The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Where is Jeff Busby? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
He was selling magic on Ebay just a few years ago. Haven't heard anything about him since.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
25932 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Has he moved? His address was listed.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6784 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I know his owns the "rights" to the Paul Fox name that he has prevented guys from advertsing things on ebay even comparing them to Paul Fox by name. Ridiculous.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1285 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I don't think so. You might want to a search on the Genii Forum to find out more.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
David Charvet
View Profile
Elite user
www.charvetmagic.com
500 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Jeff Busby is alive and well in Wallace, Idaho. He has a magic store there.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
12121 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Jeff always did put out some top notch, QUALITY stuff....compared to a lot of the junk that is offered nowadays.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
Manteca, California
1884 Posts

Profile of Rennie
The one thing Jeff Busby needs is a personality transplant..
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
12121 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Meaning?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4687 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I don't know Jeff personally and I have never met the man or had any business dealings with him but I will say that I absolutely miss his presence in the magic community. His contributions to the art are legendary. I hope that some day (sooner rather than later) he will re-emerge and begin publishing/producing material again.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1427 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Jeff Busby Magic Incorporated
506 Sixth St
Wallace, ID 83873-2249

208-556-1191

took about 2 seconds on google
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
3525 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The most hated man in magic... why?
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18146 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jeff collected a lot of money for the Braue Notebooks promising a specific number of issues and NEVER DELIVERED. He also has had a falling out with almost all his suppliers. He falsely claimed ownership of the Paul Fox material (he never really owned it having made a partial payment for some of the material from someone that really didn't own the rights either.

He won't answer calls and has really harmed his early great reputation.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
23941 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jeff was one of the most creative and imaginative minds in magic. However, he had a huge problem with failure to deliver material. Pete has given some of the information about the Braue notebooks. There was other material as well.

The Paul Fox situation was horrible. Jeff actually owned the PF trademark for a while. However, it is very questionable whether Danny Dew had the right to transfer the ownership of the Paul Fox props and the right to produce them to Jeff. Jeff made a partial payment for the Paul Fox material, with big aspirations to produce it. He made some cups, the Paul Fox miracle gimmick (two sizes! as if that were necessary!), but it took him forever to deliver. This could have been forgiven. However, he started violating the law by convincing eBay that only he had the right to sell ALL Paul Fox material, whether he had produced it or not, and that he could restrict the sale of used Paul Fox material.

Jeff had been a Vero seller. He made the mistake of trying to intimidate the wrong seller, and he got thrown off eBay for it.

He lost any respect I might have had for him one afternoon when Craige Snader was visiting me. Craige had just published the second Punx book, and we had been out looking for some computer equipment. I came into the house, and there was a message on my phone.

"Hello Bill, this is Jeff Busby, and I was, like, wondering if you might, like, consider changing publishers, because, I'm, like, having a really hard time, like, getting the books from him. Why don't you, like, let me publish your books?" Craige heard this. Actually, it couldn't be done. I had signed a contract with Craige, and so had Punx. So it was a done deal.

So I called him back. I got his machine. I left this message. "Like, Jeff. Like this is Bill Palmer, and, like, I can't, like consider, like letting you, like publish my books, until you, like, deliver those Braue notebooks you owe everyone."

About a half hour later, I got a call, "Like that was an insulting call, man."

"Jeff. Nothing gets past you, does it?"

Quote:
On 2006-05-16 20:12, daffydoug wrote:
Jeff always did put out some top notch, QUALITY stuff....compared to a lot of the junk that is offered nowadays.

I have a set of Jeff's CNC machined "Paul Fox" cups. They are nowhere nearly as nice as the Van Dokkum stainless cups. And they cost as much back then as Auke's do now. It took almost two years to get a set of cups from Jeff. It takes MAXIMUM two months with Auke, if that long.

Posted: Jul 4, 2006 3:32pm
I might add that some have suggested that Jeff should move to a much warmer climate on a permanent basis.
"The Swatter"
Founder of CODBAMMC
My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."
www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Bill, it couldn't be worse there than it is in Idaho. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18146 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Doggone it Palmer, there you go again, winning the BEST MESSAGE of the Month award.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2711 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Didn't Jeff Busby also try to stop John Booth from publishing a book on Erdnase? I believe this was back in the early to mid 80's. I was on his mailing list at the time and remember getting these long letters saying what an unethical person John Booth was.

Ron Reid
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
23941 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want to really understand the breadth and depth of Jeff Busby's contributions to magic and his depth of knowledge, get a copy of The Secrets of the Palmettos.

After you read it, you will understand how much trouble he would go to in order to research something and how much knowledge and skill he had. But as you read it, you will understand the rest of Jeff.

You don't need the Palmettos to do the material in the book. You can do it with Bees, as well. It just takes a little more work. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since you will probably have trouble finding the Palmettos in the first place.

Posted: Aug 14, 2006 12:46am
Well, Jeff has surfaced again, if only to spout venom on eBay. One of our posters here has listed a set of Paul Fox cups. If the information he has is correct, they were probably made in the late 1970's, before Jeff started "making" the Paul Fox cups.

Now, before I go any further, I'll point out that Danny Dew did not spin the Paul Fox cups. These were done by three different companies that I have been able to track down. Most of them were spun by Perigee. Rings and Things also spun several sets.

In 1981, Perigee spun 46 sets for Danny. There is a photo of the invoice on Jim Riser's web site. http://www.jamesriser.com/Cups/Perigee.html . These may have been the last cups that Danny got from Perigee.

So, Jeff has sent a message to the seller stating that these cups were from a batch he made for Danny. Since he didn't get the chucks until after 1981, unless the date that the fellow who sold the cups to the seller is later than that, say 1983 or so, Jeff could not have spun these cups.

Jeff is clearly losing it. His grammar and punctuation used to be top notch. The grammar in this message is abysmal. "There is a significant different in one aspect that he and his spinners could never duplicate." I believe that should be "significant difference."

I am reasonably sure that Jeff did not spin his cups himself.

In a later message to the seller, he states that he has the rights to the Paul Fox material -- which has been denied by the Paul Fox estate, by the way.

In any case, he is not making a good case for himself.
"The Swatter"
Founder of CODBAMMC
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
Manteca, California
1884 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I met Jeff Busby one time when he was living in Oakland. I was totally turned off by his attitude. Now after reading numerous posts about the guy, I see why...
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
1460 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Jeff, as far as I know has not repsonded to the seller with the difference he is refering to. I sent an email to Jeff asking him why he was still using the PF trademark since he is no longer the Registar of said trademark? I have yet to receive a reply in regards to this.

Jake
"We've amused ourselves to death" Roger Waters
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
23941 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If I were the registrar of the PF logo, and someone else was using it, I would slap him with a cease and desist order.

Mind you, I'm not offering legal advice. I'm not an attorney. Nor have I ever played one on television. But I used to play with a kid who became an attorney. Smile
"The Swatter"
Founder of CODBAMMC
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
As a few of you already know, I am the seller on eBay with the Paul Fox Danny Dew cups who Bill is referring to above.

The person who is claiming to be Jeff (he got mad when I used the word claimed and insisted it was the real Jeff) is continuing to harrass me through eBay over the cups... I just recently switched the auction to a private listing so this harrassment does not spill over to any (hopefully) bidders... I should have done that initially, but I didn't think about it until a few potential bidders asked me to do so.....

I will refer to the poster as Jeff, but to give him the benefit of the doubt, I will not state for a fact it is him since email can be somewhat annonymous....

Anyway, Jeff has flat out refused to provide me with any addtional information about the cups. He said he refuses to help me since I am part of the problem. I did learn from him that I am a "monkey". Again, no hard evidence was offered, but that was one of his terms of endearment for me. It also explains my love for bananas......

I have been extremely polite to him since I didn't know him before these series of emails he has been sending me. Also, I am interested in being honest and factual... A couple of members of this forum know how much I have tried to be. I also appreciate their help and support.....

Oh well, some people just want to be angry. It defines who they are. If you take that away from them, they often don't have anything left or at least they like what they have left less than being angry....... I don't know if this is the case with the Jeff-poster, but he has at least decided that he would rather be angry at me than provide any additional information that would help others defend or refute his claims.....
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4530 Posts

Profile of silverking
It's rather sad actually. Jeff Busby was a brilliant researcher and detailed writer of a great many important magic books.
I have many of Busby's books in my library, and they're getting so rare that I dare not lose sight of them.

Who knows what he gets up to in Wallace, Idaho (a fabulous little town by the way) but he claims to still be very active in supplying magic to "real" magicians.
Those who have long recieved his emails will know however that they usually contain nothing for sale, and trying to determine if any of his older publications are still available is rather pointless as nobody ever directly answers emails.

Whatever happened to Jeff Busby to take him so far away from mainstream magic was a loss to magic. He released some truly amazing stuff in his time.

There's much more to the story, and many promises that weren't kept, but one could likely assume that this was all part and parcel of what was either going wrong for, or going wrong with, Jeff Busby.

To assume he had complete control over what he has said and done in the past might not be a safe bet.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
Spring Hill, TN...where the fences have
1452 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
None of this surprises me...when that whole mess went down a couple of years ago with Busby and a couple of other guys, I began getting random emails from Busby complaining about these two guys, who happen to be friendly acquaintances of mine. When I mentioned this, he started making accusatations toward me. I also mentioned to him that I thought it was in very bad taste for him to send me, someone he didn't know, gossipy emails. I then pointed out to him that since the "proof is in the pudding", and that a close friend of mine had sent him almost $100 for two videos that he NEVER EVER received, he quit responding to me...

Rick

Posted: Aug 18, 2006 9:54pm
OH...and might I also mention that Jeff never once responded to my friend and he never saw his videos...

Rick
Rick Green

The Modern Conjurer.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
23941 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I do know that Jeff is a diabetic. Evidently, he has trouble maintaining a good glucose level. This may have caused the problems he is having with his lower extremities. It can also explain some of the problems he has had with remembering to deliver merchandise.

But I don't consider it a valid excuse. I've been diabetic for the past 14 years. I take great pains to keep my blood glucose level where it is supposed to be. It isn't easy for some of us, and some of us have more trouble with it than others. I know a lot of perfectly rational people who are diabetics.

But some people use it as an excuse for bad behavior.

Rick -- if your friend has not gotten his order by now, he should file with the postmaster. This is way beyond legal limits. It's mail fraud.
"The Swatter"
Founder of CODBAMMC
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4530 Posts

Profile of silverking
A very well known musician up here in Canada was for years thought to be on a slow road to mental illness, only to find out that he was an undiagnosed diabetic.
The symptoms he had been showing for years were identical to a serious case of bi-polar at the short end, and full blown manic-depressive at the long end.

I don't know what happened to Busby, but I was suggesting was that in many cases even the person being spoken about might not even know what's going wrong with them, or even that anything IS going wrong with them.

.....I do admire his books, even though a definite paranoia starts to creep into his later writings.
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2090 Posts

Profile of MueCard
How is Jeff Busby now?

Does anyone live near Wallace, ID, and can tell something about Jeff?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jeff does lurk on the Café ( all sites ), looking for posts about himself.

Anyone making a derogatory post, Jeff points his weather machine at their city.
Richard Kaufman's city has had record rainfall and high winds for years.

"They'll all pay for mocking my genius"!

...Jeff Busby
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
JoshuaMichael
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of JoshuaMichael
They'll not only pay for mocking his genius, they'll pay and not receive their Braue notebooks.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4687 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2008-09-08 08:58, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Jeff does lurk on the Café ( all sites ), looking for posts about himself.

I challenge you on this Christopher. It may, in fact be true, but I doubt that you have any proof to back up your post. You should be more thoughtful, and stop posting for the sake of posting (for goodness sake!). Jeff Busby is actually quite ill these days. Despite his lack of judgement later in life, I prefer to remember him for his most positive contributions.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1285 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
If you issue a challenge, at least use your name. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Where is Jeff Busby? (1 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.255457 seconds, requiring 112 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [6] [9] [8] [0] [1] [4]