The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Smooth hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Also, there is a product that you can find in many office supply stores. It's called "Tacky Finger" and secretaries use it to keep fingers moistened for sorting papers, etc. It's a waxy, yellowish, semi-clear, paraffin-looking substance that's not too greasy.

Another nice feature of this product is that it comes in a handy little plastic dispenser box that fits nicely and unobtrusively in your close-up case or show supplies box.

Highly recommended.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
142 Posts

Profile of Wizard
I also use "Tacky Finger" and if you never could do a perfect "Second Deal" try it!! You will be an "Expert" on Second Dealing in a few minutes. As Geoff said: Highly Recommended.
Wizard
FINIS CORONAT OPUS
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
While I can't agree that a substance that improves your grip will make you an expert in a few minutes, it certainly is helpful for those with dry skin.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
shooooo...

My hands are feelin' better just readin' all these solutions!!

I use Paquins lotion. You can find it in ANY drugstore.

John Cesta
Dave Lewis
View Profile
New user
Anaheim, California
83 Posts

Profile of Dave Lewis
My hands are bone dry all the time. One tip I found somewhere on one of the more inferior (sucking up in progress) magical message boards is the feminine hygeine product whose name rhymes with "magisil". One application to the palms and fingers allowed me to palm coins and do the Erdnase Color Change without my usual practice of licking the pad on the end of my little finger and transferring some of the moisture to the heel of the palm. I am definitely going to give the Golden stuff from Iowa a shot. Without any treatment, I can't palm the sticky side of a Post-It note!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I use Chamberlain's Golden Touch lotion which is sold, in California, in the Longs Drugstores. I use a liberal dose in the morning. But wait a while before handling cards, because it will make your deck sticky. After 20 minutes, most of it will be absorbed into the skin, and I wipe off the excess with a towel.

I carry a very small bottle of the stuff in my vehicle, and one in my close up case. Before a show, I'll just dab a very small amount on and rub it in thoroughly.

For those of you who have difficulty finding it, you can buy it from Martin Lewis. I also am quite sure that it is what is being sold as the "Frank Garcia" lotion.

Cornhuskers lotion is more readilly available, but I definitely prefer Golden Touch.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Doogie
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of Doogie
Drummers use a product I believe is called "Gorilla Snot" that supposedly works quite well....learned of this from a Geoffrey Durham lecture (popular UK magician).
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Gorilla Snot is a product also used by guitarists to help them hold onto their picks. It can be found in almost any well-stocked music store here in the US.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Sorry for bumping this thread wondering if in the past 10 years anything new has come to market
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I've written a fairly detailed essay on this topic, which some may find useful.

It dispels a few myths as well.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Nice write up Doug. Everyone has to experiment until they find what works best for them.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I'm with Steve, try all that has been suggested and use the search function to look this topic up (it gets discussion 4-5 times a year)!

MMc
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-09-03 22:00, ddyment wrote:
I've written a fairly detailed essay on this topic, which some may find useful.

It dispels a few myths as well.

FASCINATING!

Thanks for taking the timer to share your research and expertise!
MerlinCrow
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
56 Posts

Profile of MerlinCrow
If my hands are to slippery for the cards I use pure glycerine on the finger tops only,
and wipe it well with a clean handkerchief, this prevents residue on the cards.

Merlin
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Doug

Just out of curiosity does the corn huskers lotion have a strong fragrance smell?
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Loopback asked:
Quote:
Just out of curiosity does the corn huskers lotion have a strong fragrance smell?

Not at all. I know the ingredient list includes "fragrance", but it's not a noticeable one.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Wow!I had assumed that I was just clumsey and arthritic. Not being a woman, it didn't occur to me to use a hand lotion. LOL
ApprenticeWizard
View Profile
Regular user
Charlottesville, VA
170 Posts

Profile of ApprenticeWizard
I used to use "Quick Sort" but I tried O'Keeffe's "Working Hands" after reading about it on the Café and it works great. Can't say enough good things about that stuff. It doesn't seem to leave any residue on the cards, and it provides just the right amount of friction. Makes all sorts of fales counts, DLs and TLs much easier.
Magically yours,
Tom Olshefski
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Here's another vote for Corn Huskers. It gives me a tire-tread grip when handling cards or coins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Smooth hands (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL