The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Hiding stitches on cloth puppets - or the Jim Henson method - (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jean-Denis
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
126 Posts

Profile of Jean-Denis
When I was young and was watching Henson's TV programs, I was fascinated by how the stitches on the muppets could be easily hidden.

I then became very interested by the mystery and found that it had a lot to do with the type of cloth used. I recently read in one of Jim Henson book that the type of cloth used was "fur fabric". To me, it sounds very "large" as an answer, but I found that two types of cloth are similar: Cloth used inside many cars, or the piece of cloth used for velcro.

However, even then, when I sew one of these types of cloth toghether, the stitches are still there, but far more invisible than if I used other types of cloths. Am I missing a very important key point, or is it an error to simply "sew" them? Because if I glue the two peices side by side over a third hidden one, now it is really invisible.

I know I'm asking a very specific question, and I admit that "hiding stitches" may have become an obsession for me, but I think it is part of the magic.

Thanks for your help,

J-D
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
The 'muppet fleece' cloth is called Antron Fleece. Do a google search for it - the company stopped producing it a while back, but you may still find a place that you can order it from. The good part about ANtron that separates it from regular fabric store polar fleece or other synthetic fabrics is that it can be dyed using a hot dye like RIT dye. It is a fleece so it has a stretch to it but as opposed to fabric store fleece, it does have a 'fuzzy' texture on one side that makes simple basting stitches almost dissapear amoungst the fuzziness.
Good luck
Jean-Denis
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
126 Posts

Profile of Jean-Denis
Many thanks Damien, I wasn't expecting a so specific and fast answer Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Hiding stitches on cloth puppets - or the Jim Henson method - (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL