The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell Game Pea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Yes the pea can can be high class magic if it is performed that way. The magician does not have to change the pea to water and can use other things.

What I used to do was to put the pea in back into the can after the shell routine and then change the pea into sugar. And my line for this was "That is why they call them "Sweet Pea's".
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1386 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I agree with Bish that the pea needs to be seen. That is part of the spectator knowing where the pea is so they can be fooled. I think it is obvious to everyone that to use a black pea under low light conditions is ill advised. To do it on a black close up mat would be stupid(not to say Bish does this).

That is another reason I like the S4S "perfect pea." It shows really well and is the proper porportioned item for use with the walnut shell type shells I use. I am not saying you can't use other items, or shouldn't, just that this is preference for me and many others. I have no business link to S4S so I am not trying to sell anything. I simply enjoy the look, feel, tacktileness and the ability to work on any surface as that gives a more impromptue feel to the trick.

I think if the audience suspects magnets, you are probably making far too many mistakes in the routine to give them that idea. Of course there are some who suspects magnets and wires in any trick, but if just a general audience member is lead to believe there may be magnets in use, it is probably a prblem in routining.
I would recommend watching and rethinking the act to see why.

S4S doesn't get a lot of my money, but that doesn't detract from my appreciation of the products they make and those that I use.

Kirk
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I have no ax to grind or product to sell. I have been doing the shell game for a very long time. 20 years or more. Many magicians that have been considered to be "Magic’s Greats" have seen me do the shell game. To list them would be to much but many of them are pictured at my web site.

I have performed the shell game inside and outside at almost every show I have ever done. And the point of this thread is to just give some observations about the pea in the shell game. That is little talked about and it is an important part of the effect.

It is just some ideas and information that I have gone through while using this effect over many years.

Enjoy!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
880 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On 2005-08-18 07:50, bishthemagish wrote:
Yes the pea can can be high class magic if it is performed that way. The magician does not have to change the pea to water and can use other things.

Glenn is absolutely right. Ken Brooke used to teach/sell a routine where the "final load" was a miniature bottle of whiskey. I still use this routine - the magic is strong and the kind that people will remember and talk about.

A "vulgar" premise and presentation can and should be changed, unless of course, you work in vulgar places for vulgar people. Smile

Riley
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I believe that Scotty York does the pea can as the hershey kiss machine...it is very commercial.
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I had bought the Vernet shells to play with and hated the pea. It was too slippery. (Did not like the shells either.) I just bought the S4S Street Shells and the shells are great. The pea, though, is fabulous. I do find myself practicing on different surfaces (I am no where near ready to perform yet,) and I appreciate the fact that it will work on any surface and that it has such a nice tacky feel. I don't understand why they should not advertise those facts. It is not like they are telling us their pea is great because it is a chick-magnet or something. How it works on different surfaces is obviously relevant. It is no different than advertising that a set of cups is great for the street--and having someone get annoyed with that because they do not do a street routine.
Chris
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I would like to mention that I own s4s products - have voiced a positive opinion about it many many times here in the Café and other places.

And in fact I was not the one in this thread that brought up s4s products and my observations are about little rubber ball pea's in general and how well the work under real world performing conditions.

What I say about little rubber ball pea's is from performing the effect over years and years in real shows at different places. That is a lot different than buying any shell game set and playing around with it.

Or doing the shell trick for friends a few times.

I suggest that people use them in real shows over years and then give their observations.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I was under the impression that the S4S peas had and are used on a day to day basis in thousands of shows, by many professionals.

Since I do not perform the shells, I reserve my statements to the simple fact that I found them easy to use, right from the beginning. That at least has some relevance for someone else who is new to the shells.

How they work for a long time pro, I will listen to the long time pros, many of whom do like the peas.
Chris
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
People use what works for them. I appreciate discussions like this when they focus on WHY something works for them. That's when I learn something. Sometimes I even change what I do.

I learned something here. The discussions of the pea can (which I haven't used in years) got me thinking that I should keep my pea in it and put it back at the end of the routine. If they want to try the game themselves, (I work a LOT of fairs with kids) I can open the can and pour out the hard pea. Perfect invisible switch.

It seems obvious in retrospect. I feel like an idiot for not considering it before.

Bill, I do agree with you that when we do the shell game (or any con or swindle demonstration that is "real" as far as the audience is concerned), it is precisely that look under the tent flap they are expecting. And if you don't meet that expectation, you run a big risk of disappointing them.

On the other hand, if you are presenting such things as magic tricks to begin with, you are creating a whole different set of expectations. I present the shells as an inside look at a con game. If I were then to turn it into a magic trick with final loads or such, I might get a big reaction, but I have just violated my character and it doesn't ring true.

As for hard surface vs. closeup mat, I always prefer a mat but I don't always have the luxury of choice. I have performed the shells kneeling in the dirt on old west boardwalks. Even if I had a mat on me, it would have been very out of place. A hard surface pea IS a selling point for me. To say that such things are silly or unimportant because it is not for you ignores the diverse needs of our entire community.

Glenn, I love your idea of the foil pea (and the line to go with it, but then you know my fondness for good puns). I wonder if you could make a foil ball "just" too big to work and then, after you've let them play with the toys and move them around for themselves, you take the pea back (compressing it enough to now do the move). Hmmmmm. Going to have to play with that.
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Hi Erik Anderson great post that pea switch idea with the pea can is a great idea. As is your idea with the foil ball.

I hope you are doing well!

Glenn
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
Hi Glenn,

I'm doing great. Just got done doing the shell game at the Iowa State Fair. I probably did it upwards of 500 times over the seven days I was there. Doing it under those conditions was really an education.

Hope all is well with you.
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Thanks Erik Anderson

I hope work for you continues to be great.

Glenn
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24143 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-08-21 21:54, Erik Anderson wrote:

Just got done doing the shell game at the Iowa State Fair. I probably did it upwards of 500 times over the seven days I was there. Doing it under those conditions was really an education.

There is nothing like "real world" practice to make a routine solid. I used to do the July 4 celebration for Shell Oil at the Plaza Club in Houston. This club is on the top floor of 1 Shell Plaza. To get to the club, you have to take an elevator to the 48th floor, then change to a second elevator to go to the club.

This was a three hour gig. For the first two hours, I would stand near the elevators on the 48th floor and do rapid-fire magic for the people who were waiting for the elevator. This was the ideal place to practice any very short routine.

Karl Norman came to our magic club, and during his lecture he taught the card under the glass. This is a routine that many magicians will not attempt for various reasons. But I was determined to learn it. I practiced the necessary technical parts at home until they were smooth. Then I decided that the 48th floor would be the ideal place to work on this. It was. By the time the two hours by the elevators was up, I had performed the card under the glass about 50 times. I never once got caught. But at the end of those two hours, it was as smooth as glass.

I'll bet your shell game looks great!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-08-20 10:46, twistedace wrote:
I believe that Scotty York does the pea can as the hershey kiss machine...it is very commercial.

That is a neat idea and might work well with the foil pea. Thank you for sharing that.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Quote:
On 2005-08-24 22:15, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-20 10:46, twistedace wrote:

That is a neat idea and might work well with the foil pea. Thank you for sharing that.

Yes, it is Scotty. He even had a special brass pea can made for it. It is a great routine.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
Scotty's "Candy Kiss Machine" routine was actually developed for Ken Brooke's Pea Can. At the time, Ken was selling a large pea can with a routine involving a tiny bottle of scotch and sales were slow. The "...Kiss..." routine was an attempt to give Ken a more commercial routine to improve the sales of his pea can. The can marketed by FYEO Productions was an exact copy of Ken's pea can (with his permission of course) and was made by Viking Magic. Although the routine was performed by Scotty at the bar, it is also a great routine for kids.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Is this pea can still on the market?
Glenn Bishop Cardician

leko
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
202 Posts

Profile of leko
Coming back to the "accidental" move which Bill and Dave mentioned seeing in Berlin, Budapest and Copenhagen, couldn't this move be incorporated in a magician's routine? Has anyone tried this? (without a cast Smile )
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
On the Pea Subject.

I use Bob Swadling's Shells in My bar, These are more like rounded caps than walnut shells, The sort of things a gentleman con man might have used in some colonial bar. They look great and handle well. I use SFS Street shells elswhere because they work anywhere on any surface. I use Whit's perfect Pea in both of them. I'm not a fan of Sponge peas because I like to feel exactly where th pea is, and I can control it better with Whit's pea. But I am fully aware that this is purely a personal choice, and I have no objection to sponge peas in other people's hands.

I am on a break from the bar now, but I will be back over there rolling silver foil balls to try.

My thoughts

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
leko
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
202 Posts

Profile of leko
In the meantime I did some experimenting. With a matchbox the "accidental" flash move is not so difficult but with our 'walnut' shells . . . . I don't know if it is feasible.
It CAN be done but it will take some practice. On the other hand if the move doesn't succeed either the pea isn't seen or the shell is turned over, in both cases no big deal.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell Game Pea (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL