The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Cheap and versatile remote control. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

miscoes
View Profile
New user
Allariz, Spain
94 Posts

Profile of miscoes
Hello.

I've just built the infrared remote receiver shown in http://www.pjrc.com/tech/mp3/ircontroller/

I't works great with my laptop controlling Winamp to play the music of my show.

I've modified slightly the source code to support all the buttons of my remote ( althought I really only need 4 or 6 )

The circuit self-learn your remote codes and is ready to work in minutes.

Appart of making the circuit and programming the micro, all you have to do is activate SERIALKEYS in Windows Control Pannel and setup the hotkeys in Winamp. Then you set Winamp to stop after every theme. More of this, if you save autoload equalizer setups for every theme you can have automatic volume changes (loud introduction, background music, ...)

Cheap, versatile, sure... A great thing. I'm now in the work of substitute the infrared receiver with a wireless receiver (Aurel module) to have the remote inside my pocket and not over the table.

Try it. I's woth the effort...
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Miscoes

Good job on the remote, I wish I was an electronics savy person. You might want to have a look at this website:

http://www.linxtechnologies.com/index.ph......r_series

This is the same chipsets and hardware found in the Virtual Soundman. The webpage sells the receiver and transmitters, in optimal conditions you can trigger WINAMP at 3,000 feet. The site also sells USB adapter and OEM remote cases.

You might want to look into the software IR Assistant which should read the different buttons and assign keystrokes.

If you get a remote working with the Link Rf Module with WINAMP, you can even sell them to people in this forum.

PLEASE KEEP US UP TO DATE.

G0THIKE
miscoes
View Profile
New user
Allariz, Spain
94 Posts

Profile of miscoes
Hello again.

It's not my idea to sell anything.

I was in need of a solution to my show requeriments, then I found some almost-suitable to the needs, then I modified the system to my needs, BUT...

The initial work was not mine. It's a very simple project but has some very interesting features ( rs232 aka serial output, self learning, rs232 port power stealing, ... ) All I did was increase the number of buttons recognized by the device into the source code.

For the upgrade to RF, I have some AUREL digital RF modules in some junk parts box under my table ( time to find it ) I suppose that the receiver can output directly to the input pin of the 16f84 via a current limiting resistor.

In the remote side I can put the transmitter module inside the box and plug the Infrared diode directly to the input ( current limiting again ... )

The perfect thing would have a completly new circuit and firmware for the transmitter but I'm at holidays and I've no time to spend in it.

Of course, the reciver will have relay output to trigger a homemade confetty cannon and some other devices.

But... The important thing...
==============================

It's WINAMP who makes all the hard work:

- Manages playlist.
- STOPS after every song. ( Yes, you only have to set a checkbox )
- Sets independent volume for every song ( with auto load equalizer presets )
- Displays a very big playlist.
- Displays the current song in VERY BOLD CHARACTERS. ( I use glasses )

And... the money.
=================

Well, if you like me don't matter to you use a line-of-sight-infrared-transmitter
( remember, only while the RF version is not done ) compare the prices:

Virtualsoundman
---------------
iCue duoPackage
Includes a Sony CD Player : $599.99

It's nice, little, reliable, comes with a CD player and... It's RF ( BIG PLUS )

Used Laptop + IR remote
-----------------------
Here in Spain approx. 400$, 500$

It's a real PC for everyday use.
You can have a huge playlist and manage it easily.
Can have multiple sound outputs ( for monitoring in TRAKTOR, BPM, ... )

BUT... the solution I've proposed (now ) only works via IR.

AND... ( one more AND... )
==========================

My offer...

I'll be working in the RF versión at the end of mu holidays ( I'll be in Lorient, France, in the Festival Interceltique after 10 years without real holidays )

If any of you want to do a FREE-AND-COLABORATIVE-WORK and make a FREE-AND-EASY-TO-CONSTRUCT rf remote for magicians it will be a very nice gift for all the magic community.

Thanks about reading to here ( ok, I've not taken good english lessons here in Spain )

PS:

Of course I know this will not damage enterprises as Majiloon's or some others or... Doing your homemade egg bag damage the ecomomics of some vendor?

Oops.

I was not very polite with mr g0thike...

Many thanks about the Lynx chipset tip and Irassistant.

Of course, the circuit I've found ( not created, again... ) outputs a character to the serial port and does not need special software in the pc. If your application can use hotkeys you can use the circuit.

I set ON SERIALKEYS in Windows Control Panel, so everything read by the serial port is "keyed" in the keyboard and goest to the focused application.

I've tested some software to manage remotes ( GIRDER and the like ) and learned that you can open all locks and knock all doors in a Windows environment.

Thanks again about your advice.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Miscoes,

You might find some useful info in here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&129

Tell me what you think.

G0THIKE
miscoes
View Profile
New user
Allariz, Spain
94 Posts

Profile of miscoes
I've already read your posts some time ago and don't remembered the info.

It's almost the same ( only differs in the plugin I use to announce the track ) and can show that is a suitable and robust solution. Well... time to migrate to RF.

Should I have some time to test the RF modules I will be posting my results to be evaluated.

Many thanks about your aportations.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Cheap and versatile remote control. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL