The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Sponge Balls on the street (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Does anyone do sponge balls on the street?
Are they too small or too geared toward one spectator?

It seems like they would go over very well especially if it is a family environment.

Or another way to ask this might be...
If you were going to only do 3 routines on the street as a repeating set, what would those routines be (besides cups and balls).

Thanks,
Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I use the "bananna move" with sponge balls just to get the attention of folks walking by, when I am just fooling around. (If I am serious, I have a table set up and make a lot of noise to get attention..)

Standing, leaning up again a wall and appearing to produce ball after ball has a way of drawing a couple of folks over to start.

Other than that, I don't do sponge balls at all. But I think they would work if you didnt have too big a crowd.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Sponge Balls are great as long as they don't blow away. Cellini has a great routine with them taught in his book, the only drawback of which is having to set them on your tabletop. In San Francisco, and other windy cities, it's therefore impractical.

1. My single coin routine
2. A card trick
3. Knife thru Coat
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
I have used the sponge balls consistently in my street act and found that they do get a great reaction. Istick with 1" supersoft because they are lafrge enough to be seen but still "squich" down nice and easy. I have devoloped a routine that allows me never to have to put them on the table by using an audience members outstreched hands as my table when I need to set them down. As for crowd size I would be more worried about the position of the crowd. If you are in the round then half of the audience is not going to see it when your assistant shows the balls in his/her hand.
Mat
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
my current sponge ball routine does not require a table and that is quite a benefit.

so why is it called the banana move?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
fstarsinic,
The "banana move" is so called because it was originally done with sponge bananas -- creating an endless supply.
(Actually, that was the first sponge application; the move had been done for years before that with cigarettes, among other things.)
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Frank, I guess mabybe my PM answering the question didnt get to you. But Peter is right. The handling for "Endless Sponge Balls" as Duane Laflin calls it (where I first saw it) is just like what was done with Sponge banannas. And if you have reason to use them,(i.e. they fit your personna) the sponge banannas make a nice change of pace.

Another sponge item that can be used in all the same type of routines as balls, and the won't easily blow/roll away outside is 3D sponge rabbits.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Sponge Balls on the street (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL