The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "The Festival Entertainer" by Keith Stickley (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Drebus
View Profile
New user
Michigan
1 Post

Profile of Scott Drebus
I am fortunate to have been given a rough cut of a book to review. The copy I have is called, "How To Book Summer Fair Dates" though the name has been changed to something more marketable as final touches are being added before its upcoming release. The review below is a combination of the rough draft that was sent to me, and information provided on the book's support website: http://www.howtobookfestivals.com/

Name: The Festival Entertainer

Author: Keith Stickley

Publisher: Keith Stickley

Date: August 1, 2005

Out of 10: 7 (though likely to go up to 8 or 9 after I read the published copy to see what additions and changes have been made)

[u]Contents[/u]
A full table of contents can be found on the site along with excerpts from a few chapters.

[u]Comments[/u]
"The Festival Entertainer" is a great book on how to become just that, a festival entertainer. Stickley's extensive experience in this field definately shines through every part of this book as he gives examples from his own life, and advice he learned the hard way, by getting out there and doing it and discovering these things first hand.

He starts simple, assuming the reader has never performed at a festival in his life. He explains what fair dates are, what the entertainer can expect from living a life on the road, the challenges of working outdoors, and how to develop suitable routines. After reading the first section, you will definately know if this is the life for you or not and have developed a show that will work for festival venues.

The second section of the book is the real "how to book shows" part of it all. It walks you through the entire process from assembling your "bible", how to get leads, who to call, what to say, how to follow up, contracts, add-ons, and more.

Finally, there are additional resources in the way of product resources, additional reading, blank forms and agreements, a directory of fairs and festivals (mainly for the United States), and best of all, a full support website where you can sign up for a FREE 5 Day Mini-Course.

I have been performing at summer festivals for over 8 years and there are many things in this book I wish I knew when I had first started. Even learning on my own through trial and error I still found a lot of useful advice in this book that I will definately put to good use right away. Summer festivals are a lucrative market that until now, nothing has been written about. If you want to cash in on this hidden gem, then this is the book for you.
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Hey Scott -

Thank you very much for the kind words!

I have exciting news! The Festival Entertainer is now printed. Since it was delivered several days before the release date, I will still be honoring the discounted pre publication price until August 1st.

Thank you again!
Keith Stickley
http://howtobookfestivals.com
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
To anyone wanting to make money is this crazy industry!

You should get Keith Sticklys book and follow his advice in getting shows for the summer! I just did my first "festival" show yesterday and it was tons of fun. I had to work around a band and just walked up with my briefcase when it was my time to perform. They really appreciated the fact that I was soo flexible and I was glad that I didn't bring that much stuff. They were already talking to me for next year and its all from following this book. I highly suggest that if you havnet gotten it yet that you do!! This is not one of those mega expensive "systems" this is actually practical advice from a pro that has been there and done it.

Robert Long
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, I have Keith Stickley's book in front of me now. This is the 1st time anyone in magic as actually told you the Who, What, Where, and How to get into any business in magic performing.

All the other 'so called' books tell you how after you have a client. Well, if I had a client I would not need that book or course.

So if you are serious and really want to have a 30 day positive approach to performing magic or any unusual performance for festivals, then get this book.

Very Very Very Highly Recommended!!!!!!!!!
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
You guys have no idea what it means to me that you have found what I have learned over the years, and finally put to paper, to be helpful to you!

Thank you very much for the kind words, and I wish you success this summer season!

Keith

PS - If you have any questions about the material, please don't hesitate to ask!
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Keith,

Just telling it like it is!

Robert
M Mykita
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of M Mykita
I just learned of this book's existence, and I'm wondering how it holds up after a decade. I see the website www.howtobookfestivals.com is no longer in use, so I imagine the 5-day mini-course is gone. What about the resources mentioned in the book? Are they still viable, or do they represent contacts that may not exist any more? I'll probably buy the book anyway because I'm sure there is plenty of useful knowledge in there. I just want to know how much is still relevant.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "The Festival Entertainer" by Keith Stickley (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL