The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A career to fall back on!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
I am finished school next year and I want to go into magic full-time as a professional career. I have been talking to a few magicians about this and they said go for it, but they all said I should have something to fall back on in case it doesn't work out. I would like to do something related to magic, for example: Psychology or Hypnosis. That way if magic doesn't work out for me I can go into one of these as a career. I intend on studying and working very hard to be a professional magician, so if I do one of these degree's I can also corporate them into my magic.

I would like anyone's thoughts on a course that a magician would benefit from. Like what would be best, psychology or would something else be better for what I described?

Mike
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
Psychology would be great. There are many courses out there that could come in handy with a magical career. I know a clown who is also a machinist. He makes his own gimmicked coins. He makes some of the best darn hook/spiked coins I have ever seen! you just have to barely brush them against your clothes and they stick!
Chemistry could work out well for those who do lots of chemical magic. It all depends on what your interests are and what you want to do and are doing in magic.
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26480 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Couldn't hurt to have accounting, communications, marketing skills
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
192 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
A word of caution...

Going to school to help out your magic career is awesome indeed...going to school to have something to fall back on is really dangerous...

It creates an intrinsic mindset that if you fail then it's no biggie...you can always do such and such...

The truth is that you can be a professional and you can make it work out...it's just not easy...times get tough and the money gets thin...if you can ride out the storm and pay the dues and most importantly learn from your mistakes...

That being said, business and marketing course will be invaluable. There are many magicians out there that have the skills, personality, and ability to entertain, but just don't know how to let the world know they're available for their event.

Heres' another word to the wise:

Most colleges will have a brief bio of the professors that teach the courses in the course catalog or handbook. Choose professors that have ran businesses or have been part of a marketing firm. Schools are polluted with teachers that learn solely from books and run businesses only in their nightmares. Book learning is good, but learning from a professor's own experience in the school of hard knocks is the best.
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
192 Posts

Profile of diamond
Some further education in stage or TV production will be very hepful to you in many ways as a magician (supposing you want to do stage magic), and on the other hand side can be a good backup which can also bring you work as a magician in some cases. I know many magicians (even big names and full time pros) who besides their careers in magic make production shows, work as cruise directors for various cruise lines, make promotional videos for other performing artists, work as special effects and illusion consultants.

If you plan doing big illusions, some extra education in engineering, architecture, set and costume design won't hurt either.

Many stage (and even close up) magicians went to schools for actors, either as a backup possibility or to help them in their performance. Education in dance, stage movement and mime is also essential for every magician.

It is also right what the other magicians said about business, management and marketing courses, they will help you a lot. Unfortunately, I never took any of these... When I was young I was also on the crossroads like you, and had the same wish. At that time, I understood magic more as Art (I believe so today), and my education went more towards theatre and dance. I don't regret it, I just wish I took some courses in business, marketing and management, so that I could rely more on myself and less on agents.

I hope this helps...

At the end, here's a couple of famous names in magic that did or still do have other jobs besides magic. From this example you will see that it won't actually drag you away from magic, even if you have another job besides it.

* Tommy Wonder is an actor by education and he worked as an actor in Holland.
* Fred Kaps was a policeman (full time besides magic)
* David Roth is a violinist
* Tina Lennart is a harpist
* Juan Tamariz is a famous movie director

These are just a couple of the famous Masters of the Art that had or have side jobs, that I could remember of at this moment. The list is much longer...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26480 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-07-21 13:18, diamond wrote:...* David Roth is a violinist...

There is a well known violinist of that name, though from his picture, not our coinman from NYC.

Where did you find out David plays an instrument?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=27

Also, I lifted this from another thread

Dai Vernon – Silhouette Artist
Larry Jennings – Plumber
Ed Marlo – Machinist
Gary Plants – Middle School Teacher
Steve Freeman – Accountant
Andrew Wimhurst – Government Contractor / Musician
Michael Weber – Lawyer
Earl Nelson – Luggage Salesman
Simon Aronson – Lawyer
Jason England – Air Force
Martin Nash – Lumberjack
Bro John Hamman – Brother
David Regal – Television Writer
Dean Dill - Barber
Lennert Green - Doctor
Jim Swain - Advertising
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
735 Posts

Profile of scott b.
I was shocked when hearing that Larry Jennings was a plumber! And Martin Nash wa a lumberjack! Who would have thought!
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Joggins
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
62 Posts

Profile of Joggins
Where did you hear Martin Nash was a lumberjack?
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Scott I think the word should be "suprised" not "shocked", IUnless there is somthing undesireable about being a plumber or lumberjack.

Howard
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
192 Posts

Profile of diamond
Quote:
On 2005-07-21 14:31, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

There is a well known violinist of that name, though from his picture, not our coinman from NYC.

A magician who is an acquaintance of mine, is friends with David Roth.
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
192 Posts

Profile of diamond
Quote:
On 2005-07-21 14:31, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Another thing... David is very common Jewish name, and Roth is a very common Jewish last name. There are lot of violin players who are jewish, so the one that you saw, who is fairly famous is indeed not our David Roth, but there are so many Davids with roth as a last name in this world, and I'm sure that more than 2 of them are violin players.
ivan7
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of ivan7
The bio blurb from expert coin magic states that David is a musician.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1683 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I was going to suggest plumber so I will.

It is a basic trade (easy too learn) and also in high demand in britan. The rates of pay (on qualification) are good to very good. If you become self employed then you can work as and when you feel like it (or afford it).

It is a job that will always be in demand so will be there for you if times get hard on the performance circut.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3501 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
A business degree is useful.

So is a degree in mathematics.

My daytime occupation is a risk management consultant: I make my clients' risks disappear! (It's true: check the cartoon on my website, below.)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3501 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 02:23, Partizan wrote:
I was going to suggest plumber so I will.

A neurosurgeon has a clogged sink. He tries everything but still the water won't drain. reluctantly, he phones a plumber.

The plumber arrives, works for about ten minutes, and the clog is gone: the sink is draining beautifully. The plumber then presents the neurosurgeon with a bill for $500.

"Five hundred dollars! For ten minutes' work!? I don't make that kind of money, and I'm a neurosurgeon!"

"I know," replies the plumber, "I didn't make that kind of money when I was a neurosurgeon."

;)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24136 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Get some training in business. Don't expect any of your professors to have any training in the field, other than theoretical things. But basic business skills will help you with any profession.

Plumbing is a good second line of work.

If you live in my part of the country, learn air conditioner repair and installation.

A Priest calls a plumber in the middle of the night and says "My sink is overflowing, please come help me!"

The plumber rushes over and looks under the sink, shakes his head, and says, "Father, you should be ashamed of yourself."

"Why?"

"How would you feel if you came to my house, looked under the sink and found a bottle of 'Liquid Priest?' "
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
For some reason that reminds me of an allegory my dad used to tell me about a factory owner who produced widgets.

One day something went wrong with the machine and every third widget was defective. He calls up a repairman who comes out scrutinizes the machine for about 5 minutes and then gives one screw a quarter-turn. Instantly the machine is working perfectly again. He walks up to the factory owner and tells him that'll be $1000.

"$1000?!" demands the factory owner, "All you did was turn one screw. I demand to see an itemized bill."

The next day he gets a bill in the mail that reads:

Turning 1 screw: $1.00
Knowing which screw to turn: $999.00
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1683 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Sweet! Smile
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2581 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-07-21 21:18, scott b. wrote:
I was shocked when hearing that Larry Jennings was a plumber! And Martin Nash wa a lumberjack! Who would have thought!

I read in an article in Genii that Jennings' hands were heavily callused and scarred. While I didn't know he was a plumber, it's not surprising.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A career to fall back on!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL