The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 21st Century Coin Mechanics (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Mr. Ray
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ray
Hi Josh! Almost all of the material is done standing. I could imagine someone doing this thing in college. I just showed couple of ROV Vanishes around and they screamed ( Just imagining how the routines will play if only a ROV vanish can accoplish screaming) In my mind this will work fantasticly in college and for walkaround.
Mr. Ray
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ray
Kiitos Larry! Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Thanks Ben.

Josh,

All but one of the routines are done stand-up. When I perform these routines I prefer to use silver dollars, but halves can be used. There are quickies like Copper Silver by Brute Force and longer routines like Coins From Vegas which is my favorite. All sleights are explained in the book with step-by-step instuctions and sharp b/w photos (over 300). A companion Video CD shows what the moves look like when performed correctly plus a performance of Coins From Vegas.

Larry Smile
Mr. Ray
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ray
The coins from Vegas looked amazing on the CD
Mr. Ray
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ray
And thank you Larry for clearing the move up for me. Just tried Digisteble Coins and it was fantastic!
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Larry

I get more and more amazed each day I read your book. I seriously learn something new from it everyday. This certainly is a book that you would grow with, and not a one hit wonder. Plus, the sleights are made for stand-up, closeup surrounded type environments, which is exactly what I like.

The Universal Retention Vanish and the Flying Changeover Palm really are the gems. Also, the Over-Easy Acquitment (I think it looks better than the Double Helix Acquitment, though the Double Helix CHANGE looks better than the Over Easy CHANGE) actually has a retention of vision in your hands.

In a few days, I'm going to be performing Copper/Silver by Brute Force and Boomerang Coins for a dinner party. I've decided to try and master just a few routines at a time, to prevent mental over-load.

Next up I want to tackle Coins from Vegas (I already know that it will be a bear) and Digestable Coins.

Come to think about it, Marion Boykin's Outstanding MB Transpo, which I'm also currently working on, is a trick that would potentially go well together with Copper/Silver by Brute Force, since both use very different mechanics that would cancel each other out, and have a distinctly different look...You can formulate some sort of story that would rationalize doing one trick, then the other.

Thanks again for releasing this!

Evikshin
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Evikshin,

Thanks for the positive comments about my book. It's really satisfying to me as an author to hear about other magicians studying my work and mastering the moves and routines. By the way, I often perform Copper/Silver by Brute Force using a finger ring and any coin at least the size of a quarter. I do that when I don't have my coins on me.

Marion Boykin's coin magic is outstanding and you were very wise to study his work.

Best,

Larry
znerps
View Profile
New user
Pulilan, Philippines
3 Posts

Profile of znerps
Hi larry, why don't you make a dvd for your 21st century coin...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
He does, znerps...at least I think it's a Video CD, at least. He proves every effect is WORKABLE..

I was really surprised that the Flying Changeover Palm is one I've been doing since the 70's, but Larry's version works better! And that SUV... Smile

Doug
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2010-07-31 14:33, Dougini wrote:
He does, znerps...at least I think it's a Video CD, at least.

Well, not really. The video CD is simply a series of performances, all very short and showing the sleight only. (I believe most are on YouTube). With a DVD you usually see the performance of each sleight plus an audio and visual explanation of how each is done.

znerps, I think that is what you were getting at, but if not I apologize.

Thanks!

Jim
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Hi Znerps,

21st Century Coin Mechanics came out in the Fall of 2005. Soon after it was published, readers asked me if I could put together a series of videos showing what the moves looked like when performed correctly. So I put together a series of short clips of the relevant sleights. These were performances and not meant to teach the moves. Also on that video CD I filmed a performance of "Coins From Vegas" which incorporates many of the key moves taught in the book. I sold the Video CD at a nominal price for those purchasing the book.

My second book, Kingdom of the Red has a companion DVD which includes teaching and performances.

Right now, I have no plans for a teaching DVD for the material from the book. All my free time is being spent on my third book (The Book of Destiny) which has been written, and we are in the process of filming the last 25 photos out the 750 from the book. It should run about 350 pages and like the other two it will be a hardcover book with dust jacket. After that, we'll start filming the teaching and performance DVD for the new book. When that's done, I may revisit the idea of a teaching DVD for the material in 21st Century Coin Mechanics.

Like Kingdom of the Red, the new book will have a variety of material including original magic with cards, coins, balls, rings, predictions, original apparatus etc.

Larry
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Wow! 750 photos Dr. B? That's more photos than any book I've owned I believe.

Sounds great! Does the new book cover all disciplines of magic that you perform? (Rather than mostly coin magic)

Jim
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I gotta say one more time, if you are a coin worker, 21st Century Coin Mechanics book is up there with the best! I'm sure it will become a classic. I just hope it doesn't go out of print!

The other two books are highly recommended as well, and are on my wish list for future purchase. I'm so thankful that Larry has made these available!

Doug
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Doug,

I cannot agree more. 21st Century Coin Mechanics is one of the best in my magic library. I haven't read any of Larry's other books - yet - but this one is pure cream!

Jim
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Way back when I got my book, Larry included that really cool Chinese coin! I gotta tell ya, I owe Larry more than I can ever repay...

Doug
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I owe my retention work to him. Mine never looked better than it has since adopting Larry's methods. And the "flying" moves - I read them and thought at first, "Ha! I'll never even try that in front of people! Crazy." Of course now they are second hand and I do them in front of people all the time. Really great stuff!

Thanks!

Jim
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Sounds like I should get this one.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-08-03 21:47, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Sounds like I should get this one.

No question about it, Jazzy. You will cherish that book the rest of your life. You won't find effects like those ANYWHERE else! Really cutting edge.

Someone asked me in a PM if the book was good for beginners. That's a hard question. I think you'll have to know the basics. The Classic Palm. The various Finger Palms. The Changeover Palm, etc. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic is a great one to start with. Once the basics are mastered, 21st Century Coin Mechanics is PRICELESS. There is SO much information in there. Just the SUV is worth the price of the entire book! If you've ever wanted to improve your Retention Vanish, that's the one I recommend! Plus, Larry gives you his priceless routines, that will absolutely SLAY them. I was blown away.

I am looking forward to Larry's other books. I'm sure the Magic Castle will be adding them to their library soon.

Best,
Doug
Jboeskin
View Profile
New user
Yuma, AZ
81 Posts

Profile of Jboeskin
Wow it 20th Century Coin Mechanics sounds great! I was trying to decide on either David Roth's Expert Coin Magic (book) or Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic; now there's this!!! lol. I think i'me leaning more towards 20th cent since it sounds so great!
Jboeskin
View Profile
New user
Yuma, AZ
81 Posts

Profile of Jboeskin
Do you guys think this is a good idea or would you recommend otherwise? I currently have Bobo's MCM and want something new
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 21st Century Coin Mechanics (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL