The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Porper card clips/guards (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
erodoeht
View Profile
New user
Adelaide, South Australia
45 Posts

Profile of erodoeht
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering whether any of you have used these and whether the price of the clip/guard is justifiable for the benefits it does for the cards, i.e. to keep them straight.
I would probably choose to purchase more decks with the amount of $ that I would be paying for the guard, but would anyone beg to differ?
I thought of purchasing one recently because I find that I don't really take good care of my decks in the box, and I happened to come across some site which sold the guard that holds the entire box in place.
Any reviews on the guard is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
314 Posts

Profile of A.J.
Joe Porper's card clip is the one to buy...it is the best...period, end of story. Do yourself a favor and buy one...no, buy two, today.

A.J.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Here's a review of Joe Porper's card clip:

"Joe Porper invented the card clip. During his absence from magic, several dealers tried to make clips like Joe's but they simply didn't work. Joe's original was cut from a solid block of metal, not bent over to create the necessary shape. Now Joe has re-engineered this simple device to protect a deck perfectly. By pulling the sprung edges back from the deck, Joe has created an even grip across the cards. By shaping the clip properly he has made inserting and removing the deck simple."
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
No matter how many decks you buy, if they warp on the way to the job, it is a problem. Buy a clip. I use the Porper now. The one I had before costs abut half as much, but was very high quality and worked well. I haven't been able to find one like it in a long time.

I have seen a lot of cheap knock offs that don't work at all.

Save yourself the trouble and time and buy the Porper. It will last a lifetime and you will forget the money you spent on it and will just enjoy the use of it. By the way, you will have gotten fat eating all those cheseeburgers with the money you saved. Smile

Kirk
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
If you live in a humid climate and want to carry cards in your back pocket, it's a critical investment. If you live anywhere else, you should still find that it adds to the life of the deck.

I had a post a while back where I did the math showing that the clip paid for itself in a year (at least for me, I go through decks fast). If you search you might be able to find it.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
254 Posts

Profile of Alniner
I've got a porper and believe me, it's worth it. Try using it to hold your invisible deck. Your deck will stay newer longer. I was apprehensive about buying one as well, so I got a cheap one from Penguin. I thought it was good, until I saw a porper in person. Now, I barely use the penguin one. When I get the chance, I'll be picking up a second porper.
Skål

--
Alan
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
2 things:

1st is that its value can be looked at in many ways more than just how much it saves you in decks.

I love the look and the confidence it gives me to know I can carry a deck around with me and it will be in perfect condition always, you cant promise perfect condition with no card clip.

2nd is just that cards in a clip handle much differently than cards out of a clip.

Usually I cringe if a magician hands me a deck of cards at a meeting or whatever, because generally if the cards aren't 100% fresh or werent in a clip, they are going to have a slight bow or "pop" in the cards and any effects with reversed cards become near impossible.

I like the porper because anytime I grab a deck, I know exactly what condition it will be in as far as spring, straightness, bow, ect.... this is very important and any decks I keep out ofthe clip just aren't of the same quality...

So even if I don't save a dime on decks by making them last longer, I will still highly recommend a porper clip just to give good quality to the decks it carries.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Get a Porper! I have 3 now and I also use one to hold my invisble deck! man the invisible deck has no worries if it has come out of one of these before the show!

It is an investment and one of the best you can make as a card magician.

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I will definitely say that the Porper Clip is the Rolls Royce of card clips. Anything else pales by comparison. Invest in a quality product that will not only lengthen the life of your cards but also add a little class to your act! Buy a Porper today! Nuff said! Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quick question from someone ignorant of card clips.

Do they hold a deck while the deck is in it's box? Or do you place the deck, without the box, in the clip.

Thanks.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I always put my cards in the box and then the clip. I have tried to put it in without the box but it doesn't work as well as when the cards are in the box, as they will always spill out. I believe it is designed to be used with a boxed deck of cards. Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
I had to trade a buddy 2 dvds for his Porper clip. He got the last one at a convention we we're at. I'd do it again in a second.

Dom
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
... let these clips engrave! Looks awesome.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You won't believe it... but today I picked up two new Porper Clips (to photograph for ads and the website)... they are ENGRAVED... with Dai Vernon's Silloutte. There are two versions and believe me they will be collector's items. We may debut them at the Dai Vernon event at the Magic Castle on the 23rd.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I'm not a great fan of Joe Porper's signature on the spine but I have mine engraved, "Roger Kelly, plalying with a full deck....mostly" Smile

As for production engraving, how about a huge ace of spades on the back? Or even better, a court card. You know, in the same vane as black tiger card?

Ok I'll shut up! Smile
Sonicstabber
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of Sonicstabber
I would seriously recommend the Porper clip.. hands down.

I used the original Stainless steel one sold on Penguin, except I bought it from a magic store local to me ( Hey Presto) and I paid a motza for it ( $30 AUD). I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, until I met a magician with the Porper clip. I used it on my cards for an hour, while we chatted and discussed stuff, and I took them out, they felt amazingly a week younger. I had never got the same result from the Stainless steel clip.

I then said, I must have one.. or 2. I paid around 50 AUD for One, so.. quit complaining;). I'm 16, and I afforded 2 which are well worth it.. They make your cards last much longer, apply even pressure ( as stated before) and look so much better... The stainless steel constantly looked dirty and showed up scratches and stuff.

Eddie
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
I totally agree that a card clip is a life (or deck) saver here in Florida. Here's a link to one my friend makes. No apamming please, I don't make them.

http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com/access.html

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
Get two. I'm getting another today. they are DEFFINATELY worth it. Joe Porper clips are THE best. hands down. nothing else will do. trust me. get the porper. Get Two!
erodoeht
View Profile
New user
Adelaide, South Australia
45 Posts

Profile of erodoeht
Quote:
On 2005-09-03 08:38, Sonicstabber wrote:
I would seriously recommend the Porper clip.. hands down.

I used the original Stainless steel one sold on Penguin, except I bought it from a magic store local to me ( Hey Presto) and I paid a motza for it ( $30 AUD). I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, until I met a magician with the Porper clip. I used it on my cards for an hour, while we chatted and discussed stuff, and I took them out, they felt amazingly a week younger. I had never got the same result from the Stainless steel clip.

I then said, I must have one.. or 2. I paid around 50 AUD for One, so.. quit complaining;). I'm 16, and I afforded 2 which are well worth it.. They make your cards last much longer, apply even pressure ( as stated before) and look so much better... The stainless steel constantly looked dirty and showed up scratches and stuff.

Eddie

Hi Eddie
I am currently living in Adelaide, Australia and am wondering where you got your clip from? Please let me know
Thanks
Theodore
Sonicstabber
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of Sonicstabber
Theo, I got mine from Ellusionist.com I was going to order from Hey Presto, here in Sydney, but they were charging much more than if I was to get them from Overseas. It's one of the best and most reliable places to get it, other than from the man himself.

Eddie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Porper card clips/guards (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL