The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Man Walking (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5251 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The "4 Coins, Your Hands" routine is killer. But I already knew that as I have your Coinvanish Volume 2 book. Smile
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1128 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I will also be offering a review of the DVD in its entirety. Let me just say that Dan does an excellent job of performing and teaching these effects. He is obviously very well studied in the history of effects that have influenced his routines and, of course, the related sleights. I feel like I'm getting a thorough and concise little history lesson on each explanation of the effects (in a good way).

Dan is performing in front of only 2 spectators and they seem very aware of the cameras. This is always difficult and "breaking in" the spectators, which is relatively easy in a real environment, takes a bit longer in front of the cameras. You should take this into account as you watch the performances.

Dan offers a bit of "eye candy" where the spectators simply watch, and some very strong "in the hands" routines too. When you watch, you will see that the "in the hands" sequences illicit the strongest and most sincere reactions. This rule pretty much applies in the real world too.

I have performed "4 Coins, Your Hands" even for magicians and they are badly fooled by the method (especially if they are card guys) - I think this is a great routine and one of my favorites on the DVD.

Dan's performance of the Cylinder & Coins is great. While I know how some of the sequences are executed I'm still in a quandry on the vanishes. They are really fun to watch. In particular, I really liked how much of Dan's magic does not look like a bunch of hand jive, hand washing nonsense that makes you think "something's happening, I just don't know what" (this applies to the whole DVD).

Please buy direct from Dan if you can. It's always nice to buy direct from the artist. After he's sold out, go to Kohler. He's to be applauded for getting Dan's material out to us.
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
This DVD is excellent. Great effects, great explanations, and best of all,
no tables are required! woo hooo!

Cylinder and Coins is an excellent treat at the end of the DVD. Fooled me
badly. This is one of the best DVD purchases I have made all year.

It's great! I have CoinVanish 1 and 2 but's helpful to see Dan bring these
effects to life and share the gory details.

Thanks for sharing with us Dan.

Kevin
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Well GOOD NEWS GANG. Just received an email from Jeff, my magic dealer, and he will have a shipment of Coin Man Walking DVD in on Friday. Well, you all know what I did of course. I ORDERED PRONTO!

I won't have it on Friday; DARN; but will have it by Tues or Wed of next week. So, better go buy a fresh box of popcorn, or better yet, make sure I've got lots of toonies around, lol, AND a fresh box of popcorn.

Heck Dan, we should have asked you to autograph the first batch of these.

Anyway, REALLY looking forward to receiving my copy early next week. And, I didn't even ask my dealer the price. So I've NO idea what the cost will be. But, since they are 39.95 (I think, U.S. ) it will likely be around 47.00 Canadian.

Kind Regards

smitty

________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the back to back post, but I was wondering; I've heard once you have 50 posts, that that gives you secret entrance to even more on the Café. I don't understand this, as I don't see any links to anything 'secret' on here. So, to all you VETERANS on here, what am I missing?

smitty
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Smitty, glad your dealer is getting the DVDs.

As for over 50 posts, yes scroll to the bottom on the main page and you will now see a "Banquet Room" section that contains the Triple Dare, Secret Sessions, Threads, Reels, and Anchors, Inner Thoughts, and Deceptive Side of Magic forums.

You did not have access to that before.
Click to visit:
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Thanks Dan. I had never scrolled down before so didn't know anything about it. I'll check it right now.

Regards...smitty
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3504 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Smitty,

And if you want to reach the really, really secret section of the Café, you've got to have 65 posts, and send every other member $5.00. Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Accept for me, I require a $10 investment... Smile

Best, in fun

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Well, 5.00 dollars or 10.00. Is that in U.S. currency, cuz if it is, it'll be like 500.00 Canadian Smile

I can handle the 65 posts however, hehe. Almost there now.

Well, my magic dealer emailed me today, and guarenteed he would have Coin Man Walking in the store by Friday, so I gave him my order. I've already started saving my 'toonies' just for this DVD.

BEST.....smitty
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7291 Posts

Profile of paisa23
WHEW got it in today, Have to wait for the wife to go out to watch .So ill post later.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5129 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Dan,

Well I just watched your DVD, Coin Man Walking. First of all, a topic that's dear to me, production quality, Bob Kohler and crew did an excellent job with this, I know a little about production since when I worked in the real world, I was a broadcast engineer for a major university. Excellent job.

Now the magic, I recommend this DVD fully, some great walk around coin stuff in your hands and I bet with a little work you all will find some stuff that you can and will do on this DVD, real world stuff. There are some angle considerations on some of the effects but they can be dealt with by a little body movement. The great thing about almost all of this magic is it’s in the specs hands, that’s a very good thing.

I also want to point out his Cylinder and Coins routine (that's not Explained).... it rocks... Ramsay would be proud Dan.

Great job.

koz
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7291 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ok finished it and I will say that I am not the most or even near the most experienced when it comes to coins ,But I did love this DVD. Alot!!!!I am not the best at reviews but I will say that I really enjoyed watching the performance part. I always try to watch to see how many foolers there are and even though I knew some of the sleights he still managed to confuse me here and there. I have been doing "Four Coins Your Hands" but from watching the way he does it is really something else. "Lighting C/S" is just that. I don't think I have seen it any cleaner. "Double take transpo" is a really sweet quick routine. I have been doing this one since I got his Coinvanish books. Again I am not a world reknown magi nor should anyone here take what I'm saying seriously. I think this DVD is one of this years must have. The way Dan teaches is amazing. He will walk you through everythin step by step. Its almost like he is there showing you. Ive seen some DVD's where they say learn this here and refrence there which is good we should read more, But he takes care of you. I say if you don't have it yet. Go to paypal now.
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
GOSH Paisa23, you've got me SO EXCITED now, I won't sleep til next Tuesday when the Dvd arrives. I don't remember ever being so excited about receiving a DVD before. It's NUTS! But, I'm getting those toonies saved up just for practicing.

smitty
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hi Dan,

I'm just finished watching your dvd and I really liked it. The four coins, your hands routine is worth the price of the dvd. Also, like many others, I loved your performance of Cylinder & coins.

What I really liked also whas your subletly on the spider vanish, it makes the vanish look really convincing.

With kind regards
Simon
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Simon, which subtlety? There are two things I am doing different than the norm...

The one is the exaggerated left hand movement as I take the coin - this is actually from Paul Cummins' "Tarantuala Vanish" from his DVD "Up In Smoke". It is still a spider vanish, but a little variation.

If you are talking about waving the hand back and forth subtly instead of just a downward toss, that is just a stylistic thing I prefer.

Thanks again for the compliments.

Dan
Click to visit:
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hi Dan,
I meant the first sublety, the exaggerated left hand movement. I didn't knew that this was from the Paul Cummins vanish.
Its a real nice bit, and puts the heat even more on the other hand after it 'vanishes' from the right hand.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Yet another reason why to go buy Paul's DVD Smile
Click to visit:
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Just a note. If there are any Coin Men/Women here from the Toronto area, or Ontario, Browser's Den now has some Coin Man Walking DVD's. They just arrived today, and 'mine' is already in the mail.

Should have it Mon. or Tues..

How will I EVER sleep now Smile

Regards.....smitty

As Dan says, Paul Cummins Video or DVD is EXCELLENT. A MUST HAVE for any serious Coin worker. I've never seen the backclip better explained, and the routines Paul shares, are KILLER. I haven't mastered the move yet, but am working diligently on it.

This, along with Coin Man Walking, along with Mike Rubenstein's Coin stuff, along with David Roths coin stuff, is going to keep THIS COIN GUY busy for a LONG LONG time.

smitty
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7291 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I just wanted to update everyone that I am loving practicing these routines and tried a few on some friends. Great DVD once again. Thank you Dan
Dredz
View Profile
Loyal user
La Famiglia! East Coast
257 Posts

Profile of Dredz
Great dvd. Highly entertaining coin magic. I really enjoyed the routines. Nicely thoughout and constructed. Definatley a good buy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Man Walking (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL