The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self working favourite (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
chrisis1
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
70 Posts

Profile of chrisis1
Neither blind nor stupid from Tamariz, followed by Out of this world. Or any card at any number from Barrie Richardson.
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
Untouched by Daryl...

Hirase
In love with magic!
obi-wan
View Profile
New user
UK
83 Posts

Profile of obi-wan
I think J.C.'s Super Closer and Out of this World would be my favourite self-working effects.

I'd say that these effects are much better used as closers rather than openers as they are fairly long and hard to top.

Thanks Smile
EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
Out of this world is amazing to layman. Another great one is You Do as I Do with lots of room for personalisation.
"Poetry is the Magic of Lies,
Magic is the Poetry of Lies" - Jean Cocteau
Bonford
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Bonford
Yes OOTW is amazing to laymen. There's a sleightless, no set-up version in one of Bob Longe's books that is so easy it's ridiculous (the whole book is geared towards kids I believe).

It's funny how a year of working at something difficult like raise rise will not get half the audience reaction
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I would not necessarily use these as openers, but a few of my favorite self-working (for the most part) card tricks include:

Out of this world (my impromptu version)
JC's Super Closer
Bannon's Play it Straight (triumph)
Tsunami
Diamonds of Shinkhara (mine)
Gemeni Twins
Fabulous Four Aces
James' Further than That
Fisher's Search and Destroy
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
An old classic by Stewart James....Miraskill
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
Has to be Paul Harris' "Overkill". Knocks them dead!
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Well I have to say everyone's missing the point of the self working being suggested, it's supoosed to give you confendence, as your openers your first impression, they want you to concentrate on presentation as opposed to watching your hands as performing your opener.

Now I'd suggest something like this, colour changing knives or lighter as you know the move is simple so no worries of detection. Now in a sense it breaks the ice, like this,
excuse me did someone here drop a red lighter, NO, (do the move) how about a white one, NO, so no one droped red, (SHOW IT) nor a white one, (show it) my then, if it's not anyones then, (POOF disappear) then well, we'll get on to bigger and better things.

HELLO my name's..?

You see opens fast, to the point something's magical about you. So that's my suggestion.
That's not a card effect but it's the point I was trying to get across, it's your opening, make it simple to perform and then you build confidence.

But, if I suggested self working trick with cards, I'd go something that grabs their attention, like the deck rising out of the card box, then into something like Dom has mentioned, like OVER KILL.
:bluebikes:
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
totalpackage56
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of totalpackage56
I personally LOVE Ultimate Coincedence from Fulves. I don't use it so much as an opener however for it KILLS!
Jim Robinson
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of Jim Robinson
Practically everything from Terry LaGerould's Magical Baker's Dozen and Phil Goldstein's RedivideR are "Self-working Miracles", if there are such things....
Robinson.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.... He to who this emotion is a stranger ... is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert Einstein
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Check out "Mental Stud" by Henry Christ published in Annemann's Miracles of Card Magic (also published in Jinx). Smile
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I think The Zen master by Ortiz is a good self working trick. If you can call it that.

Lee
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
"Untouched" by Daryl. Not only sleightless ( I don't like the phrase "self-working", but a perfect effect to do when asked: "Teach me something".)
Okay, you shuffle, you deal, etc.

It has no set up, and goes quickly. An advantage many of the above tricks don't have. Smile
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Quote:
On 2003-05-02 12:32, GeorgeG wrote:
An old classic by Stewart James....Miraskill

Great trick, but is it truly self working? One has to be able to remove and replace 4 of a colour undetected, which requires some skill and misdirection.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I love OOTW, like everyone else. Dr. Daley's "Last Trick" and "2 Card Monte" are pretty good too.
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
I go along with gkfreed option:

Untouch By Daril.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2003-05-03 13:33, VcosNJ wrote:
...Dr. Daley's "Last Trick" and "2 Card Monte" are pretty good too.

Neither of these tricks are self-working. Smile
MTaylor2002
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of MTaylor2002
Quote:
On 2003-05-03 13:01, gkfreed wrote:
"Untouched" by Daryl. Not only sleightless ( I don't like the phrase "self-working", but a perfect effect to do when asked: "Teach me something".)
Okay, you shuffle, you deal, etc.

It has no set up, and goes quickly. An advantage many of the above tricks don't have. Smile

Question: Is the effect "Untouched" the same as "Dream A Card, Any Card"?
antonuccio
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
132 Posts

Profile of antonuccio
Quote:
On 2002-11-01 05:03, Paul wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-10-29 06:16, antonuccio wrote:
I forgot to mention in my previous post a killer effect from Martin Gardner that I've found in a Fulves' "Self Working Card Tricks" booklet. Briefly, it's a two-deck coincidence with a double climax. Believe me, nothing can follow it.

Andrea Antonuccio

But what is it called and which Fulves book?
I always like a good reference Smile

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry but I've been off line for a while, and I simply missed your request! And now, for the good reference... Ultra Coincidence, Self Working Card Tricks, pag. 44. Please, try it before you judge for yourself. It's a real fooler, laymen cannot reconstruct it, and it leaves them speechless. It's the strongest effect I perform, not because it's sleightless, but because it's astounding. During repeat performances, I found that the less you speak, the more you obtain. The procedure is, from a spectator's point of view, easy to follow (and we all know that sometimes self-working tricks are convoluted...). What remains is magic, pure and simple.

Best,
andrea
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self working favourite (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL