as prizes (Although Blackstone did it when he performed here with the rabbit give-away) and two years in a row they were fined and the game shut down. Last year, they altered the game. If you won, you were given a voucher that entitled you to visit another booth and claim your fish as a prize. They were still fined and shut down again.

If you perform on cruise-ships or travel overseas, there is a plethora of paperwork and vaccinations you have to go through. But if you just perform the occasional show, what are the chances that a USDA official is going to show up and ask for your rabbit license?

Cris
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I received some correspondence yesterday from the USDA, APHIS division. Apparently the licensing requirements are different from state to state. The only way to know for sure what applies is to contact an APHIS representative for your state. They are all veterinarians according to the list. Here's the link to find your states APHIS contact for more information.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/area_offices.htm
Where the magic begins
Joe Keppel
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Joe Keppel
The USDA is Coming tomorrow, Sept 23, to inspect my fellow magicians rabbits' living conditions. According to the Agent, One license will cover up to 4 animals. She told him this is definitely a federal issue and not a state issue. She also told him that due to a lawsuit against the US government, It is most probable that doves are next. Joe Keppel

PS. Professor Piper, don't be so sure to tell other people not to worry. The agent said that you are subject to a 3000 fine per DAY if you continue to use you rabbit after you have been notified that you must be inspected.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Great. I wonder if they have ties to PETA. Why does the darn government got to stick their nose in everything. Don't be surprised if they start inspecting your dogs and cats and make sure you change the water in your goldfish bowl.

Another fine reason, thanks to the government, not to use livestock. How much more are the idiots could to take away from the kids?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Joe, again according to my sources at APHIS, the individual regulation depends on the state which is driven by the federal government. I believe that is what the inspector you are speaking of meant.
Where the magic begins
Joe Keppel
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Joe Keppel
Dear Dave , don't see how this can be driven by the individual state. The inspector came to Toms house this morning. Tom lives in Pennsylvania, the inspector was affiliated with the Raleigh, North Carolina Office. According to the inspector there are two offices that are overseeing this. Raleigh for the east coast and Fort Collins, Colorado for the west coast. Tom has to provide her with a list of where he will be performing in case they want to do surprise inspections. She said they would not show up at home birthday parties but possible such things as public libraries and the like Joe Keppel Joe Keppel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » USDA Rabbit License? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL