The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best way to control a card second to top? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Bring o top by fanorite method, then double undercut with deck faceup to add the extra card above the selection. However, I got to agree the Tilt is probably the most direct.
redeagle
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
147 Posts

Profile of redeagle
How about the top cover side steal. I worked to improve my pass but never got it where I was happy. this move I found easier to do well and just as effective as the pass in most cases. regardless it is not as simple as a half dozen other options mentioned which work as well. KISS, ya know. strolling without a table, I would just use an overhand jog shuffle. The tilt doesn't work well if you have a group of people standing around.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I LOVE the bluff shift, Tilt, etc.

But more often than not, I put the selection on top of the deck and use Harry Lorayne's jog shuffle to control it to the top, second from the top, third.....
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Marlo's Tilt
Bobbert
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
152 Posts

Profile of Bobbert
If your a sleight junkie, as previously mentioned I use the "Slip Stream" which (a variation) can be learned on Tony Changs DVR download. I am also starting to use Harry Loraynes Ultra Move, which I just started being able to do decently and can be found on his book Classic Collection 3 I believe. Both are not only extremely good, but not to mention fun to do!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I don't know what constitutes the 'best' way but I think the most 'natural' way is using a corner short card (or even a corner crimp if working impromptu) as a locator.

One NATURAL table cut will put you straight into position (without the juggling - that often looks anything other than convincing).
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
7 years on the OP probably has already found his solution. But I will add a vote for the bluff pass. Deceptive and direct. It puts the card right where you want it. Tilt is a fine choice too as it is just as direct.

Jog shuffle variants are fine as well. If I'm going to shuffle the card into place I'll typically control it to the top and do an in-faro. But if the top card needs to remain the same then the faro is out. It's an easy thing to control it to the bottom and either double undercut or overhand shuffle the cards into the correct position.

I know I'm just echoing information that can be found elsewhere in this thread but hey, I'm procrastinating.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
dendrake
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of dendrake
There's a variation of the "Cherry Control" by Ricky Smith, that can do it.
robinr
View Profile
Loyal user
Greater Los Angeles area
226 Posts

Profile of robinr
This thread seems to have resurrected a year and a half later. Since Vinnie (the Godfather) came in a couple of times, I'd like the mention that Vinnie does the best Bluff Pass I've ever seen. It's one of those things that is all timing. Done well, imperceptible, done badly, painfully obvious.

And Vinnie mentions the Allerton Control from his classic book, The Closeup Magician. I'd add that Peter Duffie and I thought deeply about that control and independently came up with the same idea. I originally published my version in my Card Modes (Hades, 1983), the we published our joint version in our Card Conspiracy, Vol. 1 (Duffie/Robertson, 2003). Peter still sells the e-book edition.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best way to control a card second to top? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL