The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Man Walking (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8003 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Bob Kohler is the producer of this good work of Dan's, but it can't be mentioned enough how excellent a coin man Bob is in his own right...One of the very best out there, bar none. Smile Just ask the best out there and they'll tell'ya! Smile
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
5. I don’t particularly like the immediate reproduction of all the coins at once,

Dan, while I agree that re-producing the coins one at a time can be very "pretty" (Tim Conover is living proof of that), it is not a true transposition of the cork and coins! OK...so maybe I am a purest Smile!

Mike
Mago_Magrin
View Profile
New user
Brazil
18 Posts

Profile of Mago_Magrin
Nice going on the DVD Dan....looks great
Don't stop!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Hey Mike, you are right about a pure transpo between the cork and coins if that is what you are after. I will say that do like the immediate production more than a long drawn out reproduction sequence such as miming plucking the coins out from the side of the cylinder one at a time, etc.

Just as a purely subjective asthetic call I like a rapid fire one at a time production. For me, the cork transposes with the first coin, then the others appear in rapid succession. (So it is a pure transpo with the first coin - the other coins just magically jump out in succession). One of the main reasons I like this in my routine is because I use an extremely visible change of the cork to the first coin. That one little bit gets a pretty strong reaction. By the time everyone starts thinking about the cork again, I am showing it back under the cylinder.

Anyway, this is one of the things I like about watching other people perform the routine... one routine, so many options...
Click to visit:
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
One routine, so many options...

Amen to that!

Mike
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
For those who want to learn the Cylinder & Coins routine, I am currently selling "The Magic of John Ramsay" Volumes 1 and 2 in THIS thread.

All the material on the videos are performed and taught by John Ramsay's only student, Andrew Galloway. If you want to learn the original Ramsay handling of the routine, here is an excellent place to start.

Dan
Click to visit:
gadget19
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, Nevada
31 Posts

Profile of gadget19
What a great DVD! I loved the 4 coins one hand routine, I as a beginner really feel this is something all beginners interested in coin magic should check out,it's a great routine which you can learn in minimal time.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Gaget,

Thank you for your compliments.

Since you are a beginner, I want to ask you something...

When I did the explanations for my routines I tried to explain them so that a beginner could learn the routines. I know not all the routines would be in the technical ability of a novice, but how well were you able to understand all the techniques needed for the routines?
Click to visit:
gadget19
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, Nevada
31 Posts

Profile of gadget19
Pretty well, all the routines you take the time to explain them as easy as possible, I like how you go into the different phases of the routine to break them down. It may take me a little while to practice them, but they were pretty easy to understand. I've seen several coin magic DVD's and I did find yours to be the easiest to absorb the material...
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
For those around the Philadelphia area, I will be lecturing at Marc DeSouza's lecture theater north of Philadelphia, PA on November 29th.

Marc's theater is awsome, 30 tiered movie theater seats with cup holders, etc.

I plan on focusing on the material I put on the DVD: Walk around, no table coin magic and magic that integrates the hands of your spectators. Plus one of my favorite marketed effects that fits this criteria.

If time permits I will get into some of the fundamentals of coin magic for those interested...

Those interested can send me a PM and I can put you in contact with Marc.
Click to visit:
coinmagic143
View Profile
New user
Annapolis, MD
70 Posts

Profile of coinmagic143
Dan,

Any chance you would come down to the Baltimore area to Denny & Lee's? Cheers,

Bill
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5247 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Yeah Dan, what do you have against Baltimore, hmmm?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I was planning on it. I wanted to get this lecture under my belt before I started traveling.

I plan contacting Denny after this lecture is done.

Dan
Click to visit:
coinmagic143
View Profile
New user
Annapolis, MD
70 Posts

Profile of coinmagic143
Awesome, we'll be looking forward to it
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
The is DVD is one of the finest. Dan's magic, technique, teaching and infectious smile are a joy to watch and learn from. You see the magic performed just as it would be in a real situation. Once again Bob Kohler productions comes through with a winner!!

My favorite routine is still 4 coins, your hands, but there are others that will find their way into your repertoire.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
bill7
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of bill7
IF you come to Baltimore they will come. So go to B more
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I just got January's MAGIC Magazine with Kostya Kimlat on the cover.

Therein, Coin Man Walking was reviewed by Brad Henderson. It's always a little nerve wracking to open up a magazine and read for the first time what is going to be said about your work in a well circulated magazine review.

I think Brad's review was as fair and balanced a review of my DVD as could have been written. It was an overall positive review that pointed out what he liked, as well as a little bit of critique.

To my knowledge, this is the first review of the DVD I have read, for those interested, make sure to check it out in MAGIC.

And thanks Brad for the kind words.
Click to visit:
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13217 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Not enough attention is paid to ensuring the hands look natural, in coin magic, I think.

Dan, you're coin from sleeve was very nice. Thanks for putting thought into making that look good. It did.

Is that something you've worked on in front of a mirror or what?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Frank, I was first aquainted with that particular production from Troy Hooser's "exTROYdinary" routine. Most of my coin magic I have done in front of a mirror or on a video camera at one point or another to see how it looks. That particular move is not really technically demanding, so no I did not put a lot of practice into that production specifically. I just do the move, and that's what it looks like.

I got permission to re-print the MAGIC Magazine review I mentioned 3 posts up. It can be viewed at http://www.coinvanish.com
Click to visit:
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1343 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Dan, what do you think of doing 4 coins your hands with silver dollar sized coins instead of half dollars? Do you choose half dollars for a reason?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Man Walking (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL